Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-03-2009, 01:15 PM   #1
Neil
Addict
Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 6, iPad Air, Kindles HD 8, HD 10, Oasis 3, Scribe, PB Color
Looking for User-Dependent not Device DRM reader

Hi -- I have a Kindle 2 and I like it but I am considering finding a different reader because of the way Kindle does its DRM protection. As you may know the Kindle uses mobi or azw files that are DRM'd with the PID number being drawn out of a secret serial number in the Kindle itself. So should you ever buy something that is not a Kindle you lose your whole library.

On the other hand, my eReader files on my phone are also DRM'd but they unlock with my credit card number not a device's serial number.

So I am looking for a reader that has as good and as large a display as a Kindle 2 but uses a DRM protection scheme that would allow me to change reader brands in the future and still be able to unlock my books.

I actually do know about the various python scripts and I can use them. But I'd rather not just get around this Draconian DRM and still monetarily support the companies that use it. Rather, I would like to find a DRM I can live with and reward whatever companies care enough about consumers to make such available.

Any ideas?
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 01:50 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
As you say, the eReader DRM is not device specific at all, except that you need reader software from eReader (and they are actively developing versions for new device types). The DRM has also been circumvented, so you can even run on devices without eReader software if you strip the DRM.

There are currently no EInk devices with eReader support, but Astak has announced support will be available on all their readers this summer. They will also support Adobe PDF/ePub on the same devices, see Adobe Digital Editions for EZ Reader. The only current Astak device is the EZ Reader (Hanlin V3), which is on sale this weekend (FRY's Electronics Astak EZ Reader Blow-Out). Or you could wait for the 5" EZ Reader Pocket Pro (Hanlin V5), or Astak's Mentor line which will be based on Netronix devices.

EDIT: The eReader SDK that Astak is using is from eReader (i.e. from Fictionwise, which is now part of Barnes and Noble). They presumably have their own plans for EInk devices.

Last edited by wallcraft; 07-03-2009 at 01:53 PM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 03:23 PM   #3
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
As you say, the eReader DRM is not device specific at all, except that you need reader software from eReader (and they are actively developing versions for new device types). The DRM has also been circumvented, so you can even run on devices without eReader software if you strip the DRM.

There are currently no EInk devices with eReader support, but Astak has announced support will be available on all their readers this summer. They will also support Adobe PDF/ePub on the same devices.
I only buy Ereader DRM books for the simple reason as stated It is device independent and they are constantly updating their software for more devices.

I have Astaks' EZ-Reader and am waiting their firmware upgrade. With the addition of Adobe DRM I will be able to borrow library books and read them on my device.
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 05:55 PM   #4
Neil
Addict
Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That 6" Astak on special looks very nice. Have you (or anyone) seen it compared to a Kindle 2 screen??
Old 07-03-2009, 06:20 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I have a Kindle 1 but I almost never use it, preferring my EZ Reader for routine use. However, I typically use the OpenInkPot 3rd party firmware, although the standard firmware is also good enough. The screens for all the 6" EInk devices are the same, the K2 has 16 greyscales (vs 4 on the EZ Reader) and this might matter a bit for anti-aliased fonts. I would guess that the K2 is slightly faster for page turns, because it has the new Epson screen controller. See BeBook font sizes and types for scans of the EZ Reader (these are scans at lower resolution than the screen itself). I have the original EZ Reader, but the new ones have a smaller logo on the top (they are otherwise identical), see The logo on your EZ reader?.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 11:50 PM   #6
Neil
Addict

Thanks, Wallcraft. I may wait a little bit then and see what newer ones look like as I think the gray scales could be significant.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:53 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
My advice is to go with ePub. Sony uses ePub and Adobe's DRM. The Cool-er does as well and eventually Bookeen will with the Opus and with a firmware update for the Gen3. SO basically, go with an eink device that supports Adobe Digital Editions and ePub and you'll be set for interoperability.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drm, kindle, readers