Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-20-2012, 03:05 PM   #16
derangedhermit
Addict
derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You make it sound so easy . Have you ever heard of anyone successfully doing this? I haven't.
It would be straightforward if you've done that kind of thing before. I once did something similar for a living.

The e-ink display driver hardware is available in two forms: either a separate controller chip, or integrated onto a SoC - the version of the latter I found in a few minutes is an ARM core + an EPD driver. And you need a slightly different board layout (from the LCD version) to support a different electrical interface to the display itself.

On the software side, you run into the same issue to support new video (or printer) hardware - you have to take the graphics engine (page / screen layout) output and get it onto the physical display or page. Since there are a number of smaller players already making these e-readers, either it is inexpensive (therefore easy) to do, or they are buying generic hardware and software designs, probably from Chinese manufacturers, and putting their brand on it, with maybe their own reader software sitting on top. The manufacturers of the display controller can provide reference driver implementations, and/or tell you who has already done it and will help you, if you want such.

There are physical packaging changes, of course, if the panel is of different dimensions.

Simple? No, there are a lot of details to take care of. Easy? Most of it, yes, if you are "skilled in the art". There are usually some tricky bits in the software to get the best results; all in a day's work.
derangedhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:43 AM   #17
KevinShort
Addict
KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo
An open e-reader would be great, I'd definitely be interested in supporting it.
KevinShort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:09 AM   #18
Ababakar
Ababakar began at the beginning.

Device: none
As for Tablets:

Take a look at the vivaldi - KDE and Plasma Active project + they also have a hardware producer in the boat.
Thats the one i am already registered to buy when it comes out.
Ababakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:50 AM   #19
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
Sounds like a good Kickstarter-project.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:50 AM   #20
shenye
Zealot
shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
The OpenInkpot project once aimed at providing an alternative, open-source OS for existing eReader devices. AFAIK the project is currently not being actively developed.
shenye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:19 AM   #21
KevinShort
Addict
KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo
The Pebble e-paper watch, with a resolution of 144x168, is selling for $150.
So there's no doubt that an open ereader, even with an "outdated" resolution
of 600x800, would be quite expensive. But I think that it would be worth the
extra cost.
KevinShort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:37 AM   #22
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenye View Post
The OpenInkpot project once aimed at providing an alternative, open-source OS for existing eReader devices. AFAIK the project is currently not being actively developed.
Yeah, looks like it. Pity; on supported hardware (I have a BeBook One, aka Hanlin V3) it worked very well. It's that I wanted a bigger screen, or I would still be using it.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:33 AM   #23
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
This is part of the reason I don't buy Amazon. In-your-face proprietialness. I use Sonys because I turn all that crap off and use it how I want. I can root it too if I want. I think it's possible with the Nook too. The Kobo less so, though I might be wrong.

The bottom line is, I support the least-predatorial-in-practice of the big digital-display corporations.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:58 PM   #24
derangedhermit
Addict
derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
This is part of the reason I don't buy Amazon. In-your-face proprietialness. [...] The bottom line is, I support the least-predatorial-in-practice of the big digital-display corporations.
+1, except for "proprietialness"
derangedhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:05 PM   #25
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by derangedhermit View Post
+1, except for "proprietialness"
Oh, yeah. Proprietariness, then.

There is no such thing as an open ereader, but some are a lot more open than others
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:50 PM   #26
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
I think the biggest problem for a Kickstarter of that kind, would be the design process.

For some reason, all open source hardware things end up being *incredibly* ugly and bulky.
That may have to do with the job status of the good hardware designers Plus, open designs are usually aspiring for a modularity of some sort, which makes them incompatible with aggressive design choices.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:18 AM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Oh, yeah. Proprietariness, then.

There is no such thing as an open ereader, but some are a lot more open than others
They're all "open" in the sense that you can buy books from (pretty much) anywhere and read them on the device. Perhaps with format conversion involved, but that's trivial. Eg, I mainly read on my Kindle, but I have a fair few books on there that I originally bought as ePubs.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:52 AM   #28
AnneT
Groupie
AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox i62HD, Onyx Boox T68, Kobo Aura H2O, Boox Poke Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepijndevos View Post
Like Arduino, app.net, Linux.

A hackable device with an open ecosystem, API, hardware, everything.

One that you can open with a screwdriver, thats runs your own apps, fonts and screensavers without jailbreaking.

One that is focused on users and developers, rather than publishers and advertisers.
Pepijn,
Have you taken a look at the Boox (Onyx) devices?
As you see in this thread, the large M92 can be opened with a screwdriver, it runs on Linux, has an open ecosystem.
I don't know about the openness of the hardware, but I would suggest you to contact Booxtor, member of this forum, who is a distributor of Boox-devices in Germany, and who is very active in developing the software.
I know it is possible to install your own fonts and screensavers, and I know about Onyx-users who have developped a email-client for their device.
AnneT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:27 AM   #29
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
The Pocketbook Touch http://www.pocketbook-int.com/us/pro...cketbook-touch might be an alternative.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:07 PM   #30
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Great news: there is now! Enter the Bebook touch.

Quote:
The Bebook Touch is running on Google Android 2.3 and offers the ability to load in Android files right out of the box. Not many companies offer the Android operating system, with Sony and Barnes and Noble being the only two notable companies to do it. Both of their competitors do not allow the sideloading of apps, unless you root it. It is strange that Bebook totally does not advertise this feature, as it makes the e-readers super competitive.

Last edited by xendula; 11-30-2012 at 12:11 PM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote