Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 02-10-2010, 06:15 PM   #1
vidgej
vidgej began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Pocket Pro epub font change problem

I have a Pocket Pro and I really need to change the epub font of my books cuz the epub font output from Calibre is not black enough. So I tried this:

@font-face {
font-family: "Freestyle Script";
src:url(res:///Data/FONT/FREESCPT.TTF);
}
in the CSS and put your font at FONT/FREESCPT.TTF of internal storage.

but it didnt work. Somebody please give me the detailed step by step procedure. Thanks.

If you could also give me the instructions on how to change epub to BOLDface, that will be very much appreciated. Thanks again!
vidgej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 07:38 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
See Fonts and Epub - What works on Sony, Works for Pocket Pro too!

Replace DATA/FONT with abook/fonts and put the fonts in the "fonts" folder on the SD card. To use bold, add the following:
Code:
body {
	font-weight: bold;
}
Note that you need to add the bold variant of the font as a font face for this to work as you would expect.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2010, 09:34 PM   #3
vidgej

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post

Replace DATA/FONT with abook/fonts and put the fonts in the "fonts" folder on the SD card. To use bold, add the following:
Code:
body {
}
Note that you need to add the bold variant of the font as a font face for this to work as you would expect.
Thank you very much! I haven't tried it yet cuz im still at work right now. But im pretty sure it will work! You have no idea how life-changing your reply will be. I've only been a member of MobileRead for a month but i've already learned a lot. Thanks so much again!
Old 02-11-2010, 08:51 PM   #4
vidgej

Quote:

Code:
body {
}
It worked! But it didnt work with some bold fonts, like tahoma bold and verdana bold. i put the

body {
}

the font turned bold but the font style i wanted didnt take effect. i followed the procedure. Although i like the original font output of Calibre in bold, it would be nicer if i could use other bold fonts.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:13 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidgej View Post
it would be nicer if i could use other bold fonts.
An approach I favor is to redefine serif (and san-serif if you want, but serif is the default) to be your input font. That way there is no need to override the "default" font:

Code:
@font-face {
  font-family: "Constantia", serif, sans-serif;
  font-weight: normal;
  font-style: normal;
  src: url(res:///abook/fonts/CONSTAN.TTF);
}
@font-face {
  src: url(res:///abook/fonts/CONSTANBD.TTF);
}
@font-face {
  font-style: italic;
  src: url(res:///abook/fonts/CONSTANI.TTF);
}
@font-face {
  src: url(res:///abook/fonts/CONSTANBI.TTF);
}

body {
}
Advert
Old 02-12-2010, 08:09 AM   #6
vidgej

Quote:
An approach I favor is to redefine serif (and san-serif if you want, but serif is the default) to be your input font. That way there is no need to override the "default" font:

Code:
@font-face {
  src: url(res:///abook/fonts/CONSTAN.TTF);
}
@font-face {
  src: url(res:///abook/fonts/CONSTANBD.TTF);
}
@font-face {
  src: url(res:///abook/fonts/CONSTANI.TTF);
}
@font-face {
  src: url(res:///abook/fonts/CONSTANBI.TTF);
}

body {
}
Thanks so much!
Old 02-12-2010, 09:32 AM   #7
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
For the font changes via CSS, is there a parallel way to do this via the Calibre GUI instead? I'm not a CSS expert by any stretch of the imagination, but would love to have darker fonts as well as the OP.

Thanks!
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:19 AM   #8
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93terp View Post
For the font changes via CSS, is there a parallel way to do this via the Calibre GUI instead?
Yes, this is Extra CSS under Look & Feel.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:30 PM   #9
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Yes, this is Extra CSS under Look & Feel.
Thanks Wallcraft!
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote