Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-21-2009, 12:31 AM   #31
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
I just finished comparing the various stores and B&N did TERRIBLY. Out of 28 books they had 13, behind Fictionwise, BooksOnBoard, Sony and Amazon (which had 27).

http://blog.gideonaddington.com/2009...and-of-ebooks/
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:49 AM   #32
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
I just finished comparing the various stores and B&N did TERRIBLY. Out of 28 books they had 13, behind Fictionwise, BooksOnBoard, Sony and Amazon (which had 27).

http://blog.gideonaddington.com/2009...and-of-ebooks/
Yeah, I just found out the same thing. Forget about it if you're hoping for better selection, they're WAY behind.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:54 AM   #33
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
Pfffft. Given that B&N just launched this, I'm willing to wait and see if their catalog improves.
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 02:13 AM   #34
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
2010 is a looong way off....

I hope other, more open devices come in before that, supporting multiple formats, incliding good PDF support, and similar size screens.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 02:51 AM   #35
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
I'm not optimistic... this is from the same people that frequently have some of the highest price PAPER books online (even with their 'membership!')

The last thing I bought online at Amazon B&N had for 70% more! $10 versus $17! And that's hardly unique!

But more the merrier. I'd love to see this market as competitive as possible... but I'm not optimistic about this particular player.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 02:52 AM   #36
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Starr View Post
From their FAQ

"The Barnes & Noble eReader is an application used to read Barnes & Noble eBooks on your iPhone, Blackberry, Windows PC or Mac. Without it, you will not be able to read Barnes & Noble eBooks. Our eBooks are encrypted to protect the authors' work. Thus, other eBook Readers will not work with Barnes & Noble eBooks. The Barnes & Noble eReader can display styled text (italicized, underlined, etc.) and formatting as well as perform functions not found on other eBook readers. The Barnes & Noble eReader is FREE and is supported on multiple devices."

Sounds like they developed their own!!?!?!?!
No, it is quite more complicated. Their own format is eReader format, a format that they have bought with fictionwise. Apart from slight cosmetical changes, it's still the same software (a bit more user friendly now) ereader is available on iPhone/iPod, too. EReader books can be read with Stanza, too.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 03:40 AM   #37
krischik
Addict
krischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheese

Device: P990i, PRS 505
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Starr View Post
Sounds like they developed their own!!?!?!?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabound View Post
So I guess it would make sense for B&N to use the eReader format because they now own it after buying Fictionwise.
They already own Fictionwise which is a multiformat eBook shop which already sells DRM-free. So why this? This sounds like the Amazon / Mobipocket stupidness reloaded.

Last edited by krischik; 07-21-2009 at 03:46 AM.
krischik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 04:10 AM   #38
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Personally I'm much more excited at the possibility of Plastic Logic finally coming to market, even if it's with a ho-hum bookstore backing it. If the PL reader is any good, I couldn't care less about the bookstore it's affiliated with. It'd be nice if they weren't all trying to corner their own market by betraying the spirit of openness books are supposed to represent, but I'm happy that there might actually be a good product hitting shelves soon. Of course, it's probably just wishful thinking that it'll be a strong competitor with the glass solutions.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 05:09 AM   #39
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
The plastic logic reader does look like it is exactly what I need, I may well get myself one of these if the software is any good and WiFi, touch screen work as advertised.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 05:13 AM   #40
13xforever
Connoisseur
13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H₂O & iPad Pro 2020 12.9"
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
But from what I understand both Amazon and Sony have gone out of their way to cut out other competitors from their devices, so we can't blame B&N for that.
Amazon - yes. Sony - no. Sony supports ePub, which can be DRMed, but it is supported on far more devices, than eReader.

Personally, I still prefer Books on Board (because they almost all the time have ePub versions) and my today's experience at B&N was disastrous.
First, I found free eBook from Google (which isn't geographically restricted by itself), then I tried to download it and was forced to buy it for $0.01 (see, they require you to have a credit card), buy my records indicate that they charged $1 (or maybe they just took it on hold, but the fact is that I can't use this $1 now). And this happens every time I try to download a book.
On my 2nd try I guessed, that Public Domain books are geographically restricted (poking in a few places seems to confirm this, but I didn't see a clear notice or warning).
Their eReader software doesn't work from behind the proxy with authentication. It just freezes, and without the client software you couldn't download a sample (but you still could download a full purchased book from your Library).
So, all in all, it was pretty unpleasant experience and a strong disappointment. I hope that in a few months they'll fix all the bumps and then it will be up to compete with another eBook sellers.

Last edited by 13xforever; 07-21-2009 at 05:27 AM. Reason: about poor client software
13xforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 06:59 AM   #41
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaldo View Post
Yep, my thoughts exactly.

So it's reading for everyone... on PC, Mac, Blackberry and iPhone. I don't have a phone I want to read on, and I don't want to read on a computer. I know I'm not alone here. This is not reading for everyone, it's reading for everyone who doesn't want to buy an ebook reader. I was hoping B&N would actually open things up, but instead they've offered a site that's got an even more limited audience.
I think B&N's strategy is to get their ereader on as many devices as they can. As for EInk, the EZ-Reader and the Eslick both say they will have Ereader DRM Support. In addition, Ereader DRM will play nice in the sandbox with other DRM readers such as Adobe Digital Editions, unlike Mobi (Amazon).

This is the reason I bought the EZ-Reader and will buy the pocketpro. Flexibility in their support of multiple formats.
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 07:25 AM   #42
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Unfortunately, eReader is technically the poorest of all the popular eBook formats in terms of its capabilities. It offers a very restricted range of formatting options. It's OK for straightforward novels, but it will do very badly for anything which has more complex formatting requirements.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 07:41 AM   #43
thianliongpatpoh
Zealot
thianliongpatpoh doesn't litterthianliongpatpoh doesn't litterthianliongpatpoh doesn't litter

Device: iPad
I totally agree with the fact that ereader is the poorest ebook format. What's with the cover limitation? Can't go full color on cover? Even mobi, with the limitation of 63kb FILESIZE, offers full color covers.
I was excited when a while ago ereader app was offered as free app for iPhone. Downloaded it, and because my iPhone is my main reading device, I regretfully change my preferred ebook format (.lit) to .pdb...
I could only stand 3 or 4 purchases (from ereader, fictionwise and booksonboard).
Then the Kindle app is available for my iPhone. I'm a kindle ebook customer eversince.
thianliongpatpoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:00 AM   #44
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Unfortunately, eReader is technically the poorest of all the popular eBook formats in terms of its capabilities. It offers a very restricted range of formatting options. It's OK for straightforward novels, but it will do very badly for anything which has more complex formatting requirements.
That may be a disadvantage for many of the folks on this site, but it is probably of much less consequence to the reading public at large. Fiction novels seem to make up a rather large proportion of the inventory in book stores that I have visited. I would guess that B&N knows very well what proportion of their customer base will be well served by their eReader format choice.
IMHO, a significant plus for the eReader's DRM method is that it's DRM restricts reading to the owner of a credit card and not to a specific reading device. I have always preferred that DRM method( if I have to use one) since I first started reading on Palm devices some years ago. For the folks that need a Swiss Army Knife type of book format, B&N can always expand their format offerings when/if they see the need.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:21 AM   #45
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
"The Barnes & Noble eReader is built primarily to support eBook files sold at BN.com. These text files end in either .pdb or prc and have been specifically packaged for use on a handheld using the Barnes & Noble eReader."

I found this in the FAQs - as to the formats they are using - DRM-ed of course.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote