Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-13-2008, 01:12 PM   #91
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
No visible backlight. But how does it work then if it does not have a light?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 01:38 PM   #92
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
No visible backlight. But how does it work then if it does not have a light?
What do you mean? The LCD screen polarizes a portion of the screen so that the diode becomes opaque. From Wikipedia:

Quote:
When a voltage is applied across the electrodes, a torque acts to align the liquid crystal molecules parallel to the electric field, distorting the helical structure (this is resisted by elastic forces since the molecules are constrained at the surfaces). This reduces the rotation of the polarization of the incident light, and the device appears grey. If the applied voltage is large enough, the liquid crystal molecules in the center of the layer are almost completely untwisted and the polarization of the incident light is not rotated as it passes through the liquid crystal layer. This light will then be mainly polarized perpendicular to the second filter, and thus be blocked and the pixel will appear black.
The LCD itself does not provide the light in any way. Perhaps you are confusing it with an LED which causes the diode to glow. The light of the Jetbook screen that allows you to see the crystals as black or not comes from ambient light reflected of the screen. This is in contrast to an LCD monitor for example which has a layer under the TFT substrate which glows.

An eInk works similar but the method to make the pixes opaque or transparent is done differently and also it doesn't require continous power to maintain that state as does an LCD.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 01:46 PM   #93
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I thought it needs some sort of light to make things visible on TFT screen and also that there is some sort of constant current, albeit speedy one, that makes the text to flicker, which might not noticeable by human eye but strains it nonetheless.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:31 AM   #94
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Then what is a difference between eInk and TFT?

I believe my ectaco dictionaries have the same TFT screen as the ebook reader
No, I have ectaco dictionaries too. They don't have TFT screens like jetBook has. jetBook is only one ectaco product that comes with reflective TFT screen (it has no backlighting). I spend 5-6 hours for reading in airplane and have no any problems for eyes.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 05:20 AM   #95
astra
The Introvert

OK. I give up. Maybe I don't understand something. I am quite sure that my ectaco dictionaries didn't have backlight, at least in a conventional sense.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:07 AM   #96
RJ_Cruze_Jr
RJ_Cruze_Jr is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
Interesting choice, as all the current downloads from Baen seem have it as "Tomanak", i.e. no accent! (Page 3 does have "hrä--ne", which reads correctly here, but I'm not sure if I've currently got the standard fonts or extended ones installed.)
So, it might be worth the effort to try that tutorial for replacing the default fonts then?
RJ_Cruze_Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 01:13 PM   #97
BruceB
BruceB began at the beginning.

Device: PRS505
I'd like to see...

A couple of things I'd change...
- I'd like the option to have the software treat the built in memory and the SDcard(s) as a single storage device. I don't want to have to "worry" about whether or not the book is internal or on a card (I know some of you do, but I don't, hence the request that the feature be optional).

- One of the features the iPod/iTunes software has is the ability to let it manage the storage location on the PC. If I ask it to "consolidate" the library (I think that's the term apple uses), it will copy the file to a location it controls on the disk and use that copy for all further actions. That way I don't have to think about it. It would be really nice if the sony software did the same thing. Again, I'd be happy if that was an optional feature, as it is in iTunes.
BruceB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 12:00 AM   #98
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
OK. I give up. Maybe I don't understand something. I am quite sure that my ectaco dictionaries didn't have backlight, at least in a conventional sense.
More information about jetBook screen available here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ighlight=m218a

Compared to the usual E Ink display, the new panel has a higher contrast ratio (12:1 vs. 8:1) and also relatively low power consumption (20 mW vs. 1mW (E Ink standby) and 750 mW (E Ink active update)). Screen refresh is a lot faster (20 ms vs. 0.5-1s).
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 08:19 AM   #99
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ_Cruze_Jr View Post
So, it might be worth the effort to try that tutorial for replacing the default fonts then?
Even easier than that, as any 'new' fonts I'm using would have been provided by the PRSCustomizer process. I didn't select any specific localization options, but I think it still provides more fully-populated fonts that the default firmware provides (as I understand it, the defaults stop at 7-bit whereas these have more of the 8-bit chars available).
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 03:18 PM   #100
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
- One of the features the iPod/iTunes software has is the ability to let it manage the storage location on the PC. If I ask it to "consolidate" the library (I think that's the term apple uses), it will copy the file to a location it controls on the disk and use that copy for all further actions. That way I don't have to think about it. It would be really nice if the sony software did the same thing. Again, I'd be happy if that was an optional feature, as it is in iTunes.
This is the way Calibre works, so you might consider switching to use that instead of the Sony eBook Library (though you would lose the pre-pagination that Sony does for you).
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 11:14 AM   #101
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
I'd want a little clock in the right bottom of the page.
If there's a possibility to put a date too, that would be even better!
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 11:03 PM   #102
ChipnDale
Rescue Rangers
ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad
Remove the mp3 option, not so delicate screen (after reading a few posts on here I'm super scared), and make a way to choose how the books are displayed on the reader (ie: title, author ect) because I have some books that are annoying everytime I see the title not displaying the way I want it to and they are PDF so I can't simply edit them

Other than that I love my reader!
ChipnDale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 05:15 AM   #103
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipnDale View Post
I have some books that are annoying everytime I see the title not displaying the way I want it to and they are PDF so I can't simply edit them
http://www.becyhome.de/becypdfmetaed...iption_eng.htm
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 01:31 PM   #104
ChipnDale
Rescue Rangers
ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad
Ooohhh Thanks!
ChipnDale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 07:30 PM   #105
ashort
Connoisseur
ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 10th Gen
A black PRS-505 with a black cover.
ashort is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
505, change, engineer, feat, thing