Old 04-17-2012, 03:44 PM   #16
Cinderela
Enthusiast
Cinderela began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Hi,

I have seen one very strange thing. Your metadata item "Description" seems to use both html tags and smart quotes in it. This is true for both books you have sent.

I have never actually seen a book with html tags used inside of a metadata field.

Could you try deleting the html tags from the "Description" and use dumb quotes and see if the Kindle Fire still gives you trouble.

Code:
EXTH MetaData
    Key: "Description"
        Value: "<div><p><em>I put it to William, particularly, that if you find someone you love in life, you must hang on to that love and look after it. . . . You must protect it. </em>
Where/how would I make this change? I have never worked with code before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
You might want to PM him those files. They are Copyrighted and should be removed from the post above. I took a look at them before deleting them. The epub are Calibre converted sources not originals. You should convert from the original epub you got in ADE straight to mobi and see if that fixes it.
I deleted the files from the post. I thought I attached the originals, but apparently not............but if the source is the problem, why can the KB read them?
Cinderela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:47 PM   #17
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Hi,

Yes, as Blossom said, if these are commercial copyrighted ebooks, please edit your post and remove the FilesRequested.zip attachment. They should be removed from Mobileread asap.

Both files read / viewed perfectly fine using the very latest Kindle Previewer.
Both mobi ebooks both unpack perfectly with Mobi_Unpack.py and the only unusual thing is the use of # <div> <em> tags in the metadata for Description. I looked at the epubs you sent, and they do not have the extensive metadata Description with its html tags at all. So that was something you added inside of calibre. I am not sure what the use of html tags might do when parsing the information. I do not own a Kindle Fire device to test with.

If removing the Description does not help, then creating a private "issue" in the bug reporting site for Calibre is your best bet. That way the ebooks are protected from prying eyes. Please provide step by step instructions on how to recreate the problem when using a Kindle Fire and let him know that the Kindle Previewer does not seem to have a problem with them.
I can confirm these are crashing the Kindle Fire. So it's the books not the Fire that are bad. My advice would be reconvert them from original source and see if that fixes it.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:53 PM   #18
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderela View Post
I deleted the files from the post. I thought I attached the originals, but apparently not............but if the source is the problem, why can the KB read them?
I think only Kovid or Amazon can answer that one. It's the book though not the Fire. So no reset needed as they crashed on my Fire before deleting them.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:53 PM   #19
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Hi,

I did find one other interesting thing that was wrong in common with both. The metadata have Amazon ASIN values that are completely incorrect.

Key: "ASIN"
Value: "543e6717-faf7-4331-9ea2-25733abea6bc"

Value: "33a9a718-efdb-4687-b064-9b9ba3522c71"

Since the ASIN is how Amazon devices sync across platforms, use of uuid in place of the correct ASIN might cause a problem with any device that tries to sync with a strange formatted non-ASIN. (ie. ties to sync pages across devices).

ASIN's should not be made up nor should they be UUID strings.

Please delete the ASIN metadata values and see if that does the trick.

KevinH
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:53 PM   #20
Cinderela
Enthusiast
Cinderela began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I can confirm these are crashing the Kindle Fire. So it's the books not the Fire that are bad. My advice would be reconvert them from original source and see if that fixes it.
Thank you! It's good to know it's the file not the FIRE!! I'll follow your and Kevin's advice!

Appreciate your time. At least I know I'm not crazy!
Cinderela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:27 AM   #21
ToeRag
ToeRag began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2 (2) & Kindle Fire (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderela View Post
Thank you! It's good to know it's the file not the FIRE!! I'll follow your and Kevin's advice!

Appreciate your time. At least I know I'm not crazy!
It may also be useful if you have another computer to try converting with? Install a fresh copy of Calibre - and try that.

I know that there are a few "plug-Ins" available that can change the output - some that remove/strip DRM. You may want to check and see if there are any active plug-ins running.

I know that I've had issues either side-loading or WiFi sending some files to my Fire that I don't have issues with on my Kindle 2.
ToeRag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:49 PM   #22
benee16
benee16 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
I had a problem with one particular book closing constantly. I deleted it off the fire, and re-edited the meta data, and then moved it back onto the fire with Calibre, and it worked fine. Thanks for the tips. I think it was the ASIN numbers, but I'm not sure.
benee16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:00 PM   #23
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
In hopes of attracting some calibre folks to offer their opinions, I've taken the liberty of moving this thread to the calibre forum.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:31 PM   #24
Sasssysweeet
Enthusiast
Sasssysweeet began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire and K3G
My apologies for not responding as I was supposed to be receiving a notice if someone responded here and didn't get any. I'm going to try the suggestions and see if they work. I will return shortly with an update.
Sasssysweeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:33 PM   #25
Sasssysweeet
Enthusiast

Quote:
Hi,

I have access to some tools like Mobi_Unpack.py and DumpMobiHeader.py that should be able to let us compare to see what has changed.

Please find an older calibre mobi conversion from an epub in your library that works and save it and then convert that epub again using the latest calibre and verify that the new conversion is faulty.

Then post a zip archive of both the broken and working mobis. And it wouldn't hurt to include the original epub as well.

With the Mobi_Unpack.py and DumpMobiHeader.py tools, we should be able to see what if anything changed to help Kovid track down the issue.

KevinH
Kevin I have tried this multiple times before I came here. I thought it was something I was doing at first but finally tried this suggestion and discovered it was not me.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:38 PM   #26
Sasssysweeet
Enthusiast

Quote:
Hi,

I did find one other interesting thing that was wrong in common with both. The metadata have Amazon ASIN values that are completely incorrect.

Value: "543e6717-faf7-4331-9ea2-25733abea6bc"

Value: "33a9a718-efdb-4687-b064-9b9ba3522c71"

Since the ASIN is how Amazon devices sync across platforms, use of uuid in place of the correct ASIN might cause a problem with any device that tries to sync with a strange formatted non-ASIN. (ie. ties to sync pages across devices).

ASIN's should not be made up nor should they be UUID strings.

Please delete the ASIN metadata values and see if that does the trick.

KevinH
I'm not familiar with any of this. Can you tell me where I find this info and how to know if it is wrong. However, I have a book that I converted with Calibre that works on my KF, but ... I went to convert it again to add a decent cover to the file and that book won't read in my KF. Shouldn't it have the same number?
Old 04-19-2012, 10:40 PM   #27
Sasssysweeet
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
In hopes of attracting some calibre folks to offer their opinions, I've taken the liberty of moving this thread to the calibre forum.
Where is the Calibre forum? I started this thread and was following but didn't get notices that there were new comments and I really don't want to lose track of this because this problem has been driving me crazy for about a month now.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:47 PM   #28
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasssysweeet View Post
Where is the Calibre forum?
It is here. Or search for your own posts.

However, if you are reading this you are already here.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:51 PM   #29
Sasssysweeet
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
It is here. Or search for your own posts.

However, if you are reading this you are already here.
Okay, I'm here, in my original thread but I was reading where it said that it had been moved so I thought I was in the wrong place. I'm very very new to forums and a lot of the stuff goes on in them. For instance what is the KB vs. KF. I know KF is Kindle Fire, is KB one of the earlier readers because I have K3G.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:07 AM   #30
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasssysweeet View Post
For instance what is the KB vs. KF. I know KF is Kindle Fire, is KB one of the earlier readers because I have K3G.
KB is Kindle Keyboard, which used to be called the Kindle 3 (K3 or K3G) before the new Kindles came out.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote