Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-21-2010, 12:45 AM   #1
porksoda
porksoda began at the beginning.

Device: none
Nook Color, or kindle 3?

I've recently decided that i should definitely get an e-reader. However, I'm finding its VERY difficult to choose for me. I heard that the amazon gets around two weeks of battery and has a larger library than the nook. those two things and the ability to read in bright sunlight are big advantages, but I'm really not sure how much the black flash from the display would get on my nerves. the battery on the nook color is a concern for me, i cant seem to find an estimate for that anywhere, but i really appreciate the fonts on the nook and the overall presentation of your books, it seemed a lot more realistic to me when i was trying one out in the store. I tried both of them out in bestbuy side by side and I still can't for the life of me make a decision. Might any of you have an opinion or some advantages/disadvantages that I'm not seeing? Also, exactly how noticeable a difference is there in the nook/amazon libraries? which has a bigger selection?
porksoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 12:45 AM   #2
porksoda
porksoda began at the beginning.

Device: none
also the nook has the ability to read in the dark. that's a plus in my opinion.
porksoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2010, 09:52 AM   #3
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
The Kindle treats side-loaded books the same as Amazon purchased books, with the exception of the online archive functions. On the device itself, side loaded content gets the same placement on the home screen and in Collections. Based on the threads I've read on MR, the sames is not true of the ColorNook.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=107521

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=107318
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 10:05 AM   #4
cwosigns
cwosigns began at the beginning.

Device: NookColor/Droid Incredible
I've never owned a Kindle, but I have had the nook and now the nook color. my battery life has been good so far. i read in a coffee shop for a couple hours yesterday (wifi on) and was only down to 88%. I had the screen brightness turned way down...the backlight is like the sun when turned way up; I imagine reading in outdoor light won't be a problem.
cwosigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 07:31 PM   #5
Mithent
Mithent began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi+3G
I would be surprised if you can't get used to the black flash; it is a little surprising when you first see it, but I don't notice it at all now.

The advantage of an LCD is that you can read it in the dark, but looking into a backlight for long periods of time is tiring on the eyes for some, and it's less readable in the sun. The Nook Color is actually an Android tablet, and has more potential for other apps in the future (although it could be debated whether you need/want other apps on an ereader).
Mithent is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2010, 07:40 PM   #6
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
I've gotten used to the black/white flash refresh on eInk and I'm fine with reading on LCDs so the tired eyes doesn't really apply to me. The inability to read in the dark with the Kindle is slightly annoying but it just means I have to turn a light on. Its probably better for your eyes to do so anyway

What I do like about the Kindle is that it is very light, has a very good battery life and comes with 3G support. The battery life is the main aspect as I like the ability of not really worrying about the Kindle except to just plug it in every 2-3 weeks to top it off.

It really comes down to what you want out of your eReader.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 08:14 PM   #7
tbeltrans
tbeltrans is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle DXG and K3
One thing you need to decide is whether you are willing to read for long periods on an LCD display. The LCD display has backlighting and refresh, both of which can be tiresome to the eyes (i.e. if you don't mind reading books on a computer screen, then the LCD should be fine). An eInk display (what the nook classic and Kindles have) has neither backlighting nor refresh. The intention of the eInk display is to electronically recreate the experience of reading from the printed page. The eInk display does this admirably.

Battery life is longer on a device with an eInk display because the display does not take battery power once it is displaying a page. Page turns (i.e. changing the content of the display) uses battery power, but not a lot even then.

I have a nook classic, a Kindle DXG, and will have a Kindle 3 tomorrow. From my perspective, all of these have advantages and disadvantages, as I am sure is likewise true with the nook color (and everything else in life...). If you can spend some time with the devices you are interested in, just working with the controls and actually reading from the display, you will have a better sense of which device fits the way YOU like to interact with it. That is really the determining factor in the end.

Personally, I am finding that I prefer the Kindles to the nook classic for various reasons, but I would not say that one is "better" than the other. However, to me, the nook color seems to be a different "animal" altogether because it is really an Android tablet (and a very nice one at that) even though Barnes and Noble seems to market it as an ereader with the potential of a tablet. Do you REALLY want to read for extended periods on an LCD? Only you can decide that.

I want an ereader, so I am not really interested in a tablet and running all kinds of apps (I have a laptop for that). What I do want is a display that is easy on the eyes for extended reading. For me, that is an eInk display and not an LCD display.

Tony
tbeltrans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 10:02 PM   #8
fairy_dreams
fairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguefairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguefairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguefairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguefairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguefairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguefairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguefairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguefairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguefairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguefairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Kindle 3 3G
The K3 has 4 weeks of battery life (I got it in September and have charged it only once). And I am betting that you'll be able to get used to the black flash. It's so fast, I can't even notice it.

