Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-12-2012, 07:42 PM   #31
snouta
snouta began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Hey, I am having this issue as well and am also located in Australia.

I'm wondering if its possible this update issue is a cause of going from a much earlier firmware version. I believe I was at 1.9.14 before I tried to update mine to 2.0 and when I did a factory reset it took it back to 1.9.11.

When I manage to get my Touch to go into factory reset again I'll try updating to 1.9.17 then to 2.0 and see if this fixes the issue.
snouta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:43 PM   #32
david8866
Zealot
david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I bought 2 Kobo Touch yesterday. I am afraid to open them, if this firmware issue is unwisely handled. Kobo, you should roll the firmware out as beta for tester.
david8866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:53 PM   #33
RickyB
Enthusiast
RickyB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RickyB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RickyB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snouta View Post
I'm wondering if its possible this update issue is a cause of going from a much earlier firmware version.
I was at 1.9.17 before the update, and have the problem.
RickyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:55 PM   #34
snouta
snouta began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyB View Post
I was at 1.9.17 before the update, and have the problem.
Well there goes that farfetched theory.
snouta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:59 PM   #35
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
To all the Aussies having problems - come over the ditch. We have 3 KT's here and the update worked perfectly (except for the bugs discussed in the other thread, but that's another story).

Maybe you could start a reversal of the kiwi flood - in the last year nearly 40,000 kiwis headed your way. Not sure if that's a good thing for you, or perhaps a good thing for us....

Sorry I don't have any more practical advice.

Last edited by kiwipippa; 07-12-2012 at 09:06 PM.
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:57 AM   #36
Donald S
Just learning, but fast!
Donald S knows the complete value of PI to the endDonald S knows the complete value of PI to the endDonald S knows the complete value of PI to the endDonald S knows the complete value of PI to the endDonald S knows the complete value of PI to the endDonald S knows the complete value of PI to the endDonald S knows the complete value of PI to the endDonald S knows the complete value of PI to the endDonald S knows the complete value of PI to the endDonald S knows the complete value of PI to the endDonald S knows the complete value of PI to the end

I don't have the dancing squares problem (yet), but I'm experiencing other glitchy behaviours with Kobo firmware 2.0, such as:
1. Reader randomly returning to the Home screen during a read.
2. Reader goes into sleep mode, but without cover picture or notice at top of screen, then every few minutes attempts to sleep again.
3. Reader goes into timed shutdown, but again without cover picture or notice.
4. Reader freezes while attempting to change settings.
5. Artifacts left on screen after highlighting or making annotations, even after the screen does a full refresh.

Etc., etc...

I think the Kobo organization needs a whole bunch more Beta testers. At least then you know what you're getting in to. Ah well, patience, patience...

Last edited by Donald S; 07-13-2012 at 03:03 AM.
Donald S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:20 AM   #37
avataroftime began at the beginning.

I am also from Australia and I am having the issue after updating from 1.9.17.

After about 12 hrs of waiting, I factory reset the device and then factory reset it again from within the device and tried the update again. I gave up again after 9 hrs.

I have reinstalled 1.9.17 and hope that Kobo come up with a proper fix for this.
avataroftime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:32 AM   #38
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Ouch, so I guess I was seriously lucky not to have any problems with all this.

Time to buy a lottery ticket, d'ya reckon? ;-)
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:16 AM   #39
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Does the LED light RED when the request for a Factory Reset has been accepted?
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:21 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
Does the LED light RED when the request for a Factory Reset has been accepted?

Mine did, then it starts flashing really quickly. It took me a couple of goes to get it right though.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:24 AM   #41
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What was your technique for causing the factory reset?
Old 07-13-2012, 03:30 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
What was your technique for causing the factory reset?
Hold the top slider over to the right until the dancing boxes stop.
Then slide it across again like I am powering it up - and immediately press (or hold - cannot remember which worked) the home button.

The light on top should flash red.

After a couple of seconds the light should start flashing rapidly.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:35 AM   #43
murg
No Comment

Thanks. I've tried that, and it didn't work. Just kept getting a 2 second blue followed by a green blink.

But... I turned the Touch off by holding the power switch until dancing squares stopped (approx 5 seconds). Then did the paperclip thing (for about a second). Then held the Home button while flicking the power switch. Got 2 RED blinks and then a Green, then dancing squares (for 5 minutes now).
Old 07-13-2012, 03:37 AM   #44
murg
No Comment

Yeah!
  1. Power off
  2. paperclip
  3. hold home while quickly sliding and releasing the power switch
  4. KEEP THE HOME button depressed.
  5. 2 RED Blinks, then a rapidly flashing white. And the screen went to 'Restoring'.
  6. then release the Home button
Old 07-13-2012, 03:42 AM   #45
murg
No Comment

And after a minute or two, a Read On screen.

Which was frozen, as in accepting no taps or home button.

Slide power switch quickly (putting into sleep mode).

Powered up, Dancing Squares for a short time, then Set Language.

And I'm back to v1.9.11!