Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-30-2011, 02:42 PM   #1
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
I demo'd a K4

I recently played with a demo model and didn't care for it. It was too small for my hands. My thumb had to rest halfway across the screen. The page turn buttons were not placed where I could use them. All buttons were too small. I would have to use two hands to operate it.

And it had a dollar store quality to it. Frankly, I think at $79 it is overpriced.

Since it was in demo mode I couldn't use it fully. The page turns were not fast on this particular model. The screen wasn't the best I've seen. I did think the background was slightly darker compared to the K3 next to it but that could be lighting effects. It's possible the unit wasn't functioning properly, though. Other functions seemed strangely tedious.

Checking the other ereaders on display, none seemed to function as intended. Not a good selling feature.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 03:26 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

Although some stores are doing a little better with their displays, most have really poor displays. And some don't even put out display models at all! It is almost as if they are trying hard not to make any sells. And it usually doesn't do any good to ask questions of the sales staff as they tend to be clueless. If you have the cash to buy a couple different models and take them home to use for a while, that might be the best way to gauge which best fits your needs. Then return the one that you like the least.

I agree that the trend of making the bezels very narrow around the screens makes many of the newer E Ink devices difficult to hold if you have large hands. I do like the placement of the buttons on the K4 NT better than on the Sony T1 though, at least for portrait reading. Although for landscape use, the Sony T1 buttons are well placed. But both are really narrow at the bezel. I haven't tried the Nook Touch, but I read that the buttons were hard to use. All the newer readers are way too thin for me as well, although I really like the reduced weight due to being so thin.

Last edited by jswinden; 10-30-2011 at 03:33 PM.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:48 PM   #3
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
I recently played with a demo model and didn't care for it. It was too small for my hands. My thumb had to rest halfway across the screen. The page turn buttons were not placed where I could use them. All buttons were too small. I would have to use two hands to operate it.

And it had a dollar store quality to it. Frankly, I think at $79 it is overpriced.

Since it was in demo mode I couldn't use it fully. The page turns were not fast on this particular model. The screen wasn't the best I've seen. I did think the background was slightly darker compared to the K3 next to it but that could be lighting effects. It's possible the unit wasn't functioning properly, though. Other functions seemed strangely tedious.

Checking the other ereaders on display, none seemed to function as intended. Not a good selling feature.
I agree with you on most of it. Darker display, page turning buttons are hard to push. You do need to use two hands. It does have a slight cheap feel to it but at $79 you do get offers that pretty much pay for the Kindle. I've already saved $28 dollars with the offers I've used. It will pay for itself after a while I suspect.

I really like my K4. I wish the contrast was better but I've learn to live with that one. The page buttons are another issue but it's another thing I can live with for the price. $79 for a Pearl display Reader is unheard of till now. So it's a great deal even with it's quirks.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 03:53 PM   #4
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
When I have some time scheduled, I am going to have Amazon send me 1 or 2 and test them out, and then I will return one or both. The very cheap one, and the better 3G touch one.

OR maybe I will keep both. I will see.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 05:16 PM   #5
bchaplin
Enthusiast
bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, K3 (Kindle Keyboard)
I'm actually convinced that at this point the K3 (Kindle Keyboard) is my favorite of all the Kindles ever made, in terms of form factor. I made the mistake of purchasing the Wifi version when I purchased mine a year ago, and have decided to upgrade to a 3G KK, and either keep my current one as a backup or give it to a relative. The bezel is the perfect size for me. I've never had an issue with the screen. I like the physical keyboard. I wish they had included a row of numbers on the keyboard, but that is my only quibble with it. I would have waited to evaluate the K4, touch version, but the lack of physical page turn buttons makes it a no-go for me. I'll keep the K3 until something more compelling (next round of readers, perhaps?) comes along.
bchaplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 05:40 PM   #6
InsulinJunkie72
Enthusiast
InsulinJunkie72 can extract oil from cheeseInsulinJunkie72 can extract oil from cheeseInsulinJunkie72 can extract oil from cheeseInsulinJunkie72 can extract oil from cheeseInsulinJunkie72 can extract oil from cheeseInsulinJunkie72 can extract oil from cheeseInsulinJunkie72 can extract oil from cheeseInsulinJunkie72 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Touch, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
I'm actually convinced that at this point the K3 (Kindle Keyboard) is my favorite of all the Kindles ever made, in terms of form factor.
The bezel is the perfect size for me. I've never had an issue with the screen. I like the physical keyboard....
I would have waited to evaluate the K4, touch version, but the lack of physical page turn buttons makes it a no-go for me.
Pretty much why I bought a KK at $99, after the K4 already came out.

The size of the K4/K4T just wasn't going to work for me, after checking out a K4 (and the K4T is only supposed to be a fraction larger).

