Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-22-2009, 11:11 AM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Neolux demonstrates epaper con badges

There's a really cool clip on Youtube:

Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:05 PM   #2
Kosst Amojan
Addict
Kosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Probably the most expensive badge ever.

How about making something...i don't know, useful?
Kosst Amojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:57 PM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I could see some big usefulness in that, actually.

You could display a fair amount of information, including bar-codes for scanning into various systems, and obviously, they'd be ... involved to counterfeit.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 04:48 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I just attended the customer conference that my employer puts on. The staff wore these LED name badges like these:

http://www.budgetlighting.com/store/...-name-tag.html

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:52 PM   #5
Kosst Amojan
Addict
Kosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I just attended the customer conference that my employer puts on. The staff wore these LED name badges like these:

http://www.budgetlighting.com/store/...-name-tag.html

BOb
Yeah, but how much do those cost, a few dollars???

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
I could see some big usefulness in that, actually.

You could display a fair amount of information, including bar-codes for scanning into various systems, and obviously, they'd be ... involved to counterfeit.
So are RFID tags, and they're a hundred times cheaper.

Look, I'm not saying small eink screens wouldn't have their uses...just not as badges and not even for the near future.
Kosst Amojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 02:01 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosst Amojan View Post

Look, I'm not saying small eink screens wouldn't have their uses...just not as badges and not even for the near future.
It doesn't have to be e-Ink to be epaper. Look at Paper Display.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 02:35 AM   #7
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
This was one of the MAJOR uses touted for eink type displays when they were announced and as they have evolved...even to the point of billboard (road side advertising signs for those outside the US who might know know what a billboard is...hey some folks might not!! ) side.

The idea is for things such as store shelf price tags which are connected via networks and the prices or info can be changed instantly and on the fly...all with far less overhead than a simple printed tag. I have a suspicion one reason we have not found them in wide use yet is the lack of that pure white background...in a store/retail environment that will be a major roadblock as you must account for all customers, especially older ones who need more contrast.

For me this is why I have not understood the foot dragging on licensing production of eink style displays in order to boost production. Such uses should be everywhere in less than 5-yrs, I mean they have already had a solid 3-5yrs now...computing devices (and yes I lump ereading devices in there too) are for now, a very, very small portion of the potential market...

Love that these badges are showing up...
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:19 AM   #8
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
You guys also forget that some conventions, namely tech ones, LOVE gimmicky badges like this. Several hacking conventions I know of have contests where they have a badge with technology in it, and who ever reverse engineers and changes what the badge does the best wins.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 03:31 AM   #9
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosst Amojan View Post
Probably the most expensive badge ever.

How about making something...i don't know, useful?
Still better than the eink watch, with all the shocks and bumps a clock gets

The example I found.
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 03:33 AM   #10
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
The idea is for things such as store shelf price tags which are connected via networks and the prices or info can be changed instantly and on the fly...all with far less overhead than a simple printed tag. I have a suspicion one reason we have not found them in wide use yet is the lack of that pure white background...in a store/retail environment that will be a major roadblock as you must account for all customers, especially older ones who need more contrast.
Monoprix in France uses LCD displays- a little step forward from the plain paper tag, but they need, of course, to be powered by some battery!
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 12:55 AM   #11
eBookLuke
Writer2ePub creator
eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.

Device: Cybook Bebook iLiad Kindle HanlinV2 Readius SonyPRS500 SonyPRS700 etc
The e-ink technology is basically inexpensive. The high cost of the readers' displays is due to the active matrix substrate and mainly to the low diffusion of these devices.

A label or badge based on e-ink is no more expensive than an equivalent lcd display.
eBookLuke is offline   Reply With Quote