Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Poll: Do you love or hate serialized ebooks?
I never read serialized ebooks 96 57.83%
I try to avoid serialized ebooks if I can 55 33.13%
I prefer serials 15 9.04%
I only read serials 0 0%
Voters: 166. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-07-2010, 11:51 AM   #31
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
As for people here saying that they'd never read a serial you are missing out on some very good stories.

And you know what? They'll be just as good, and even better for me, when I can sit down and read them as complete works.

Waiting until they're done solves a lot of problems I have with serials. I'm not about to dive in again when waiting means I'm a lot happier than I would be otherwise. I'm especially not paying for something that's not complete, and may never be.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 11:52 AM   #32
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
How about "Would consider reading a serialized ebook, don't hate the idea, but wouldn't particularly seek them out?"

(I wrote a serial, published online, a couple of years ago. It was great fun. No idea how many people actually read it. I keep meaning to turn it into an ebook.)

ETA: Should probably point out that lots of people read fan fiction, which is often serialized as it is posted.

Last edited by MaggieScratch; 06-07-2010 at 12:09 PM.
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2010, 12:01 PM   #33
Carl246
Carl246 began at the beginning.

Device: Ipod touch, Kindle
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuskyRose View Post
As for people here saying that they'd never read a serial you are missing out on some very good stories.

And you know what? They'll be just as good, and even better for me, when I can sit down and read them as complete works.
That's fine too DuskyRose, but I was referring to people who miss them out completely. At the end of the day, the only thing that will improve serialization are guidelines. Rules if you like, that set out to give the writer a clear picture as to what is expected of them when writing a serialization.

Carl
Carl246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 01:55 PM   #34
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
My experiences in reading fan fiction have taught me to hate Works-in-Progress and to avoid the completed story where the author posts a chapter a week. It's way too much work to keep track of and if the author dies you'll never get to read the end! I read a lot and I tend to forget to go back and finish the story. Also every time a reader leaves the story there is a chance they may not come back to finish it.

That authors would want to go this route in published fiction boggles my mind. People use Charles Dickens as an example but times are different now.
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 02:16 PM   #35
Smashwords
Connoisseur
Smashwords ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smashwords ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smashwords ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smashwords ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smashwords ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smashwords ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smashwords ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smashwords ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smashwords ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smashwords ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smashwords ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Great discussion, everyone. A few of you have commented I should have offered a middle ground option in the poll, such as, "I'm indifferent, it depends on the writer." You're right, in retrospect, I should have. Maybe at the conclusion of the poll someone will see fit to post another poll. In the meantime, biased or not, I think it's interesting how dramatically the results skew to the right. I had expected to see more interest in serials (and frankly, was looking for justification for us to do more with them at Smashwords). The message I'm hearing here, as well as from emails I've received from Smashwords customers, serials are more likely to frustrate or anger readers than satisfy them. Thanks, everyone, for sharing your insights, pro and con.
Smashwords is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2010, 03:08 PM   #36
Jake_Drake
Enthusiast
Jake_Drake can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Jake_Drake can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Jake_Drake can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Jake_Drake can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Jake_Drake can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Jake_Drake can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Jake_Drake can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Jake_Drake can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Jake_Drake can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Jake_Drake can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Jake_Drake can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle
Like most other people in here, I don't read serialized books. Books that are part of a series is another matter, as long as they are complete in and of themselves. If I see a book that is serialized I pass it on without a second look.
Jake_Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 03:08 PM   #37
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieScratch View Post
ETA: Should probably point out that lots of people read fan fiction, which is often serialized as it is posted.
Ugh. Fiction by people who lack the talent to create their own characters. Pass.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 03:12 PM   #38
Wayne Watson
Wayne Watson began at the beginning.

Device: none
I did serialize my first book on a blog, but folks coming in at the middle of the story found it a chore to read, having to backtrack through blogger!

I wouldn't even think of serializing until I had a finished story- I go back and change things around too much.
Wayne Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 03:42 PM   #39
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
I don't like serials:
1) Don't like twenty small files/books/whatever instead of one compilation.

2) Don't like the risk of missing the next issue, which is not particularly likely with an ebook but past experiences with physical media have soured me on the idea. (If the local store runs out of that magazine before I get there, I miss a segment of the story.)

3) Don't enjoy having to remember character names & other details after days/weeks of not thinking about the story.

4) Don't like the risk of it never finishing, either due to disaster or author boredom.

5) If it's certain to finish--it's completed before posting, and someone will take over if the author is unavailable--see pt 1; I'd rather read it all at once. I can wait.

