Old 05-14-2013, 04:34 AM   #1
asllearner
Enthusiast
asllearner began at the beginning.

Device: none
lost records on command line recored creation in mac osx

Per this thread
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=mac+calibredb

I created a set of commands for terminal (on mac osx snow leopard) using latest calibre
which I pasted into terminal
such as:
calibredb add -e -t "One more time memoir " -a "Carol Burnett" -T "114" calibredb add -e -t "Treasury of Jewish Humor " -a "Nathan Estillo" -T "114" calibredb add -e -t "Uncommon Law" -a "A. P. Herbert" -T "114" calibredb add -e -t "Absolute Zero Gravity" -a "Devine and Cohen" -T "114" calibredb add -e -t "It Was a Dark and Stormy Night Bulwer-Lytton Contest" -a "" -T "114" calibredb add -e -t "Getting Even" -a "Woody Allen" -T "114" calibredb add -e -t "Small Dreams of a Scorpion" -a "Spike Milligan" -T "114" calibredb add -e -t "Without Feathers" -a "Woody Allen" -T "114" calibredb add -e -t "50 Delightful Witty Provocative Great Essays" -a "Houston Peterson" -T "114" calibredb add -e -t "Take a Bow BC" -a "Johnny Hart" -T "114" calibredb add -e -t "BC The Sun Comes Up and The Sun Goes Down" -a "Johnny Hart" -T "114" calibredb add -e -t "Don't Give Up Charlie Brown" -a "Schultz" -T "114" calibredb add -e -t "Group Sport in Time" -a "" -T "114" calibredb add -e -t "BC Strikes Again" -a "Johnny Hart" -T "114" calibredb add -e -t "American Verse From Colonial Days To the Present" -a "Oscar Williams" -T "114" calibredb add -e -t "Hooray For BC" -a "Johnny Hart" -T "114" calibredb add -e -t "Hey Peanuts" -a "Schultz" -T "114" calibredb add -e -t "The Complete Naffa Guide" -a " Viston Percherbart & Lasex" -T "114" calibredb add -e -t "The Definitive Barber BDQ Bach" -a "Professor Peter Schickele" -T "114" calibredb add -e -t "Love is When You Meet a Man Who Doesn't Live With His MOther" -a "Irene Patchunick" -T "114"
this works, except the record for Hey Peanuts does not get created.

I tried with a different set of books, and sometimes several records did not get created. Which records seemed to vary from attempt to attempt.

If I try the record individually, however, it does get created properly.

It appears as if the calibredb commands are happening too quickly and adds are getting skipped. I say "appears"...Maybe terminal is garbling the cut and paste?

I tried with and without calibre being closed at the time of import.

In short, different results each time, randomly missing records.

I htought stray characters were doing it, but this bombs too:

calibredb add -e -t "Gardening In Containers" -a "Ortho Books" -T "142 "
calibredb add -e -t "Illustrated Guide To Gardening" -a "Reader S Digest" -T "142 "
calibredb add -e -t "Gardening" -a "National Gardening Association" -T "142 "
calibredb add -e -t "Growing Up Green" -a "Gelstely Huckaby" -T "142 "
calibredb add -e -t "Growing Vegetables" -a "Newcomb" -T "142 "
calibredb add -e -t "Succesful Cold Climate Gardening" -a "Lewis Hill" -T "142 "
calibredb add -e -t "Canning Freezing Storing Garden Procedure" -a "USDA" -T "142 "
calibredb add -e -t "Farming And Food" -a "John Terrent" -T "142 "
calibredb add -e -t "Herb Handbook" -a "Pamela Weslin" -T "142 "
calibredb add -e -t "Food Power From The Sea The Seaweed Story" -a "Fryer And Simmons" -T "142 "
calibredb add -e -t "How To Grow Beautiful Flowers Vegetable And Plants Indoors With Lights" -a "Duralight" -T "142 "
calibredb add -e -t "Gardening With Herbs For Flavor And Fragrance" -a "Helen Morgenthau Fox" -T "142 "
calibredb add -e -t "Our Plant Friends And Foes" -a "William Arthurton Dupuy" -T "142 "
calibredb add -e -t "Herbs And Things" -a " Gene Roses Herbal" -T "142 "
calibredb add -e -t "CrockettS Indoor Garden" -a "James Underwood Crockett" -T "142 "
calibredb add -e -t "CrockettS Victory Garden" -a "James Underwood Crockett" -T "142 "
calibredb add -e -t "Organic Gardening Harvest Book" -a "" -T "142 "
calibredb add -e -t "Amazing New Hurry Up An Grow Plants And Gardens" -a "Jacqueling Heriteau" -T "142 "
calibredb add -e -t "Some Common Poisonousmushrooms Found In Maine" -a "Mes Orono" -T "142 "
calibredb add -e -t "Fireld Guide To Wild Herbs" -a "Ed Of Rodale Press" -T "142 "
calibredb add -e -t "Basic Book Of Organic Gardening" -a "Ed Robert Rodale" -T "142 "
calibredb add -e -t "The Apartment Gardener" -a "Dworkin" -T "142 "
calibredb add -e -t "Healing Herbal Remedies A-z Guide" -a "Ryan maslin Shaelaghrmaslin" -T "142 "
calibredb add -e -t "Natural Herb Gardenign" -a "Marie Luise Kreuter" -T "142 "
calibredb add -e -t "Magic And Medicine Of Plants" -a "Reader S Digest" -T "142 "
calibredb add -e -t "Dorling Kinderlslys Herbs" -a "Leslie Bremlis" -T "142 "

Last edited by asllearner; 05-14-2013 at 04:53 AM.
asllearner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:59 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
If your calibre library is in a cloud directory like Dropbox then pause syncing prior to doing bulk operations and you should be fine. If this is not the case then exempt the library from real time virus protection. Hopefully one of the previous two suggestions will work.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2013, 05:18 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Use -d
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:31 AM   #4
asllearner
Enthusiast

well, not sure about -d, since there were no duplicates in my entries, and I was working from a blank database.

:-) But, I think using a bash shell may be the solution.

It is working so far, but I am still testing. I am creating about 5000 records, so I want to be pretty sure none get lost. I can't actually guarantee there are no duplicate records (they will have different tags, representing the box they are in, but there may be several copies of the same book.)

I dont know about real-time virus protection. In Calibre?...OH...you mean on the computer. done that.

thanks for the replies...

Last edited by asllearner; 05-14-2013 at 07:42 AM.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:40 AM   #5
asllearner
Enthusiast

@kovidgoyal just want to say calibre is a beautiful piece of software. Bravo and many thanks!
Advert
Old 05-14-2013, 08:26 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You're welcome
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
create record, missing books