Notices

Old 12-16-2011, 03:03 AM   #31
Julien Pham
Connoisseur
Julien Pham began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
Isnt that interesting. I bought a Sony PRS650 because thats what I wanted, the feeling of reading a real book, when I was reading ebooks. I am certainly very impressed with the resolution on the reader, and the features that come with it, but I get really annoyed by the little sceen flash on page turn. I'm a fast reader so the flash is quite often. I know its not something one can avoid, but it has annoyed me sufficiently to stop using it. Again. I keep trying. The size of the unit is perfect.
On my Kobo I can setup the number of pages before the screen refresh. Default is 6 pages, and it is good like that.
And btw, I think the black flash is shorter than the time it takes to turn a page on a real book ^^ This black flash does not bother me at all.

I'm not that fast a reader, and I read fantasy books in english, which is not my main language, so... I take my time reading ^^
Julien Pham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 02:00 PM   #32
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, nook Glowlight Plus, Apple iPad Air 2
I find this thread interesting.

People are complaining because Apple has stupid DRM.

Well, EVERYONE has stupid DRM. If you buy from Amazon, or B&N or Sony or Kobo, all those books have DRM. The only difference is that someone has figured out how to crack that DRM and decrypt your books.

Of the the three, I find decrypting B&N purchases the easiest, so I tend to buy my books from there. B&N's drm also does not require checking into a central server of some kind, like Adobe Digital Editions server does.

My purchasing habits are dictated by the best third party tools available to liberate my books. If there were tools that made liberating iBooks easier than the other three mentioned, my purchasing habbits will change, and I will stop buying from B&N.
apastuszak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2011, 09:11 AM   #33
Julien Pham
Connoisseur
Julien Pham began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
I find Adobe one the easiest to decrypt, because with Adobe DRM I just have to use Calibre and a Calibre plugin and it removes the DRM automatically when I import my book into Calibre, I have nothing more to do

I prefer buying on the Kobo store because this way I have kepub expanded version, and I can download the ADE one as well. So the best of two word, a prettier book with the kepub version, and a DRM free (mmm Adobe DRM then DRM free ^^) version for Calibre as well
Julien Pham is offline   Reply With Quote