Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-16-2011, 08:31 PM   #1
kubbur
kubbur began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 4 nontouch nonkeyboard
Kindle 4th gen non-touch - hacking

hi all, i wanted to collect all the hacks about this device as its a bit different from the touch version and i cant find any spesific thread for this topic only and some people were talking about doing a similar thread in another thread here

also, i made this video for u guys http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZEhsCKgMHw
here is another video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fG_pGDMsAYo how to set custom screensavers on kindle nt

cheers

Last edited by kubbur; 01-04-2012 at 02:41 PM. Reason: added youtube video
kubbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 03:26 AM   #2
Tr0n
Tr0n began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Sweet, I think it will be a lot easier with a thread just for Kindle 4 Non Touch.

So what is the status on a legit Jailbreak for the K4.? I have setup SSH access via WIFI but I'm having problems getting sftp-server working.
Im using this version: LINK
We should work on getting the simpleusbnet for the Touch JB working on K4 as well.
Let me know if anyone has got this to work.
Tr0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2011, 09:38 AM   #3
Ceuse
Ceuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 4 Non Touch & Kindle Keyboard
can someone post a dau faq how to ssh / diag / get screensavers on kindle4 nt? im just too scared atm to do something wrong since i never used winscp / ssh into something before . a noob guide would be much apriciated
Ceuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 11:13 AM   #4
kubbur
kubbur began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 4 nontouch nonkeyboard
ill make a video when i find out how to do it
kubbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:53 PM   #5
danar
danar began at the beginning.

Device: Kindel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceuse View Post
can someone post a dau faq how to ssh / diag / get screensavers on kindle4 nt? im just too scared atm to do something wrong since i never used winscp / ssh into something before . a noob guide would be much apriciated
Hello,

I primarily use Windows. I have written instructions to root the Kindle4 via usb networking and how to add custom screen savers. The information in the files is primarily from all the previous posts in the Kindle Touch thread. I only re-wrote the information from a Windows user perspective. Thanks must go to all of those who helped in the rooting of the Kindle.

You still need to have a basic understanding of Unix file systems and
commands.

I have attached two text files:

(1) Kindle Root Access via USB Networking.rtf
(2) Kindle Custom Screensavers via USB Networking.rtf

Dana
Attached Files
File Type: rtf Kindle Root Access via USB Networking.rtf (3.7 KB, 6979 views)
File Type: rtf Kindle Custom Screensavers via USB Networking.rtf (2.9 KB, 4011 views)
danar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2011, 06:54 PM   #6
Tr0n
Tr0n began at the beginning.

Good tutorial,
Imma do what I can to get SCP working this week. I just got back from University and have tons of time on my hands.
Let me know in anyone has any Insights.
Tr0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 04:26 AM   #7
chrisp
chrisp began at the beginning.

Hi danar,

you "re-wrote the information from a Windows user perspective" - so do you have an instruction for the same purpose for Kindle 4 (NO Touch) on Linux systems?

[ I'm afraid I am not familiar with Windows :/ ]

Greetings
chris
chrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 04:41 AM   #8
dionoea
Enthusiast
dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisp View Post
you "re-wrote the information from a Windows user perspective" - so do you have an instruction for the same purpose for Kindle 4 (NO Touch) on Linux systems?
Getting shell access from linux would go something like:
* Connect your kindle as a usb mass storage device
* touch ENABLE_DIAGS in the device's root
* reboot the kindle through the setting menu's menu
* you're now in diags mode
* connect your kindle and computer using the usb cable (nothing should happen)
* in the menu, enable usb networking (Misc individual diagnostics > Utilities > Enable USBnet)
* the kindle should now register as a usb ethernet device (relevant messages should appear in /var/log/syslog )
* on your computer configure the ip address on that device: ip addr add 192.168.15.241/24 dev usb0
* use ssh to connect to the kindle: ssh root@192.168.15.244
* the password should be "mario". If mario doesn't work, use the python script mentionned in the previous post to generate the password from your serial number.

This is just a long version of https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...03#post1868403 and subsequent posts.

Btw, note that "FW" in diagnostics mode refers to the "Five Way" controller, aka the direction/ok pad.

Last edited by dionoea; 12-20-2011 at 04:50 AM.
dionoea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:30 AM   #9
chrisp
chrisp began at the beginning.

Wow! That was fast Thanks a lot for your help!
Greetings
c
chrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:46 AM   #10
dionoea
Enthusiast
dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You're welcome.

Note that extra steps are needed to make it possible to connect to the kindle in "normal" mode. Those mainly involve copying the /usr/local directory from the diagnostics image (/dev/mmcblk0p2) to the normal image (/dev/mmcblk0p1) and optionally adding a rule in /etc/sysconfig/iptables to allow incoming tcp connections on port 22 on the wireless interface if you want to ssh without having to enable usb networking.

It's also worth mentioning that the /var/local (/dev/mmcblk0p3) directory is shared between those two modes.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:28 AM   #11
EightWeight
Enthusiast
EightWeight began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle4, PW
I've had ssh via wifi up and running with my K4 non-touch SO for a few days. I was able to change the root password with passwd to something easy to remember. scp works just fine now that I've figured out the syntax, but I'd really like to get sshfs working so I can just mount it on my Desktop and move files with Nautilus. The problem is it won't accept a password. I think it needs public/private key negotiation. I've generated the keys but don't know where to put the public key on the kindle.
EightWeight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:42 AM   #12
dionoea
Enthusiast

They're usually put in ~/.ssh/authorized_keys server side. Google "ssh authorized_keys" for more information. I'm not sure that it'll work on the kindle as I haven't tried it yet but I don't see why it shouldn't (unless the ssh binary was compiled without key support)
Old 12-20-2011, 10:09 AM   #13
fut888
fut888 began at the beginning.

could set kindle 4 unlimited Partial Refresh like nook2?
fut888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:31 AM   #14
Ceuse
Ceuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 4 Non Touch & Kindle Keyboard
any progress on a touch like jailbreak yet? seems like it is kinda forgotten by the devs
Ceuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:02 AM   #15
dionoea
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceuse View Post
any progress on a touch like jailbreak yet? seems like it is kinda forgotten by the devs
I believe that this topic was intended for the kindle 4 non touch (aka K4 / K4-NT) only. You can get info on a touch jailbreak on: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=160454 (published by yifanlu 10 days ago).

Tags
kindle 4th gen hack