Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-30-2011, 12:21 AM   #1
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Device: kobo
Love

I really liked my original Kobo a lot. When I upgraded to the Wi-fi I was delighted. But the Touch -- oh, my. It is much more different from the earlier versions than I had expected, based on what I've seen in the forums here.

I'm amazed at how much control there is over so many reading parameters, over the user interface -- which is way way beyond the others -- at how it handles PDFs, at how fast the screen refreshes, etc.

I often used the other versions with one hand, holding the reader in my left hand and pushing the D-pad with my thumb to turn pages. My hands aren't large, but it's only slightly more of a stretch to reach the side of the screen, and I think that's more than made up for by how much lighter and smaller the Touch is.

So far, I'm very much a fan, and really happy I upgraded.

Last edited by corona; 07-30-2011 at 03:15 PM.
corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 12:54 AM   #2
nightlite
nightlite began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Glad to hear. Kobo Touch is my first ereader too and I'm very happy with it.
nightlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2011, 12:59 AM   #3
EMG
EMG began at the beginning.

Fell in love with mine too!
EMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 11:56 AM   #4
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
I recently bought a pair of Kobo Touch for my wife and I, and we're both very happy with it. It has its quirks, but it excels at the one thing we bought it for: reading books.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 02:12 PM   #5
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
It's a nice reader. I had a bad experience with a prior Kobo and Kobo CS. But, they have really stepped up with the Touch.

As you can see by my profile, I have several ereaders. My KT is right behind my Kindle as far as favorite ereader.
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2011, 10:22 PM   #6
molman
Evangelist
molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by voracious71 View Post
It's a nice reader. I had a bad experience with a prior Kobo and Kobo CS. But, they have really stepped up with the Touch.

As you can see by my profile, I have several ereaders. My KT is right behind my Kindle as far as favorite ereader.
Can I ask why you have so many readers?

.. and what the Kindle 3 has that you like better? (it was my second choice so I'm curious).
molman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:20 AM   #7
know-one
Connoisseur
know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kOBO
Anyone who's read just about all my posts knows how much I'm sold on the Kobo.
Kobo was my first ereader.
But I'll say one thing in fairness, I looked all over the net for what was best quality/price and to my personal judgement, Kobo came first.
I went about this for almost two months - what an itch!
Ten minutes after buying Kobo - I was more satisfied than what I expected to be.
And so far, it only gets better everyday!
I think I'm the Kobo poster boy - lol!!!!
know-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:29 PM   #8
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by molman View Post
Can I ask why you have so many readers?

.. and what the Kindle 3 has that you like better? (it was my second choice so I'm curious).
I have a gadget addiction and disposable income. The K3 has excellent CS support, and I like the games you can get on there. It is also a tad bit faster than the KT. I also like the keyboard and the physical page turn buttons. My K3 is the 3G one and I've used the 3G more than I thought I would.
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:32 PM   #9
m_bisson
Groupie
m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.

Device: kobo touch :)
Don't tell my girlfriend, but lately I'd rather spend time with my Touch than with her :O
m_bisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:37 AM   #10
molman
Evangelist
molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
I have a gadget addiction and disposable income. The K3 has excellent CS support, and I like the games you can get on there. It is also a tad bit faster than the KT. I also like the keyboard and the physical page turn buttons. My K3 is the 3G one and I've used the 3G more than I thought I would.
CS support?

I've got to think games is a bit of a niche in the age of smartphones etc. that do it better.

Intereting about speed. Haven't had a chance to compare head to head yet. Wonder if the touch adds lag as the KT should have the fast processor.

3G, Meh. Most smartphones are mobile hotspots now, but I can see the attraction for some.

Anyway thanks for thoughts.
molman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:36 PM   #11
KoboNo
Connoisseur
KoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by corona View Post
I really liked my original Kobo a lot. When I upgraded to the Wi-fi I was delighted. But the Touch -- oh, my. It is much more different from the earlier versions than I had expected, based on what I've seen in the forums here.
New technology is nice but I have never seen the need to upgrade from the original eReader model. They've released three models - original, Wireless, and Touch - in about a year, while still struggling to meet the needs of their original userbase.

I can see if your interests are only in having the latest and greatest all the time, but three devices in about a year is too much for most people. A tablet device would be a much better investment in that case.
KoboNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:21 AM   #12
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoboNo View Post
New technology is nice but I have never seen the need to upgrade from the original eReader model. They've released three models - original, Wireless, and Touch - in about a year, while still struggling to meet the needs of their original userbase.

I can see if your interests are only in having the latest and greatest all the time, but three devices in about a year is too much for most people. A tablet device would be a much better investment in that case.
I just want an e-reader, not a tablet. I've managed to sell/trade/exchange so it's not like I just kept shelling out the dollars or anything.
corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 03:50 AM   #13
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
Quote:
I have a gadget addiction and disposable income.
I can help with that. If you buy me an ipad2 I'm sure you'll feel better about your addiction.
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:45 PM   #14
Pistos
Connoisseur
Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoboNo View Post
The new devices are not just for existing users with older Kobos, but probably more for the sake of having a better product for new users (like me).
Pistos is offline   Reply With Quote