Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-09-2009, 03:44 PM   #1
thatsthat
thatsthat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Question Kindle 2 Australia (Sydney) can't connect to 3G Whispernet

I think the subject says it all.

I have had the device for 2 months but can as of yesterday 09/12 sydney time I can't can't to 3G anywhere in the city or at my place by the beach. Never had a problem before.

I have done soft, hard and now a factory reset and nothing.

The bars come up , they go grey but they come back with no solids and no 3G symbol.

Strangely, while it is 'trying' to connect if i click the menu the 3G symbol temporarily apperas and the time like 9:35 pm appears (i didn't know the kindle did time!).

Anybody else having troubles in Australia or Sydney specifically?
thatsthat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:47 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Have you tried contacting Amazon thr their 'contact us' button?

I'm hoping the customer service there is as great as it is here.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2009, 07:58 PM   #3
missglamourpuss
missglamourpuss began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2 (Australia)
I'm having the exact same problem in Sydney (near the city). Extremely frustrating!
missglamourpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 09:04 PM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
It's mostly likely a problem with AT&T. I have the Sprint version of Kindle 2 and recall having a couple of days without coverage (and I'm in a very strong coverage area) because Sprint was having equipment problems in my area.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 10:24 PM   #5
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
I read on the Amazon forum just now that they couldnt connect. I am currently in South Australia and have connected just fine. And a book I just ordered appeared.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2009, 12:25 AM   #6
Sandy K
Sandy K began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 (International)
I'm also having issues. I'm in Newcastle and as of yesterday can't connect. I'm only covered by EDGE not 3G. Hopefully the issue will be resolved soon. I'm sorry to hear that you have lost wireless connection also, but relieved to know that it's not just me.
Sandy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 07:43 AM   #7
thatsthat
thatsthat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thumbs up Issue has been resolved

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsthat View Post
I think the subject says it all.

I have had the device for 2 months but can as of yesterday 09/12 sydney time I can't can't to 3G anywhere in the city or at my place by the beach. Never had a problem before.

I have done soft, hard and now a factory reset and nothing.

The bars come up , they go grey but they come back with no solids and no 3G symbol.

Strangely, while it is 'trying' to connect if i click the menu the 3G symbol temporarily apperas and the time like 9:35 pm appears (i didn't know the kindle did time!).

Anybody else having troubles in Australia or Sydney specifically?

Okay first off Amazon support rocks! I called (you request via the website and they phone you back in about 3 seconds). The guy took me through the steps and then said go to:

1) Menu
2) Settings
3) Type in your key pad 311 This will search for all wireless providers. And you just have to keep selecting one till it works.

I think my problem was I had flipped my country to usa from australia to buy stuff in the american store and when i flipped it back that started the problems.

Anyways ...311 is a great help for other issues too.
thatsthat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 05:35 PM   #8
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I dont use the kindle to buy books but always do it through the computer so I always have a copy. And have never had the problem with the wireless not working.

But I do flip backwards and forwards from the US to AUS on the PC. And yesterday I managed to buy a US book with an Australian credit card - thought I had more left on the gift card. I must have put that credit card to the '1click' by default when the gift card ran out, and it went through just fine. It didnt even ask me if this was the correct card. So maybe a blind eye is being turned even to AUS credit cards, as long as there is a US address registered to the account.

Amazon knows what you do with the kindle as soon as you turn the wireless on - it logs everything that has happened with the kindle including installing the hacks. I think if it was forced delete books bought from the US only site then turning on the wireless is where that deletion would happen. No wireless = no deletion. This happened recently when Lord of the Rings was deleted from people's kindles; Amazon had accidentally made the books available on the kindle but the publishers forced Amazon to withdraw the book. And extract it from peoples kindles.
Old 12-12-2009, 08:14 PM   #9
Sandy K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
I dont use the kindle to buy books but always do it through the computer so I always have a copy. And have never had the problem with the wireless not working.

But I do flip backwards and forwards from the US to AUS on the PC. And yesterday I managed to buy a US book with an Australian credit card - thought I had more left on the gift card. I must have put that credit card to the '1click' by default when the gift card ran out, and it went through just fine. It didnt even ask me if this was the correct card. So maybe a blind eye is being turned even to AUS credit cards, as long as there is a US address registered to the account.

Pushka, I have bought US only books but never used a gift card. I've only used my AUS credit card, but had a US address
Old 12-12-2009, 08:15 PM   #10
Sandy K

Quote:

Okay first off Amazon support rocks! I called (you request via the website and they phone you back in about 3 seconds). The guy took me through the steps and then said go to:

1) Menu
2) Settings
3) Type in your key pad 311 This will search for all wireless providers. And you just have to keep selecting one till it works.

I think my problem was I had flipped my country to usa from australia to buy stuff in the american store and when i flipped it back that started the problems.

Anyways ...311 is a great help for other issues too.
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!!!

ETA: after I did the above, I logged on to my email and had the exact same advice from Amazon customer service emailed to me.

Last edited by Sandy K; 12-12-2009 at 09:19 PM.
Old 12-13-2009, 04:51 PM   #11
Pushka
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy K View Post

Pushka, I have bought US only books but never used a gift card. I've only used my AUS credit card, but had a US address
That is really interesting to read. On the kindleboards forum, many people are reporting that even using a gift card and a US address, if living elsewhere they may have purchased one or two books, but then get an error message and cant purchase anymore. I am wondering if they have switched their country and not realised it.

Nice to see you from the Amazon forum by the way!
Old 12-13-2009, 05:22 PM   #12
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:

1) Menu
2) Settings
That's a great Kindle International tip! Thanks.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 08:38 PM   #13
Pushka
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
That's a great Kindle International tip! Thanks.
Out of curiosity I tried it yesterday and it warned me I might not be able to log on to Whispernet. As I didnt have any issues, I chickened out.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:40 AM   #14
ozyazik
new to kindle
ozyazik began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
thanks, thatsthat, for the info about 311, it fixed my problem. I am near the centre of Sydney and had the same problem as you for the last couple of days. I just found this forum, and no doubt I will be back here again.
ozyazik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 02:40 PM   #15
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
I am having the same problem in South Africa. My Kindle works fine but my wifes will not connect. using the 311 thing brings up a list of service providers but how do I know which one to select? The preferred option of switching automatically is not helping.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote