Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 09-26-2007, 09:53 AM   #1
BKeeper
Groupie
BKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle PW
seriously? is my new iLiad already broken?

Let me explain:

I received the new iLiad (v. 1.5) yesterday, let it charge for 4 hours, then I turned it on. (I already had to reset it a couple of times before it could successfully boot). Battery indicator reports a fully charged iLiad.
Then

I thought my problems were over, I configure everything and happily load some books and start reading for a few minutes (40 pages of Snowcrash...)
Time to go. Shut down my iLiad.
After that I have to tell you I have not been able too boot my iLiad normally.

Each time it would take a couple of resets.
If I'm lucky and my iLiad booted successfully it would freeze while reading a book and require another reset.

After a while I notice the battery indicator has drooped to 3/4.... strange.
I said to my self I was hallucinating. That couldn't be true, so I decided to go to bed. Tomorrow would be a better day....

I was wrong...

Today my iLiad doesn't even boot, no matter how many times I press reset.

Possible problems.

Faulty battery: this would explain the 1/4 drop in 60 minutes without wifi usage.
but I plug it and after 20 minutes stops charging.
Still not booting.

I now this isn't normal (even with irex).
So I'm asking for your opinion,
Am I doing something wrong? Have I such terrible luck?
Or is this just what happens when you buy a first batch of an irex product?

Ahh, but now I've seen the wanders of e-ink with my own eyes, I can't live without my iLiad.

seriously, what's wrong?

thanks
BKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:16 AM   #2
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
That's definitely not normal. I know the very early batches had problems, but I didn't think they changed much hardware wise with the new one. Give support an email or call. You'll probably only be without it for a week or so.

To answer your question, I don't think you did anything wrong. Probably just bad luck.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2007, 10:27 AM   #3
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Thats a bummer BKeeper... sympathies are with you... patience!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 01:22 PM   #4
DeGodefroi
Zealot
DeGodefroi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite (had Illiad)
At least you will get the Iliad V2 with bigger batteries now?
DeGodefroi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 11:21 PM   #5
GuardianZX9
GuardianZX9 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader x 2
when you say V 1.5 I assume you meant hardware version?

How can you tell what version you have?

G
GuardianZX9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2007, 02:54 AM   #6
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
The new version iLIad has a new modelnumber.
NEW: ER0140-002-000
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 07:43 AM   #7
BKeeper
Groupie
BKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enough

Well, it's official, my iLiad will be soon on a journey to iRex's repair center.
Turns out I had a faulty unit (what a relief...)
I've come to think that an iLiad is not an iLiad unless it has visited the The Netherlands at least once.
Such a bummer. Imagine using your iLiad just for 1 hour... Now it's gonna take 2 weeks before I can have it back.

I received the iLiad V2 already, the v. 1.5 it's kind of an internal joke to remark that improvements were not enough to justify a V2.

Anyway I'm sad, maybe better quality control would help.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:12 AM   #8
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKeeper View Post
I've come to think that an iLiad is not an iLiad unless it has visited the The Netherlands at least once.
iLiad's are special creatures. Since they're spread out over such a great area, and seldom come in contact with one another, sometimes they just long to go home and be with their family.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 09:10 AM   #9
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
iLiad's are special creatures. Since they're spread out over such a great area, and seldom come in contact with one another, sometimes they just long to go home and be with their family.

That was spiritual Adam!
For a moment there you gave life to them. We like those devices so much they'd deserve it. Now if only they could kiss back!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 09:22 AM   #10
BKeeper
Groupie

Good news everyone!!!

My iLliad is finally back after a bit more than two weeks of "family reunion" (and some mails and calls to iRex).

It seems that iRex had a problem with some spare parts...
(apparently they were out of stock).

Now my question is: is my iLiad repaired?? I don't know that yet, cause now it's pleasantly charging.

Anyway, just wanted to share the news! I'll report later.
(will we get past the hour mark... ?)

Stay tuned.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:29 AM   #11
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
Don't be shy. Just turn it on. Charging & reading is ok.
Q: Why do you wanna wait until charging is completed?

[EDIT:] Maybe yours and mine iLiad got friends in Repair Centre.

Last edited by yokos; 10-19-2007 at 09:33 AM.
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 04:18 AM   #12
DeGodefroi
Zealot
DeGodefroi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite (had Illiad)
Oooh friends?
maybe there will be mini Iliads soon at BKeeper or Yokos (which of you has a female Iliad?)
:-)
DeGodefroi is offline   Reply With Quote