Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-05-2011, 05:01 AM   #1
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Overdrive - recent changes to library website

Forgive me if this has already been mentioned, but if so, I missed it...

A recent update to the Overdrive library websites I visit finally sunk in to my consciousness tonight.

We've been talking about the update to allow Kindle borrowing, and that part of that change would be a switch that allow libraries not to have to rebuy ebooks to have formats available for the Kindle.

Well a change that's been in place for at least a week, but didn't really sink in, shows they've upgraded the sites to say how many ebooks the library "owns" in total, rather than by format.

For example, I was looking at a book that the library only has 1 copy of, but it's being offered in ePub, PDF, and Mobipocket formats. Used to be, if the library had multiple formats available, the total would be listed under each format - 1 ePub, 2 PDF, whatever. Now it's just a total available, regardless of formats.

So they're that much closer to the changes they mentioned when announcing the Kindle availability...
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:58 AM   #2
mldavis2
Coffee Nut
mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3; K4PC; Calibre
Thanks for the "heads up." I haven't used Overdrive as I own a Kindle, but access would be nice, if not essential. My fear is that my local small-town library, with its low operating budget being cut more and more, may well not be able to afford the Overdrive subscription fees. This year is covered by a generous, anonymous benefactor because the basic budget isn't there. If that fails for next year, the economy being what it is, we may well lose Overdrive. The annual fees are not insignificant!
mldavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2011, 09:05 AM   #3
Strayer
Strayer began at the beginning.

Device: none
My local library isn't able to afford doing ebooks.
Barnes & Noble and Baker Taylor are doing a new type of llbrary lending for ebooks. I want to see how that looks. They will be using a different system from Overdrive.
Strayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:21 AM   #4
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strayer View Post
Barnes & Noble and Baker Taylor are doing a new type of llbrary lending for ebooks...
Please elaborate on that.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:58 AM   #5
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
For example, I was looking at a book that the library only has 1 copy of, but it's being offered in ePub, PDF, and Mobipocket formats. Used to be, if the library had multiple formats available, the total would be listed under each format - 1 ePub, 2 PDF, whatever. Now it's just a total available, regardless of formats.
With the 'old' system, the ePub and PDF formats were always the first to get snatched up, but I could frequently find available mobipocket offerings. I think the additional 'work' of adding the mobipocket reader with PID to one's computer is part of the reason.

Now, however, all three formats go to 'hold' status if even just one format is checked out.

I think wait times for digital books just got much longer
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2011, 11:12 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianNC View Post
With the 'old' system, the ePub and PDF formats were always the first to get snatched up, but I could frequently find available mobipocket offerings. I think the additional 'work' of adding the mobipocket reader with PID to one's computer is part of the reason.

Now, however, all three formats go to 'hold' status if even just one format is checked out.

I think wait times for digital books just got much longer
Maybe. But it also means that if the library didn't have an ePub edition and there is one, now they have it. All those PDF purchases instead of ePub now have ePub. Overall this is good. It also means that if there was 2 PDF 1 Mobipocket & 1 ePub, there's now 4 copies regardless of format.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 12:07 PM   #7
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Maybe. But it also means that if the library didn't have an ePub edition and there is one, now they have it. All those PDF purchases instead of ePub now have ePub. Overall this is good.
That may be a future change contemplated, but didn't occur with this latest modification. No formats were added to current offerings where one didn't exist before.

Quote:
It also means that if there was 2 PDF 1 Mobipocket & 1 ePub, there's now 4 copies regardless of format.
Technically, it will show a quantity, but I think that's misleading. For instance, I have had a title on my wish list for several months. The title prior to the change was listed in 3 formats -- ePUB, PDF and Mobipocket and showed each format as having one copy each. The ePUB and PDF each had a long waiting list, but the Mobipocket was always available so that's the format I put on my wish list (just as a reminder that I'd eventually get around to readng it).

Immediately after the latest change, the Mobipocket format of the book went to a 'hold' status indicating, to me, that it went into the wait queue of the other 2 formats. So, rather than increasing availability, the recent change, IMO, has actually reduced it.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 12:14 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Overdrive has merged formats. You no longer buy an ePub or Mobipocket or PDF copy. You buy a copy. You get it in all the available formats. But only one at a time.

But one thing I am not sure of though is for libraries that started eBook after Mobipocket has fallen out of favor, will those libraries get the Mobipocket editions of just the ePub & PDF?
Old 09-05-2011, 05:00 PM   #9
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But one thing I am not sure of though is for libraries that started eBook after Mobipocket has fallen out of favor, will those libraries get the Mobipocket editions of just the ePub & PDF?
No, it doesn't look like they're retroactively adding Mobipocket support to libraries without it already.
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 05:13 PM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
So far I have found this:

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...124481498.html

Quote:
Axis 360 is the state-of-the-art system for accessing digital content that libraries have been looking for. Starting this fall, patrons at Axis 360-powered libraries will be able to check out ebooks to read on their personal NOOK devices. From Axis 360, patrons will also have a link to the Barnes & Noble online store for purchasing digital content and physical products.

Libraries, readers and NOOK customers will find Axis 360 offers several key benefits, including ease of use, intuitive search and browse and reading recommendations. Built on state-of-the-art technology, Axis 360 showcases the digital library collection on a Magic Wall and makes it quick and easy for patrons to check out the titles they want. Starting this fall, librarians and patrons at Axis 360-powered libraries will also have access to EPUB and spoken word audio titles, as well as a patron reviews module that will allow users to contribute book reviews and assign star ratings to titles to be shared within a library system or with other Axis 360 participating libraries.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:31 PM   #11
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Here is the website. It makes sense for B&T to get involved since libraries purchase both physical and digital books from B&T already.

http://www.baker-taylor.com/axis360/home.html
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:47 PM   #12
gojisube
Enthusiast
gojisube ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gojisube ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gojisube ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gojisube ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gojisube ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gojisube ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gojisube ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gojisube ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gojisube ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gojisube ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gojisube ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Asus 7" tablet; Dead Onyx Boox C67ML
Regarding the recent OverDrive changes, I just checked out a pdf copy of an ebook that I know my library only had epub before. No mobi on my library's site yet as far as I can tell.
gojisube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:31 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojisube View Post
Regarding the recent OverDrive changes, I just checked out a pdf copy of an ebook that I know my library only had epub before. No mobi on my library's site yet as far as I can tell.
If they didn't have mobi before the change, they won't have it now.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:14 AM   #14
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I think it may also depend on whether Overdrive has the book available in that format.

One of the books I was looking at had all three formats available, but another only had two. I don't think any new books are being converted into Mobipocket format, but if they had it in that format already, it will be available now.

And as Jon said, it might also depend on whether that particular library ever offered Mobipocket as a choice.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:21 AM   #15
mldavis2
Coffee Nut
mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3; K4PC; Calibre
For text, Mobipocket conversion is just a split-second away. No excuses.
mldavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote