Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-03-2009, 07:22 AM   #16
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
1) Gloriana - Michael Moorcock

2) The Dying Earth - Jack Vance

3) The Gormenghast Trilogy - Mervyn S. Peake

Old standbys, old friends.

Don
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 11:55 AM   #17
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post

3) The Gormenghast Trilogy - Mervyn S. Peake

Don
If only this thing was in ebook - it's HUGE! My paperback copy weighs more than my cat!

poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2009, 12:43 PM   #18
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
Would Guy Gavriel Kay's The Fionavar Tapestry count?
It is stand-alone at least. Some suggestions like Earthsea and Dying Earth I do not think is high or epic fantasy at all.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 02:33 PM   #19
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Fionavar has that "real world kids get transported into a magical world" element which I usually dislike. I guess I'm looking for something more like Eragon. (Or rather, the books Eragon copies from.) But thanks to all for the suggestions so far. I'm also considering Lyndon Hardy's Magics series.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 03:01 PM   #20
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
In honor of the passing of David Eddings it seems like The Belgariad series should be where I begin...
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2009, 03:04 PM   #21
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
Hah, Master of the Five Magics! I had to look Lyndon Hardy up because the name was familiar. Think I remember that being excellent.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 06:30 PM   #22
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Sean Russell The Swan's War trilogy. Available for the Kindle.
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 07:18 PM   #23
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
I want to second Patricia McKillip's Riddlemaster books: Riddlemaster of Hed, Heir of Sea and Fire, and Harpist in the Wind. I've read these several times and they never get old. Three volumes, but not long drawn out things like Thomas Covenant or other 'epics'.

Also second Lois McMaster Bujold's Chalion series: The Curse of Chalion, Paladin of Souls, and The Hallowed Hunt. Lois is a great writer, one of the best (arguably THE best living SF/Fantasy author still writing).
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 07:40 PM   #24
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
It is stand-alone at least. Some suggestions like Earthsea and Dying Earth I do not think is high or epic fantasy at all.
I agree with you on that; I wasn't reading the title of his thread carefully enough.

I do, then, recommend this series by Jack Vance:

* Lyonesse Trilogy

Epic, grand, and with delicious language. It's not, however, for lazy readers who want to be tickled and cuddled to death. (One should find something large or already deceased for that task!)

Don
Old 06-03-2009, 08:05 PM   #25
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I do, then, recommend this series by Jack Vance:

* Lyonesse Trilogy

Epic, grand, and with delicious language. It's not, however, for lazy readers who want to be tickled and cuddled to death. (One should find something large or already deceased for that task!)
I really like that one. Jack Vance is a favorite author and I have the VIE at home and is planning to reread everything in this version.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:59 PM   #26
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
In honor of the passing of David Eddings it seems like The Belgariad series should be where I begin...
It seems like a good choice.

Eddings copped a little bit of flack for plagiarising himself after the follow-on series, The Malloreon. Regardless of any validity there might be in the criticism, I remember thoroughly enjoying The Belgariad. I hope you do too.

(An aside: I too was a little put off at first by the "real world kids get transported into a magical world" element of Fionavar, but memory serves me with the opinion that I quickly got past that and into a story I enjoyed. Of course, with all the options suggested by others that you might prefer, I wouldn't give too much value to this opinion o' mine. )

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 11:04 PM   #27
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
I really like that one. Jack Vance is a favorite author and I have the VIE at home and is planning to reread everything in this version.
(highlighting is mine)

"VIE"? Sorry, I'm not familiar with this. Can you expand?

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 11:22 PM   #28
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
Funny how your brain works, the combo of you mentioning Lyndon Hardy plus Eddings death made me think of other book series I enjoyed back around the same time and I thought of one I don't think I've ever seen mentioned. And it was really good too. By Susan Dexter and it was made up of The Ring of Allaire, The Mountains of Channadran and The Sword of Calandra. Now those were excellent but I'm sure not ebook'd. But I did notice a standalone novel she did that sounds similar to what you wanted, the name is Moonlight and I see it at Fictionwise.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 07:04 AM   #29
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I wish I could have afforded the VIE when it came out. Lucky you!!

Don
Old 06-04-2009, 07:07 AM   #30
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
(highlighting is mine)

"VIE"? Sorry, I'm not familiar with this. Can you expand?

Cheers,
Marc

This is the "Jack Vance Integral Edition" (VIE). This is comprised of Vance's work with textual accuracy the way he wanted it, and with his full cooperation. This was assembled by volunteers who love Jack Vance and his work, and for what he stands for in his writings, in addition to his contribution to creative Literature.

Here's a link for some information:

http://www.vanceintegral.com/

Don