Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-04-2009, 02:08 PM   #1
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
Red face Starting from Scratch (again!)

for those of you who haven't been keeping up, I am on my THIRD move since I have been here. I REALLY don't think I am a difficult person, it's been more or less circumstances. anyway I am now in the third, and I hope final place. I was supposed to have a roomie for this one, but he backed out after the last minute even. I got an email after the fact (4 days after he was supposed to be in) apologizing and saying he was attracted to me , and thought it was a bad idea.

so anywayyyyy here I am roomie-less, which I think is probably ultimately a good idea, but also in an unfurnished house!. I have my airbed, and the neighbors have loaned me a mattress. the landlord has loaned me a sideboard which I am using as a dresser and a desk which I am using as a... dumping ground at the moment. he also gave me a lazyboy and a night stand. all of this is in my bedroom and the rest of the house kind of echoes. the roomie that wasn't had brought over a wicker patio table which is in the kitchen and I have scrounged a stool.

I was looking at websites for Pottery Barn, World Market and Pier 1 yessterday trying to decide what kind of dishes I should get... should I try to find stuff that matches what I already have at home, or just get some really funky/fun things? I then decided what the heck! it's just the pup, kindle kitten and me! I'll play around with this. there are a good number of thrift and consignment stores around here, it's a VERY international area, and Carmel is just a skip over the hill! it could be a LOT of fun!

so everyone can play along! what have been some of your favorite thrift store or garage sale finds? what items do you have that were intended for one use and you are using for another?

Last edited by krisk; 06-04-2009 at 02:10 PM. Reason: because eicker is after all wicker!
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 02:13 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
favorite thrift shop furniture ever : a steamer trunk with drawers and everything. it's probably the least practical way i could think of to store my underpants and stockings but i love it dearly.

i definitely vote for getting all kinds of fun things ! i love old stuff from second hand stores, and i've also found some amazing things out in the street... although, a friend of mine's old building was the absolute best for amazing furniture in the trash. i was always jealous that in comparison my neighbors had such terrible taste.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2009, 02:23 PM   #3
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
favorite thrift shop furniture ever : a steamer trunk with drawers and everything. it's probably the least practical way i could think of to store my underpants and stockings but i love it dearly.

i definitely vote for getting all kinds of fun things ! i love old stuff from second hand stores, and i've also found some amazing things out in the street... although, a friend of mine's old building was the absolute best for amazing furniture in the trash. i was always jealous that in comparison my neighbors had such terrible taste.
You mean Hugo and Lefty's condo? They love the condo lifestyle, what with the stockings just down the hall and the occasional dip in the pool with the lacy little number from 207...
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 02:26 PM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
You mean Hugo and Lefty's condo? They love the condo lifestyle, what with the stockings just down the hall and the occasional dip in the pool with the lacy little number from 207...
that is in fact what i am referring to, yes. i see they've given you a full description...
Old 06-04-2009, 02:27 PM   #5
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Last edited by krisk; Today at 08:10 PM. Reason: because eicker is after all wicker!
thank heavens, i was wondering about that !
Advert
Old 06-04-2009, 02:27 PM   #6
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

ohhhh! I remember "junking day" in Germany! we don't have anything like that here! we used to find such treasures then!
Old 06-04-2009, 02:56 PM   #7
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
My favorite find of all time was a table top (beautiful wood) that I got out of someone's trash in Beverly Hills. I also got a great desk (federalist style) when they were tearing down a hotel on Wilshire Blvd. I also got a wonderful old 30's style desk chair recently out of the dumpster at the recycling center. I'm going to refinish that and put it in my sewing room.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 03:35 PM   #8
krisk
Wizard

drool!
Old 06-04-2009, 03:45 PM   #9
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisk View Post
drool!
Yeah, there's nothing quite like great trash. It's certainly not trash to me just because someone else is idiotic enough to throw it away.

I got one really gorgeous old table top (about 8 x 4 feet) from a building that had been condemned after an earthquake. I sort of went in there anyway to see what was going to be hauled off, and then called a friend who had a pickup truck to get his ass over there NOW so we could grab what was left of this conference table before the wrecking ball showed up.

It was in my place for about 15 years, and then I gave it to an ex-boyfriend and his family (he was my ex before he got married .... long story, but I simply adore his wife and kids) to use at their house. Last time I was there, it was still getting a lot of use.

I just love urban archeology .....
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 04:21 PM   #10
toomanybooks
Addict
toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, Ipod Touch, KIndle Fire
When all else fails, build with books. Last year I needed a bookcase and a coffee table. I bought a glass top and built the legs out of mass market paperbacks.
toomanybooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 05:58 PM   #11
krisk
Wizard

interesting concept too many! but with a 180 pound Newfoundland Dog, a table like that wouldn't cut it! so I took my *lunch* hour and went to two thrift stores. I got 6 glass dinner plates, 7 salad plates, 2 largish bowls, some etched lead crystal glasses, an old silver service for 8, short the salad forks and one dinner fork, a couple of baskets and a picture for 60 bucks. maybe I'll take pictures when I get home tonight!
Old 06-04-2009, 06:03 PM   #12
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Score! Carmel is lovely, too. I was just a little south of there last weekend. Went hiking at Point Lobos. The tide pools there are amazing.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 06:04 PM   #13
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
My most interesting trash find was when a neighbor was moving. They left a pile out by the street to be picked up. While looking through it I found a small rubbermaid trash can. I had been needing one. When I picked it up, I heard something inside rattle. Removing the real trash from it I found 38 cents in change that they were throwing away.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 06:12 PM   #14
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
My most interesting trash find was when a neighbor was moving. They left a pile out by the street to be picked up. While looking through it I found a small rubbermaid trash can. I had been needing one. When I picked it up, I heard something inside rattle. Removing the real trash from it I found 38 cents in change that they were throwing away.
I can see why you could retire!
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 06:21 PM   #15
krisk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
Removing the real trash from it I found 38 cents in change that they were throwing away.
stash it away so you can replace your reader!