I have an LCD screen gadget (the iPad) and a HUGE negative is that I can't read in sunlight. Or any light for that matter. Even if I dim the lights, I can see my reflection in the screen and it gives me a headache. I'm not sure how different the Nook Color will be from the iPad (in terms of screen/resolution), but I'm guessing that the experience will be similar.

My dad loves the iPad because he can read in the dark, but I've tried reading the backlit screen in the dark and it's very tiring for my eyes. I have a clip on light ($5) for my K3 and it's really comfortable and convenient. I read during night a lot and it's perfect. If you buy a suitable clip on light for the K3, you can get over the "can't read in the dark" hurdle

I agree with tbeltrans in that the Nook Color seems to be a different "animal" (and I also repeat the question: Do you reallyyy want to read on an LCD screen for long periods of time? ). In the end, it all depends on what features you are looking for. For me, I wanted a dedicated eReader that had 3G/WiFi support (so I can email it PDF files etc). I also wanted something that truly looked like paper, so the K3 was the best choice for me.

EDIT: Also, you'll want to make sure that the Nook Color is at a comfortable weight to hold. When I read during night, I lay on my back and hold the K3 with my hands. I've tried it with the iPad and put it down immediately since it destroyed my confidence in my wrist muscles :P

Last edited by fairy_dreams; 11-21-2010 at 10:09 PM.
fairy_dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 10:10 PM   #9
CyberpunkDad
Neuromancer Fanboi
CyberpunkDad has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CyberpunkDad has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CyberpunkDad has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CyberpunkDad has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CyberpunkDad has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3 / 3G
The new pearl e-ink screen is amazing. I've read about 60-80 books on my iPhone, its doable, I have enjoyed it. The reading I've done on my Kindle has been worlds more enjoyable. Remarkably, less eye strain is a good thing. Downside is reading in bed, ya need a light. Personally I would bite the bullet and get an ipad if I really had to have color.
CyberpunkDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 10:43 PM   #10
tofubean
Connoisseur
tofubean is on a distinguished road

Device: K3, iPad, PW
I read 20+ books on my iphone before i finally gave up and get k3. Ability to read without a booklight at night is good but no matter how i reduced the lighting in iphone, it's too glaring at night. If it's too dim, the words aren't as sharp & crisp looking. I find that it's not suitable for long hours of reading. But if you only read for short intervals, i guess the lcd screen should be alright.

Not sure about nook color, but iphone screen and strong sunlight equates no reading at all.
tofubean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 10:50 PM   #11
CyberpunkDad
Neuromancer Fanboi
CyberpunkDad has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CyberpunkDad has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CyberpunkDad has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CyberpunkDad has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CyberpunkDad has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3 / 3G
Yeah, reading on my iPhone outside, even on a overcast day can suck anywhere from a little, to being completely unusable. That being said, the human beast is a remarkably resourcefull beast, I've always found a way to read if I really wanted to.

Case in point, if I read on my iPhone with my Sunglasses on I cannot turn it landscape. Something with the screen and my shades doesn't mix so I just don't do that if I have to wear shades. LOL.
CyberpunkDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 11:02 PM   #12
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberpunkDad View Post
Case in point, if I read on my iPhone with my Sunglasses on I cannot turn it landscape. Something with the screen and my shades doesn't mix so I just don't do that if I have to wear shades. LOL.
Its because LCDs have polarizing filters inside and your sunglasses also has one. Turning the iPhone on its side means you've just rotated it 90 degrees and the light coming out is the wrong polarization for the filter in your sunglasses.

Unfortunately you can't do much about it. You'll have this problem with all LCDs and that particular type of sunglasses lens.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 11:47 PM   #13
Viseguy
Just a kid from Bklyn
Viseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi; Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
The flash-to-black on K3 is trivial. Don't worry about it. As for battery life, I've charged my K3 twice since August 30. Not exactly hardship duty.
Viseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 12:33 AM   #14
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
I would say the big factor is what you want to read.

Novels? The K3 is the best choice.

Comics/Magazines, maybe even reference books (probably not big enough for that, though), then the NookColor.

The battery life on the K3 is impressive. I got mine at launch, I've only charged it once. It's gotten enough juice when I hook it up to add books. But if you leave wifi on and only get books from Amazon, yeah, it's probably closer to the 2 weeks.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 12:50 AM   #15
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I'm a new Kindle user upgrading from another ereader where the flash was very noticeable when turning the page. The Kindle 3 flash is so quick I don't even notice it. It's quicker then a blink to me. It done so well it's not annoying at all.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote