Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-08-2013, 05:18 PM   #391
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Yeah, my main issue is that it's a bitch to do in a safe/sane way on FW 4.x & 5.x, because the modprobe call is (and has to be, to avoid a host of weird shit) handled by volumd, and can only be tweaked through kdb, whose db lives in a ro cramfs... So I'm open to ideas on how to handle that safely, in a not too ugly way...

Aside from that, knc1 mentioned building the mac address based on the s/n, which is a pretty neat idea.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 08-08-2013 at 05:22 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:40 PM   #392
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
@hawhill, NiLuJe, others:
OK, mac address ball is in my court now.
Let's see if I fumble it.

Last edited by knc1; 08-08-2013 at 06:47 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2013, 09:26 AM   #393
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
@hawhill, NiLuJe, others:
OK, mac address ball is in my court now.
Let's see if I fumble it.
OUI field - Can't find one registered to Amazon under any name that I can think of, so . . .

Will steal an OUI from the reserved field CF:00:00 ... CF:FF:FF (some PPP registrations - as long as we don't collide with Amazon's 3G MACS - will make my choice carefully to avoid the registered 3G carriers).

(CF:DE:AD jumps to mind)

Ref:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5342 section 2.3.2

Edit:
Looks like that is workable:
http://www.macvendorlookup.com/

Last edited by knc1; 08-09-2013 at 10:04 AM.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:55 AM   #394
knc1
Going Viral

Kindle unique MAC addresses

The unique USB networking MAC addresses plan.
Both ends of the cable **should** have a globally unique MAC address.

Code:
[root@kindle root]# cat /proc/usid ; echo
B0241604311703FA
Make a conservative estimate of the entropy in that:
Code:
B024  - 5 bits
1604311703 - 10 * 3 == 30 bits
FA - 2 * 4 == 8 bits
Total entropy: 43 bits, need at least 48 bits

Code:
[root@kindle root]# cat /proc/board_id ; echo
00A1607131130CYG
That is certainly another 3 bits worth.

Code:
[root@kindle root]# cat /proc/usid /proc/board_id ; echo
B0241604311703FA00A1607131130CYG
That should serve as the "Hello, I am: ...." name tag.

Now, not to disclose device private information, take a one-way hash sum:
Code:
[root@kindle root]# cat /proc/usid /proc/board_id | md5sum
af75bab85599c7cc2abb95a248da709b  -
With a bit of string chopping:
af:75:ba
b85599c7cc2abb95a248
da:70:9b

Plus the prior post OUI, yields (on the Kindle):
Code:
g_ether dev_addr="cf:de:ad:af:75:ba" host_addr="cf:de:ad:da:70:9b"
And on the workstation end, stuff a rule file into the /etc/udev tree, like:
Code:
ACTION!="add", GOTO="net-end"
SUBSYSTEM!="net", GOTO="net-end"

# Kindle USB network interface name(s)

# My first paperwhite's persistent USBnetwork interface name:
ATTR{address}=="cf:de:ad:da:70:9b", KERNEL="usb*", NAME="kpw0"

# Others

LABEL="net_end"
Now, whatever network automation your workstation uses, it can configure for a specific Kindle by the interface name (kpw0) you assigned in your rules file.

Next -
Figure out how to automate that in the Kindle's firmware image.

Last edited by knc1; 08-09-2013 at 11:40 AM.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:43 PM   #395
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Okay, got something working on the unique MAC addresses front. For the K2/3/4 for now, will port it to FW 5.x in a bit. Hopefully will be less painful.

As I feared, the volumd handling is terribly awful, so it's hidden behind a config switch, but it appears to work, and handles both sides.

EDIT: K5 port done.

(Everything's on SVN, if someone wants to take the plunge).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 08-09-2013 at 08:45 PM.
Advert
Old 08-09-2013, 09:27 PM   #396
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
(Everything's on SVN, if someone wants to take the plunge).
Dumb question: What SVN?
Maybe a link to it?
Old 08-09-2013, 09:41 PM   #397
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Legacy: https://svn.ak-team.com/svn/Configs/trunk/Kindle/Hacks/
K5: https://svn.ak-team.com/svn/Configs/...e/Touch_Hacks/

Needs to be checked out side by side or the buildscripts will shout at you .
Old 08-09-2013, 10:05 PM   #398
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:

Thanks!
Old 08-10-2013, 04:48 AM   #399
zxczxc
Addict
zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Do you also have the KUAL Firewall/BBB filter installed?

I haven't (yet) done an integration package for the KUAL Firewall and the KUAL USBnetworking applications.
i haven't intstalled any firewall or filter, although i am planning to do it soon.

Quote:
Okay, the status button will be fixed in the next version, thanks!
thank you very much!
zxczxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:45 AM   #400
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:

Haven't tried it yet, but have had time to do a bit of "proof reading".
Looks like you have the unique MAC address problem solved for the next release.
A big: Thanks for that.

In the mean time, I will just plug in my kindles one at a time.
**AND**
Work on fixing the various problems of my own posted buttons.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:37 AM   #401
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@knc1: Great, thanks for taking a look at it .

That said, if someone has a better method to trick volumd, I'm all ears, because the current workaround isn't terribly pretty... .
Old 08-17-2013, 12:19 PM   #402
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Released USBNet 0.10.N, which includes, besides updated binaries, the unique MAC address stuff discussed before.

As mentioned previously and in the comments of the config file, I wouldn't recommending enabling this unless you really need it, the way it's implemented isn't really pretty .

It's hidden behind a config switch, so you will need to update your config file manually if you have customized it. There's now a KUAL button that restores the default config, and the default config is available in usbnet/etc to ease manual merging.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:24 PM   #403
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Released USBNet 0.10.N, which includes, besides updated binaries, the unique MAC address stuff discussed before.

As mentioned previously and in the comments of the config file, I wouldn't recommending enabling this unless you really need it, the way it's implemented isn't really pretty .

It's hidden behind a config switch, so you will need to update your config file manually if you have customized it. There's now a KUAL button that restores the default config, and the default config is available in usbnet/etc to ease manual merging.
Thanks a lot -
Since it is a "development environment" sort of thing, a developer should be able to deal with a hidden option.
And/Or with reading the directions.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:04 PM   #404
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@knc1: True, but the behavior isn't specific to this switch, it's just how the installer behaves to try to preserve non-default config files. This was just the perfect example to explain this again, and introduce some stuff to help managing custom configs (hence the KUAL button) .
Old 08-17-2013, 11:33 PM   #405
nasser
Evangelist
nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many..
Quote:

Great work..

How do i upgrade from v0.9.N..?

uninstall, re-install..?
nasser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5.1.0, 5.2.0, jailbreak, kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, touch