Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-20-2014, 12:43 AM   #1
Miira
Miira began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Any other 8-10 inch readers, besides the DX?

I have a DX, like it for the most part, but I suspect it's in its death throes. I could just buy a new one, but I'm peeved that Amazon hasn't released it in a PaperWhite. Do I have any other options?
Miira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:55 PM   #2
petrucci
Groupie
petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
There are other options. They include the Onxy M92, Icarus, Ectaco Jetbook Color, Pocketbook pro 912 to name a few.

If you speak Japanese and have the cash there is the new Sony DPT S1.

The DX is still one of the less expensive options.
petrucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2014, 04:13 PM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
You suspect it's in its death throes?

Can you be more specific with details.

Perhaps someone here can offer helpful suggestions about the DX. (By the way, is that a DX? Or a DX-G?)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:48 PM   #4
Miira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
You suspect it's in its death throes?

Can you be more specific with details.

Perhaps someone here can offer helpful suggestions about the DX. (By the way, is that a DX? Or a DX-G?)

It randomly restarts and the battery life is getting shorter. It's also pretty banged up(scratches, cracked shell, side slots for retaining the cover are stretched to the point cover no longer attaches at all). This is an original DX that has seen heavy use. It's not a DX-G.

Last edited by Miira; 02-27-2014 at 07:56 PM.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:49 PM   #5
Miira

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrucci View Post
There are other options. They include the Onxy M92, Icarus, Ectaco Jetbook Color, Pocketbook pro 912 to name a few.

If you speak Japanese and have the cash there is the new Sony DPT S1.

The DX is still one of the less expensive options.
Thanks! Researching now. Any one better than the others?
Advert
Old 03-03-2014, 10:16 AM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
This may not be an option for you, but if you really do like the DX (and you say that it's starting to fail on you), then I would strongly suggest you look into the DX-G.

The DX-G is an older device, to be sure, but for some people - myself included - we enjoy the experience of reading novels on a larger device.

If you want some of the newer technology, then I would advise NOT buying the DX-G.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote