Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-09-2011, 08:10 PM   #31
DarkRoast
Enthusiast
DarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Sony Reader 650
I just went and grabbed my pbook off the bookshelf. I read it a little while ago and it didn't even occur to me at the time that there was a lack of punctuation. So I was surprised to find that there was indeed no quotes. It mustn't have been that important.
Saying Cormac McCarthy doesn't know how to write is like saying Picasso doesn't know how to paint because his figures aren't always anatomically correct. Whether it's to your liking is a completely different matter.
As far as substance goes, it is a bleak book. I thought it goes to the core of humanity in a way that was mentally and emotionally challenging. The imagery created, lingering long after the book had gone. I saw the movie about a year later. I couldn't watch it. It was too dark, too relentless. Maybe some things are better in book form, allowing your own mind some freedom to construct the world and its meaning. From memory, I did skip over some parts but the image of those two lost souls on that long, cold road is still etched in my head. Not my most favourite book but one of the most affecting.
DarkRoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 01:10 PM   #32
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Funny you mention the movie. I couldn't watch it through either. But then again, I set down The Road many times for a break when I read it too.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2011, 01:31 PM   #33
Mitch G
Connoisseur
Mitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkRoast View Post
Saying Cormac McCarthy doesn't know how to write is like saying Picasso doesn't know how to paint because his figures aren't always anatomically correct.
Well put.

Mitch
Mitch G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 01:45 PM   #34
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
It's a stylistic choice that McCarthy has made. He's not the only one. Has anyone ever read Pynchon or e.e. cumming?
Sometimes you have to break the rules to produce great art. Whether or not he was successful is another matter, but I don't understand the anger directed at him.

If some people appreciate his work even if I don't then that's a good enough reason for me.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:42 AM   #35
tm3
Groupie
tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle 3
[QUOTE=DarkRoast;1387341]Saying Cormac McCarthy doesn't know how to write is like saying Picasso doesn't know how to paint [QUOTE]

yep

incredible book. one of the few that i read straight through in a day.

i never noticed the punctuation or lack thereof.

ymmv
tm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2011, 11:22 AM   #36
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
When there's some author's style or body of work that just rubs me the wrong way -- and I can't (for the life of me) understand why so many others like it -- I remind myself it's just possible, that it may be due to a defect of my own.
Excellent point - karma coming your way.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:55 PM   #37
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
It doesn't have much punctuation. Here, let me sum up the whole story for you: I'm scared. I know, I'm sorry. I'm scared. I know, I'm sorry. (repeat 10,000 times) The end.

Ptttt!

Not in the least.

This is an incredible book, one of the best I've ever read.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:58 PM   #38
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
While I didn't like the book, I will agree that the lack of punctuation gave it a certain tone and lent to the starkness of the story. I rather liked the style once I got into it.
It wasn't done for this book. It is simply his style.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:20 AM   #39
lila55
Fanatic
lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360° , iPhone 5, PRS-650, Sony PRS-T2, Sony PRS-T3, Tolino
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Ptttt!

Not in the least.

This is an incredible book, one of the best I've ever read.
I am just about halfway through and that is how I feel about the book as well. It is really hard for me to put it down, as it pulls me into its own barren world in which the man and his son seem to live in their own bubble, very closely interwoven with each other.
lila55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:29 AM   #40
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I read The Road about seven months ago and loved it. Very bleak, but it drew me in.

I'm surprised at the debate in this thread over his punctuation. Shouldn't an author have the right to punctuate as she sees fit? It's an artistic choice. If one doesn't like it, that is fine. But I feel that complaining that it should be punctuated a certain way is wanting to force one's opinion on others.

The funny thing is, I must've been distracted while reading, because I didn't even notice that it didn't contain any quotation marks while I was reading it.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:52 AM   #41
kennyc

Quote:
It doesn't have much punctuation. Here, let me sum up the whole story for you: I'm scared. I know, I'm sorry. I'm scared. I know, I'm sorry. (repeat 10,000 times) The end.
Ah but a perfect reflection of life itself.

McCarthy has from the beginning written his work without much punctuation. It's simply his style and in my mind it works and there is something to be said/learned from it.