Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-30-2010, 09:16 AM   #1
Judas
Judas began at the beginning.

Device: none ._.
(Lack of) Options for a Large-Format e-Reader

Like many of you, I have a lot of PDFs to read. I've been trying to wait it out until the release of the Asus DR900, the Plastic Logic Que, the Skiff, or any other large-format e-reader, but trying to make do by reading long tomes on an LCD display has been causing eye strain and headaches.

Unfortunately, the iRex DR800SG is nigh impossible to acquire now. The only option available at this moment is the Kindle DX, which is too expensive for a model which will most likely be obsolete by the end of the year. I'm also worried that I will seriously regret getting a DX if the Asus DR900 does actually come out at a lower price in August. But the alternative is to read almost nothing, aside from a few new physical books, for an indefinite number of months.

Does anyone in a similar situation have a plan?
Judas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 09:30 AM   #2
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Since large e-readers seem to be retreating, I'd guess your best option is to wait for Asus' device (though Asus' relative silence about the matter is a bit disquieting) or for Pocketbook to release their 901 model, which should be priced much lower than Kindle DX. Que and Skiff Reader can be counted as casualties (indefinite delay in the first case, the hardware not having been bought with the company in the second).
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2010, 10:31 AM   #3
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
The PRS 900. Not perfect, but probably the best option.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:26 AM   #4
BenLee
eReader Junkie
BenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle + Sony
Yea, there doesn't seem to be many options for large eReaders. QUE and Skiff would have been nice additions, but it didn't turn out that way unfortunately. Kindle is a nice device, but maybe too pricey. I support vxf's suggestion for the PRS900 as well.
BenLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 01:32 PM   #5
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas View Post
Like many of you, I have a lot of PDFs to read. I've been trying to wait it out until the release of the Asus DR900, the Plastic Logic Que, the Skiff, or any other large-format e-reader, but trying to make do by reading long tomes on an LCD display has been causing eye strain and headaches.

Unfortunately, the iRex DR800SG is nigh impossible to acquire now. The only option available at this moment is the Kindle DX, which is too expensive for a model which will most likely be obsolete by the end of the year. I'm also worried that I will seriously regret getting a DX if the Asus DR900 does actually come out at a lower price in August. But the alternative is to read almost nothing, aside from a few new physical books, for an indefinite number of months.

Does anyone in a similar situation have a plan?
It feels like dedicated large format readers have seen their day. I think the ipad (which i use now) is the answer
davidspitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2010, 02:57 PM   #6
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
There are some tricks out there for making PDFs more readable on the smaller, reasonably priced, devices. I describe the methods that have worked well for me in this blog post.

Still, it sucks that the larger ones are either so prohibitively expensive or impossible to acquire!
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:45 PM   #7
Judas
Judas began at the beginning.

Device: none ._.
Thanks for the input, guys.
I do like the design and the interface of the PRS-900, but the slightly decreased clarity is sure to bug me. :\

Assuming I can get enough good results with those tricks, the nook could come into contention as well.
Judas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:18 PM   #8
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas View Post
Thanks for the input, guys.
I do like the design and the interface of the PRS-900, but the slightly decreased clarity is sure to bug me. :\

Assuming I can get enough good results with those tricks, the nook could come into contention as well.
A good reading light seems to solve most of the contrast and glare issues for the PRS-900. Clarity has not really been an issue... I assume you mean something akin to sharpness...

But far from me recommending the device. It's pricey and it does have plenty of downsides - slow at times (when ti comes to annotations), clunky software, stupidly limited zoom...

Yet, at the moment, I still think it's the best option for PDFs, especially if you want to take annotations.

I have learned to live with it...

But I am curious about the forthcoming Eee Tablet:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/31/a...ablet-preview/

and downright salivating over the Eee Pad (which will not replace a dedicated e-reader amongst my gadgets, but it's still a cool toy and certainly a better option than the Ipad for professional use - well, at least, my kind of professional use):

http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/31/a...p121-hands-on/
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 12:16 PM   #9
BenLee
eReader Junkie
BenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle + Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
A good reading light seems to solve most of the contrast and glare issues for the PRS-900. Clarity has not really been an issue... I assume you mean something akin to sharpness...

But far from me recommending the device. It's pricey and it does have plenty of downsides - slow at times (when ti comes to annotations), clunky software, stupidly limited zoom...

Yet, at the moment, I still think it's the best option for PDFs, especially if you want to take annotations.

I have learned to live with it...

But I am curious about the forthcoming Eee Tablet:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/31/a...ablet-preview/

and downright salivating over the Eee Pad (which will not replace a dedicated e-reader amongst my gadgets, but it's still a cool toy and certainly a better option than the Ipad for professional use - well, at least, my kind of professional use):

http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/31/a...p121-hands-on/
I hear you. The EEE Pad looks really promising. Definitely more of what I'm looking for than an iPad, although I love the iPad as well. I've been pretty satisfied with the Asus EEE series lately, so we'll have to see if the Pad lives up to expectations
BenLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 09:58 AM   #10
gastan
Addict
gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: LePan II, Kobo Aura
I have been waiting for large screen readers, too. I'm currently keeping an eye on new-comer Innoversal. I was informed by e-mail from them that both of their new products would roll out in the first half of September. The Lattice first, followed closely by the Papyrus.

http://www.innoversal.com.tw/en-us/p...s/default.aspx

The Lattice is my first choice as it will be 10" and PixelQi. If it turns out to be too expensive for me, the Papyrus, with it's 8" screen, sounds like an acceptable alternative size. Unless, of course, one of the biggies (Asus, Pocketbook, Hanlin, etc.) show up first ... but I'm not holding my breath. As you can tell, I'm only interested in an open device ... open in the sense that it isn't locked into a proprietary format system or storefront.

Last edited by gastan; 07-02-2010 at 10:00 AM.
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 04:01 PM   #11
nprnncbl
nprnncbl began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge
I recently got an Entourage Edge, and so far I'm quite happy with it. Same size screen as the Kindle DX (9.7"), but with Wacom pen input, and a touch LCD on the other side. It is on the pricey side, but I think it's worth it. I've been using it so far for reading academic papers and random stuff from Project Gutenberg.
nprnncbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 04:08 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Note that the Kindle DX has now been reduced in price by US$110.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 06:35 AM   #13
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Yes, it became an interresting candidate for a kitchen reader...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote