Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-04-2012, 03:45 AM   #16
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella20 View Post
A quick question. Can I have 2 addresses linked to my Amazon account for buying eBooks? I want to have a US account (US address) for when purchasing from the US kindle store and a UAE account for the Middle East store. Or do I have to create a separate Amazon account for each?
You can have two on the same account. I don't know whether jumping backwards and forwards between addresses makes you look suspicious as I have no idea if Amazon track that kind of thing.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:23 AM   #17
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Quote:
A quick question. Can I have 2 addresses linked to my Amazon account for buying eBooks? I want to have a US account (US address) for when purchasing from the US kindle store and a UAE account for the Middle East store. Or do I have to create a separate Amazon account for each?
You can only purchase ebooks from Amazon using one-click, so it is probably best to set up 2 separate accounts and sign in depending on which store you want to buy from.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2012, 01:28 AM   #18
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehunt View Post
You can only purchase ebooks from Amazon using one-click, so it is probably best to set up 2 separate accounts and sign in depending on which store you want to buy from.
I believe that is the reason we sometimes have threads about linked accounts that are freezed and Kindles that are wiped, followed by boiler template responses from Amazon CS.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:45 AM   #19
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
I believe that is the reason we sometimes have threads about linked accounts that are freezed and Kindles that are wiped, followed by boiler template responses from Amazon CS.
Yes, I decided it's safer and better to have one only.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:59 AM   #20
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you purchase English language books your selection will be bigger, but not necessarily cheaper, with an account at the US store. However, if you require Arabic books an account with UAE store is probably your only option.
Advert
Old 11-05-2012, 03:01 AM   #21
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If you purchase English language books your selection will be bigger, but not necessarily cheaper, with an account at the US store. However, if you require Arabic books an account with UAE store is probably your only option.
I use the Kindle Store to get English books only. I read actual Arabic books bought from bookstores not in an ebook format.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:03 AM   #22
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehunt View Post
You need a credit card with a US billing address in order to purchase ebooks without geo restrictions on Amazon.com.
No, that isn't the case. You need a USA address.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
You can use the 3G outside the US with a US-registered Kindle, but you might be charged download fees by Amazon if you use it to download any books to the Kindle.
No you won't be charged for downloading books from the Amazon store using 3g outside the USA. They only charge if you download magazines and that is a set rate per month.

Last edited by Pushka; 11-05-2012 at 03:07 AM.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:46 AM   #23
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Actually books bought outside the US have a $2 surcharge for Whispersync, so yes you are charged for using 3G outside the US.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:44 AM   #24
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
Quote:
What do you mean by "if I register my Kindle in the US"? I don't live in the US.

Same here, I don't get what you mean by a US-registered Kindle.
I mean, you cannot buy books from the store you chose to buy from. Or rather, you have to have an account with Amazon with a registered physical address in US if you want to buy from US Kindle store. For various reasons, they cannot or do not want to sell you books from US store if your account is not there - the availability of books is different, the prices are usually different, and so on and so on.
So, if you do not live in US and you don't want to register yourself as if you are in US - even though you have a US address - then buy books from the store meant for the territory you reside in and comply with the rules.

Last edited by jmilica; 11-05-2012 at 09:34 AM.
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:12 AM   #25
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Actually books bought outside the US have a $2 surcharge for Whispersync, so yes you are charged for using 3G outside the US.
It isn't as simple as that.
It isn't books bought outside the US, it is books bought in a country where Amazon doesn't have a network agreement in place.
There used to be a surcharge for buying books from the UK, before Amazon released the Kindle here, now there isn't.
It is probably close to being correct to say that if Amazon sell the 3G model in a particular country, then you wouldn't be charged for buying books from that country, but I don't know if it is 100% right.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:27 AM   #26
Gazella
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
if Amazon sell the 3G model in a particular country, then you wouldn't be charged for buying books from that country
Yes I think you're correct. I bought the Kindle Paperwhite from the UAE where I live and when I asked if the 3G is free here, they said it is.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:56 AM   #27
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
It isn't as simple as that.
It isn't books bought outside the US, it is books bought in a country where Amazon doesn't have a network agreement in place.
There used to be a surcharge for buying books from the UK, before Amazon released the Kindle here, now there isn't.
It is probably close to being correct to say that if Amazon sell the 3G model in a particular country, then you wouldn't be charged for buying books from that country, but I don't know if it is 100% right.
But if you bought the Kindle in the UK, surely you would be registered with the UK Amazon store? I'm not being defensive here, but I think I recall a whole thread a year or more ago, that dealt with price differences from the US store and the conclusion was that if you had an address outside the US with a free 3G Kindle registered prices where something like $1.25 to $2.50 higher. Amazon's network agreement is with AT&T and their roaming partners. Canadians received the same treatment despite being able to connect with AT&T in certain areas (I believe there is also a very favorable roaming agreement).

@Gazella20
The 3G is free, you can surf (not a pleasant experience though) and visit Amazon's Kindle Store without any network charges, you pay through a higher price for books you purchase.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:30 PM   #28
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
No they don't. They removed that years ago. If you buy books from the USA store and you are not physically in the USA the price does not change for 3G. If you buy books from say, the Australian Amazon store, the prices of the books are usually, but not always, higher than the USA but nothing to do with whispernet charges but the price set by the Australian publishers/distributors.

Last edited by Pushka; 11-05-2012 at 04:34 PM.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:33 PM   #29
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
No they don't.
Then they must have changed their policy, when I logged on with a Swedish IP address I was constantly quoted a $2 higher price compared to when I logged on from the US.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:35 PM   #30
Pushka
Wizard

Quote:
Then they must have changed their policy, when I logged on with a Swedish IP address I was constantly quoted a $2 higher price compared to when I logged on from the US.
I'd say, 2 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
No they don't. They removed that years ago.