No turn buttons on a K4T was the final nail in the coffin.
InsulinJunkie72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:42 AM   #7
dieterpops
Addict
dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.

Device: Always in flux
I have to respectfully disagree with a lot of the comments made in this thread. I find the K4 quality to be much better than the K3. I've owned several K3's and each exhibited a certain amount of "flexibility", so to speak, when squeezed. The design of the K3 also uses a layer of double-sided tape to adhere the bezel to the screen. In many cases, this delaminates and the bezel no longer adheres to the screen.

The K4 is very solid and the metal back provides to an overall feel of of quality not found in the K3. Bezos himself talks about the K4 having the best build quality. I know there can be a little variation in screens, but the perceived darkness is because of the contrast between the bezel and the screen. Ever look at a white K3? The screen looks dark, for example.

I've been impressed with the design and have no issues reading with reading with one hand and turning the buttons. My hands skew to the larger end of the spectrum. Compared to the Sony T-1, the K4 quality is better. As a side note, my daughter owns a Nook Simple Touch, which seems to have a quality build. No issues with the buttons on that design either.
dieterpops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:17 AM   #8
Papi
Addict
Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle NT, PRS-650
Having both, I find each has his advantage : the Kindle 3 has a keyboard, it's easier (to me at least) to hold since the bezel offers more space. The Kindle NT is lighter, the link between the bezel and the screen is nice with it's fine black line and less prone to catch dust, handling of dictionaries is a bit better, and it's globally noticeably faster. As for the screen quality, it really depends since some have reported a better screen on the Kindle Keyboard, others (like me) have a better screen on the Kindle NT. I don't feel their build quality to feel cheap.
Papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 02:14 PM   #9
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieterpops View Post
The design of the K3 also uses a layer of double-sided tape to adhere the bezel to the screen. In many cases, this delaminates and the bezel no longer adheres to the screen.
This may explain the clicky noise I get when I touch the bezel on the top left.

Quote:
The K4 is very solid and the metal back provides to an overall feel of of quality not found in the K3. B
I don't think the back is metal it's plastic with a finish that feels like metal. I hate how the back feels but I plan to get a Decalskin to fix that.

The Bezel has nothing to do with my screen's contrast. I've already tried the black construction paper and it still can't be compared to my K3.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 02:39 PM   #10
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool stupid demo mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
I recently played with a demo model and didn't care for it.
i went to staples today and tried the latest gen kindle. i probably fiddled with it for about a minute before seeking out the manager and asking if they could get it out of demo mode so i could actually test the thing and not be tutored she said no , and indicated that that wasn't the first time she'd heard that request. anyway, i gave up and left, so i have no idea if i'd like the thing or not

Last edited by alansplace; 10-31-2011 at 03:41 PM. Reason: fix order
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 03:31 PM   #11
jswinden
Nameless Being

I wouldn't call it a Mickey Mouse thing. It is after all better built than any of the other current E Ink eReader offerings from Sony, Kobo, and B&N. It might be considered less feature rich than most, but that was by design and due to the loud outcry from diehard Kindle fans who voiced their concerns against a touch screen reader and against a reader without page buttons. At $80 compared to the $130 to $150 offerings by the other major brands, you get a scaled down reader that fits the needs of those who want it. That is hardly Mickey Mouse!
Old 10-31-2011, 03:37 PM   #12
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool whoops...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I wouldn't call it a Mickey Mouse thing. It is after all better built than any of the other current E Ink eReader offerings from Sony, Kobo, and B&N. It might be considered less feature rich than most, but that was by design and due to the loud outcry from diehard Kindle fans who voiced their concerns against a touch screen reader and against a reader without page buttons. At $80 compared to the $130 to $150 offerings by the other major brands, you get a scaled down reader that fits the needs of those who want it. That is hardly Mickey Mouse!
whoops, i meant the mickey mouse to apply to the demo not the device

there i edited it to reflect (i hope) what i was trying to say

Last edited by alansplace; 10-31-2011 at 03:44 PM. Reason: add something
Old 10-31-2011, 03:54 PM   #13
dieterpops
Addict
dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.

Device: Always in flux
If you try out the demo and press the "back" key, it will exit demo mode and will let you try the reader.

The demo mode on the kindle show this option, it's not as obvious as it probably should be.
dieterpops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 03:58 PM   #14
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
whoops, i meant the mickey mouse to apply to the demo not the device

there i edited it to reflect (i hope) what i was trying to say
That makes more sense. I agree, the stores just don't want to demo any electronics these days.
Old 10-31-2011, 03:59 PM   #15
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool thanks

Quote:
If you try out the demo and press the "back" key, it will exit demo mode and will let you try the reader.

The demo mode on the kindle show this option, it's not as obvious as it probably should be.