Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-07-2011, 03:40 AM   #1
jefftheworld
Groupie
jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo, Kobo Vox
jefftheworld's Best App Package!

I put together a small package of recommended apps. In the thread here I'll explain why I included each one. Just unzip the archive and put it anywhere on your Vox, then use a file manager or app installer to install whichever ones you want to.

There are two packages I've put together:

Regular Apps - [download]
Root Apps - [download]

Regular Apps

Astro File Manager
Great file manager with a great feature set and even a built-in Task Killer. Even has the ability to browse and/or extract archives, and basic app back-up.

Killer because... ...you can even use it to install apps directly from memory. Makes it easy to just drop a bunch of apps on your SD card and install them.

Dolphin Browser HD
Sure, they've had some trouble with harvesting usage data without asking, but they've put that behind them and it was anonymized anyway. The ability to change your user agent is great, it lets you get around websites that force you to go the the mobile version or that have content that isn't allowed for mobile users.

Killer because... ...paired with the Flash Player app I included it also circumvents the issues that the Vox is having with youtube. Just visit the desktop version of Youtube and you'll have no issues at all.

Flash Player
Play flash content. Multimedia on the internet is still predominantly flash. You need this to see flash content.

Killer because... ...you love web videos.

VLC Media Player
This media player will play any format you have. Period. It's an Alpha release, so it's lacking a few features like playlists and other organizational stuff, but for movies it can't be beat.

Killer because... ...you hate converting movies.

MusicFX
Adds EQ and effect controls to your music player.

Killer because... ...your music will sound way better!

Facebook
The real Facebook app. Features push notifications and all the features you'd expect from something that's a real app an not a stub.

Killer because... ...that shitty stub that's built-in is just an annoying web link.

Dropbox
Sync files between any or your computers, smartphones or tablets.

Killer because... ...who the hell wants to plug something in to transfer a file?

Netflix
If you don't have Netflix, I recommend you try the 1 month free trial. Looks great on the Vox!

Killer because... ...with DNS proxying you can get access to the huge American selection!

Root Apps

Now, for the root apps! All the apps below require a rooted device, but they're especially awesome, too!

AdFree
Removes ads from many apps and websites.

Killer because... ...I don't like ads.

BusyBox Installer
Installs BusyBox; a set of tools that other awesome root apps can use to do even more neat things.

Killer because... ...at some point you'll see a cool app that you want to use that says "requires busybox".

Orbot
Allows you to use the Tor network. Defend yourself against network surveillance and traffic analysis.

Killer because... ...privacy is awesome.

ShootMe
Screenshot program.

Killer because... ...it helps me make tutorials for you folks!

SSHTunnel
Set up a global proxy of all your Vox's data via SSH. All wifi usage will be protected by end-to-end encryption. A must have for those using public wifi!

Killer because... ...public WiFi is so unsafe. I'm not kidding. If you only knew what I knew!
jefftheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:54 AM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Thanks, Jeff! The Astro in your package was better/newer than mine. Karma to you.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:46 AM   #3
blacknirvana
Connoisseur
blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Vox
Thanks, great little packages will we see more in the future, maybe a fun pack (games etc...)?

I would make one myself but I'm still fairly new at Android and the Vox
blacknirvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:07 AM   #4
spikexp
Connoisseur
spikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura about

Maybe you could add the smb module for astro.
Nice pack.
spikexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:21 AM   #5
GreatCanadian
Enthusiast
GreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beauty

EXACTLY what I've been looking for!!! Thanks Jeff!
GreatCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:43 AM   #6
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Thanks Jeff! But you've gotta space out your info so I can give the deserved Karma
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 04:41 PM   #7
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
Because I couldn't locate the Astro SMB module I had to go with ES File Explorer. Which works good enough for me.

After you unzip the files just how do you get the individual files to your Vox? You don't cover that part. (I can do easily do that because my Vox is happily linked to my file servers.)

And thanks for the AdFree. I've been irritated with some of those ads on websites. Mostly because I don't see them on my PC.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:06 PM   #8
jefftheworld
Groupie
jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyToews View Post
Because I couldn't locate the Astro SMB module I had to go with ES File Explorer. Which works good enough for me.

After you unzip the files just how do you get the individual files to your Vox? You don't cover that part. (I can do easily do that because my Vox is happily linked to my file servers.)

And thanks for the AdFree. I've been irritated with some of those ads on websites. Mostly because I don't see them on my PC.
Just connect your Vox to your computer and enable the USB connection. Then just copy the files over to wherever you want.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:03 PM   #9
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Hey jefftheworld - what is the version of Flash that you downloaded? Didn't flash already come with the Vox? Wondering how mine's playing videos from the web, otherwise?
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:56 PM   #10
jefftheworld
Groupie

Doesn't have flash out of the box. This is Flash 10.3.something.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:50 PM   #11
moolyn
Rookie eBookie
moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch, Kobo Touch, iPad3
Jeff, thanks for doing this!

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to download the apps by emailing them to myself and clicking on download. It keeps failing. I can put them on my computer but can't transfer them with the USB cord or SD card either. I'm sure it's a simple thing that I'm missing because I don't have much expertise in this area.

Perhaps providing the links you used would be easier for eRookies like me. I haven't had much luck searching for individual apps online and downloading that way either. It's been pretty hit and miss for me.

I appreciate whatever help you can provide!
moolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 03:53 PM   #12
enzonov
enzonov began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moolyn View Post
Jeff, thanks for doing this!

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to download the apps by emailing them to myself and clicking on download. It keeps failing. I can put them on my computer but can't transfer them with the USB cord or SD card either. I'm sure it's a simple thing that I'm missing because I don't have much expertise in this area.

Perhaps providing the links you used would be easier for eRookies like me. I haven't had much luck searching for individual apps online and downloading that way either. It's been pretty hit and miss for me.

I appreciate whatever help you can provide!

I'm having the same trouble.
enzonov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:07 PM   #13
46jimbo
Zealot
46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: Kobo Touch + Kobo Aura
Put 'em on a micro sd card.
46jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:47 PM   #14
moolyn
Rookie eBookie
moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch, Kobo Touch, iPad3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46jimbo View Post
Put 'em on a micro sd card.
Tried that and it didn't work.
moolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:02 PM   #15
jefftheworld
Groupie

Install Astro file manager first, it can install apps from your sd card. If you can't fine it online I'll post a link when I get home.