Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-20-2013, 09:36 PM   #1
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Lightbulb osdsh - an OSD thingy...

Those of you with memories like elephants MAY remember me trying to port xosd onto the kindle...

well, I got a little bit closer. with http://osdsh.sourceforge.net/

[root@kindle bin]# cd /mnt/us/export/osdshconfig/bin; TK_LIBRARY=/mnt/us/extensions/system/etc/tcltk/tk8.4 \
TCL_LIBRARY=/mnt/us/extensions/system/etc/tcltk/tcl8.4 \
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/mnt/us/extensions/system/lib/armv7l\
:../lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH \
./osdshconfig

(picture one)

the astute among you may notice that I am invoking wish here via the kual-system. neat huh. also note that this actually pop's up "on top" without any hacking thanks to the "title" being patched in the file itself.

I also got the system iteslf to actually invoke... run... and print out some stuff

[root@kindle bin]# cd /mnt/us/export/osdsh/bin; TK_LIBRARY=/mnt/us/extensions/system/etc/tcltk/tk8.4 TCL_LIBRARY=/mnt/us/extensions/system/etc/tcltk/tcl8.4 LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/mnt/us/extensions/system/lib/armv7l\
:../lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH \
./osdsh -c white -d 10 -o 2 -p 0 -a 1 -n 10

Code:
osdsh 0.7.0
usage: osdsh [options]

-h         display usage
  -m mixer   set mixer         /dev/mixer
  -f font    set font          -*-lucidatypewriter-bold-*-*-*-*-240-*-*-*-*-*-* 
  -c color   set color         green 
  -d int     set OSD delay     5 
  -o int     set Shadow Offset 0 
  -p <0|1>   position of the osd, 0 for top,
             1 for bottom. Default 0 (top).
  -a <0|1|2> align of the osd. left,center or right.
  -n number  set the nice number so osdsh won't eat your cpu

I'm still having a little trouble convincing it to find it's modules but hey. It's a WIP.

Quote:
/usr/lib/osdsh/libosdshmixer.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
/usr/lib/osdsh/libosdshclock.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
/usr/lib/osdsh/libosdshnet.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
/usr/lib/osdsh/libosdshapm.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
I'll work on that...
http://osdsh.cvs.sourceforge.net/vie....1&view=markup

perhaps I will rebuild it myself RSN. have to see. might just hack it.

[root@kindle bin]# cd /mnt/us/export/osdctl/bin; TK_LIBRARY=/mnt/us/extensions/system/etc/tcltk/tk8.4 \ TCL_LIBRARY=/mnt/us/extensions/system/etc/tcltk/tcl8.4 \ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=../lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH ./osdctl --help
Code:
osdctl 0.7.0
osdctl <command argument> ...

-h                display help
  -s "string"       display a string
  -b name,val       display a bar up to val, named "name"
  -l name,val       display a slider at val, named "name"
  -t int            display the clock for int seconds
  -c <0|1>          (de)activate the osd clock
  -m <0|1>          (de)activate the mixer display
  -p <0|1>          (de)activate the ppp watch feature
  -a <0|1|2>        (de)activate the apm watch feature
  			 1=don't show percent bar; 2=do show it
  -d interface      set the ppp interface, default: ppp0
  -A int            show battery status for int seconds
  -e "comm args"    tell osdsh to do "comm" with "args"
  -S "scriptfile"   execute commands form scriptfile
  -x                tell osdsh to quit

It all still needs repackaging, fixing and making useful...

but I wanted to note the commands somewhere permanent since I was sick of remembering them all.

Cheers. Update when I have something useful.

NOTE: As usual I know nothing about wish, nor any of the other technologies : ) Just to keep things interesting
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_199.png
Views:	383
Size:	5.1 KB
ID:	103236  

Last edited by twobob; 03-20-2013 at 10:31 PM.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:27 PM   #2
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

more notes:

[root@kindle armv7l]# mntroot rw
[root@kindle armv7l]# mkdir /bindlib
[root@kindle armv7l]# mntroot ro

[root@kindle armv7l]# sed -i 's_/usr/lib/osdsh_/bindlib/osdsh_' ./osdsh

[root@kindle armv7l]# mount --bind /mnt/us/extensions/system/lib/`uname -m` /bindlib
[root@kindle armv7l]# ls /bindlib
libtcl8.4.so.0 libtk8.4.so.0 libxosd.so.2 osdsh

[root@kindle bin]# cd /mnt/us/extensions/system/bin/`uname -m`
[root@kindle bin]# LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/bindlib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH \
./osdsh -c black -d 10 -o 2 -p 0 -a 1

Last edited by twobob; 03-20-2013 at 11:30 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:44 PM   #3
brianinmaine
Evangelist
brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Touch (5.3.7)
so this is a fancy ;711 thing? What do you envision for the future of this?
brianinmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:56 PM   #4
twobob

well.. TBH... I am using it as a proof of concept at this point.

I got wish working now via kual-system - helpful.

I got tcl/tk working now via kual-system (that alone is pretty sexy)

It has a built in clock (yep a nice digital readout) and a few other helpful widgets... If I never get it going I will be happy just with throwing things at kual-system and making that ACTUALLY useful to devs by the time it hits the end-user. ("read" future kindle developers)

after burning a day on failing to get MAME to run sensibly - and another few hours wasted on messing around with the rtc stuff I just figured I would do SOMETHING that I wanted to do for a while.