There are people who like them. Who enjoy the little taste of a story rather than the full-immersion experience (or in addition to); who don't mind enjoying a story that might never finish (apparently, a lot of people watch soap operas). Shrug. I'm not likely to pay for something I know is a serial until it's done, and not likely to pay more for the pieces than I would for the whole thing, which means the pieces would have to be very modestly priced.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 03:47 PM   #40
alecE
Evangelist
alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs505, prs650, kobo Glo HD liseuses
Loathe & detest serials. If really pushed *might* read a serial appearing in a magazine, *if* there were other more useful content which would be my primary reason to buy said magazine.
alecE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 05:11 PM   #41
DaringNovelist
Addict
DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch
This thread has opened my eyes to something interesting. Two things really:

1. Clearly the definition of "serial" has changed, and there has been a LOT of posting of bad, chopped up, rough draft fiction in the name of serials. A serial is not a story chopped into bits (especially not a rough draft). A serial is a series. It's just a particular style of series.

2. Television, of course, is built on serials. Sure, there are some series which don't develop from story to story at all. (Although The Simpsons is the only series which intentionally has NO story arc, where one plot could end with everyone dying, and the next will have them all back where they were before.) And at the other end of the spectrum are series like LOST or 24 - a continuous story, where each episode ends with a cliffhanger and if you miss an episode you're, well, lost.

But there are plenty which actually follow closer to the formula of the old time serial. Stories like CHUCK or BURN NOTICE - where there is an ongoing story too, but each individual story is whole in itself. If you miss an episode you may kick yourself, but you don't screw yourself - you can still follow the storyline.

Camille
DaringNovelist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 05:53 PM   #42
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
If you paid me $5 per installment to read a serial novel I wouldn't. I already have too much to read.

I keep hearing how pushing installments to cell phones is all the rage in Japan but I don't understand why. I can understand if you want to experiment with it but I'd suggest setting up a separate website for the installment model. If I'm buying an ebook I don't want to have to check if it's complete or not.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:11 PM   #43
dgillette.rm
Connoisseur
dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: sony
I guess I do not know what to do with this poll. Can someone explain to me why "The Lord of the Rings" is not a serialized book? What about David Weber's Honor Harrington series or Robert Jordon? I will agree that I do not want to end up paying $20 for a $7 book because it came out in 10 installments of $2 each. On the other hand, I refuse to pay Baen $15 for their advanced ebooks that they eventually sell for $7 if you wait.
dgillette.rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:30 PM   #44
DaringNovelist
Addict
DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashwords View Post
The message I'm hearing here, as well as from emails I've received from Smashwords customers, serials are more likely to frustrate or anger readers than satisfy them. Thanks, everyone, for sharing your insights, pro and con.
It sounds like a lot of people have been burned by amateur efforts.

You may want to keep the idea open for something more like "subscriptions" and "series" as opposed to "serial." A subscription implies a guarantee, for one thing. (And you already have people publishing things like series.)

As I mentioned above, I'm playing with a serial blog as a promotional thing (and I'm only putting up works that are FINISHED, and are or will be available as a whole unit) - I'll let you know if it seems to take on any level of success.

Camille
DaringNovelist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 07:15 PM   #45
BillSmithBooks
Padawan Learner
BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: www.OutlawGalaxy.com, Foothills of NY's Adirondack mountains
Device: My PC...using Puppy Linux (FBReader, Calibre, Kindle Cloud Reader,
I am generally a believer in the wisdom of crowds, but in this case I strongly disagree.

Eliminate serials? So basically the argument is that the story must be full and complete in the original publication...

That means that Smashwords wouldn't publish, let's see...Lord of the Rings, Wheel of Time, the Shannara series, the Chronicles of Narnia, Burroughs' Tarzan and John Carter series, Conan...

No Green Mile, no Hitchiker's Guide, no shared-universe stories like Wild Cards or Forgotten Realms

No Ender's Game series, no sequel to Mote in God's Eye, no more Rama novels, no 2012

No Star Wars novels, no prose version of Babylon 5 or Lost or Battlestar Galactica or Dr. Who or 24 or Buffy or Angel or any television series with a story arc for that matter.

No prose versions of comic books: no Spider-Man, Batman, Superman, X-Men...

No freakin' Whedonverse!!!

All because these stories are serialized.

They say people vote with their wallets. The wallets show that this poll is grossly inaccurate.
BillSmithBooks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebooks, serials