I would dearly love to have nice popup on-screen messages that don't require the horror that is EIPS to enact.

and along that way if I end up making kual-system do a few more bits and bits OOTB then so much better : )

here is more silliness for when external keyboards become a reality:

[root@kindle armv7l]# TK_LIBRARY=/mnt/us/extensions/system/etc/tcltk/tk8.4 \ TCL_LIBRARY=/mnt/us/extensions/system/etc/tcltk/tcl8.4 \ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/mnt/us/extensions/system/lib/`uname -m`\
:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
./keymapconfig

I'm just playing around really.. trying to bring more tools to the table.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Selection_200.png
Views:	279
Size:	4.4 KB
ID:	103237  
Old 03-21-2013, 12:04 AM   #5
twobob

like this:

root@kindle:/# osdsh -c white -d 10 -o 2 -p 0 -a 1
(now it's a running in the background)
root@kindle:/# osdctl -s "YEAH BABY"
root@kindle:/# osdctl -l EXAMPLE_SLIDER,50
root@kindle:/# osdctl -b EXAMPLE_BAR,80
root@kindle:/# osdctl -c1 *(clock on / off) 1 / 0

The clock needs some work... and currently I am struggling to get it to work natively... but you can see the basics.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Selection_201.png
Views:	264
Size:	6.9 KB
ID:	103238   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_205.png
Views:	268
Size:	4.2 KB
ID:	103242   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_206.png
Views:	298
Size:	4.2 KB
ID:	103243   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_202.png
Views:	262
Size:	4.4 KB
ID:	103244  

Last edited by twobob; 03-21-2013 at 12:09 AM. Reason: clock commands
Old 03-21-2013, 12:23 AM   #6
brianinmaine
Evangelist
brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So you could easily put a gui configuration screen on some script with this idea. Looks kind of nice.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:29 AM   #7
twobob

yeah.

Ultimately I was hoping for little popup "bubbles" with messages in. Ideally that would work on all devices. I'm just hunting around for ideas really I guess.

perhaps I could do something with the native supported stuff more readily.
(like chrox does so well)
But, hey, I just wanted to have a play.

and since it has been like FOREVER since anyone posted any projects that had any "fresh interest" for me... I figured I would just post what I was playing with today.

Where are all the developers?

Gone mainly. sad sad times.

Last edited by twobob; 03-21-2013 at 12:32 AM.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:42 AM   #8
brianinmaine
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
yeah.

and since it has been like FOREVER since anyone posted any projects that had any "fresh interest" for me...

Back to the MAME thing in a different way -
Open source firmware for some mp3 players:
http://www.rockbox.org/
A cool plugin for that firmware:
http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/PluginPacbox
source of that plugin (C++):
http://www.ascotti.org/programming/pie/pie.htm

The problem comes from the fact that you would need to already own the ROMS...

My mp3 player is a Sansa e250 with an ARM inside, and there are some other neat little plugins:
http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/PluginIndex
Old 03-21-2013, 12:55 AM   #9
twobob

hmmm. yeah. that does look pretty interesting - I checked it out last time.

didn't notice the pacman thingy.

I could look at getting pacman and space invaders across I guess at some point.

Like I have said a hundred time before though.

We need a generic shell program that a) wraps a program inside it and brings it to the front (the kterm does this actually with the keyboard)
b) somehow dithers its contents automatically. (Geekmaster could probably rustle something up to that end)

quite frankly a REAL developer could probably manage that in under a day.
possibly in under a few hours.
A really good one who already had the knowledge of the kindle could probably do it in even less.

Sadly I am none of those things. I am a musician who has taken a year out to learn some new skills.

Still... I will have a play and see what drops out at some point.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:50 AM   #10
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianinmaine View Post
Back to the MAME thing in a different way -
Open source firmware for some mp3 players:
http://www.rockbox.org/
A cool plugin for that firmware:
http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/PluginPacbox
source of that plugin (C++):
http://www.ascotti.org/programming/pie/pie.htm

The problem comes from the fact that you would need to already own the ROMS...

My mp3 player is a Sansa e250 with an ARM inside, and there are some other neat little plugins:
http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/PluginIndex
Hmmm...

njam is probably the better option...

Xephyr :1 -title "L:A_N:application_ID:xephyr_O:R_PC:N" -screen 800x600 -cc 4 -dpi 155 &

DISPLAY=:1 /usr/games/njam

pictured

With level editor...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Selection_207.png
Views:	284
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	103246   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_208.png
Views:	288
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	103247   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_209.png
Views:	270
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	103248   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_210.png
Views:	250
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	103249   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_211.png
Views:	260
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	103250   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_212.png
Views:	256
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	103251   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_213.png
Views:	290
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	103252   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_214.png
Views:	311
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	103253  
Old 03-21-2013, 02:03 AM   #11
brianinmaine
Evangelist

well done! I can see hours and hours of wasted time ahead..
Old 03-21-2013, 09:51 AM   #12
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianinmaine View Post
well done! I can see hours and hours of wasted time ahead..
not until the dithyr project is a reality.

now THAT would really bring a SHITLOAD of things to the party...
Old 03-23-2013, 10:03 PM   #13
twobob

the author of this application was kind enough to email me about my efforts.

perhaps this will give me more impetus to "Get this one done"
Old 10-04-2013, 12:03 AM   #14
brianinmaine
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
I got tcl/tk working now via kual-system (that alone is pretty sexy)
Do you, twobob, still have this package around? Maybe someone else? There are some pretty interesting little games and stuff written for this that would be nice. I'll try to get something if you can't find anything.
Old 10-04-2013, 03:58 AM   #15
twobob

hmmm... baf uses it inside his eboard chess IIRC.

could rip it from there.

Tags
kindle 5, osd, osdsh