Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 01-28-2011, 11:18 AM   #1
thenzero
Edge User

verizon droid usb tether

Ok, I've read all about why ad-hoc tethering doesn't work, why bluetooth tethering doesn't work, but what about usb tethering? Has anyone been successful with usb tether on a verizon droid/other android phone? I would really REALLY like to be able to tether

Old 01-28-2011, 12:26 PM   #2
cheyennedonna
Edge User

USB tethering generally needs drivers. But all newer phones or phones that have updated to 2.2 have the ability to become a WiFi hotspot - which does work with the edge.

Old 01-28-2011, 01:13 PM   #3
thenzero
Edge User

USB tethering generally needs drivers

According to the help, Verizon USB 3G modems work with the Edge. Most verizon phones can operate in a USB modem mode for tethering, hence the question.

all newer phones or phones that have updated to 2.2 have the ability to become a WiFi hotspot - which does work with the edge

This is the ad-hoc tethering referred to in the original post- which has been thoroughly documented on these forums and elsewhere not to work with the Edge. Am I missing something?

Old 01-28-2011, 01:15 PM   #4
thenzero
Edge User

I should also add that I have WiFi tethering enabled on my rooted Droid running Froyo, which I can connect to fine on my other devices, but which the Edge doesn't even see in a scan.

Old 01-28-2011, 01:37 PM   #5
fgruber
Edge User

She is referring to Android phones that can generate an Infrastructure WiFI hotspot (not adhoc).This behave no different from standard wifi routers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenzero View Post
USB tethering generally needs drivers

According to the help, Verizon USB 3G modems work with the Edge. Most verizon phones can operate in a USB modem mode for tethering, hence the question.

all newer phones or phones that have updated to 2.2 have the ability to become a WiFi hotspot - which does work with the edge

This is the ad-hoc tethering referred to in the original post- which has been thoroughly documented on these forums and elsewhere not to work with the Edge. Am I missing something?

Old 01-28-2011, 02:37 PM   #6
thenzero
Edge User

She is referring to Android phones that can generate an Infrastructure WiFI hotspot (not adhoc).This behave no different from standard wifi routers.

As I said, I have a phone running Froyo ("phones that have updated to 2.2"), it does not do infrastructure mode.

Old 01-28-2011, 04:23 PM   #7
cheyennedonna
Edge User

I don't have access to the phone you have, but after you enable your WiFi tethering (referred to on my TMobile device as a WiFi Hotspot) you should have the ability to set an SSID, choose security options and create a password. If the edge is not finding your SSID try adding it manually. I have no trouble connecting to my MyTouch 4G with the WiFi feature turned on.
Unless this a feature Verizon has blocked or charges for it should work.
I also found this info http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=888991
http://www.kimete.com/3gtutorial.html

Last edited by cheyennedonna; 01-28-2011 at 04:28 PM.

Old 01-28-2011, 04:37 PM   #8
thenzero
Edge User

I'm pretty sure the Motorola Droid hardware doesn't support infrastructure mode, and I know the version of android-tether I'm using doesn't support it. In fairness though, I have not updated android-tether since version 2.0.5, meaning I'm one behind. I will try updating to the latest version and report back with what happens. In the meantime, my original question was whether or not anyone had successfully achieved USB tethering, and I'm still interested to know if that's the case.

Old 01-28-2011, 04:41 PM   #9
thenzero
Edge User

It was up to date. I guess I updated it recently and forgot about it. Anyway, no joy.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:21 PM   #10
cheyennedonna
Edge User

I tried and the edge does not recognize my MyTouch so no USB tethering for me at least. But I did find an apk for you that supposedly enables WiFi Infrastructure on rooted devices. http://code.google.com/p/android-wif...downloads/list
and another here http://szym.net/barnacle/

Last edited by cheyennedonna; 01-28-2011 at 06:25 PM.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:27 PM   #11
thenzero
Edge User

That's the app I mentioned that I'm using...it only does ad hoc. I appreciate the effort though.

Old 01-29-2011, 10:42 AM   #12
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Those links I posted in #7 explain how to achieve an infrastructure connection on a rooted Droid.

Old 01-29-2011, 10:44 AM   #13
thenzero
Edge User

Unfortunately those links were only for the droid x and droid 2.

Old 02-27-2011, 03:40 PM   #14
dave.cox
Edge User

Hi,
Im having the same issue. no way to tether to my Droid. I can't do adhoc, or infrastructure mode, and I can't seem to get Usb mode to work on the edge device.

Dave

Old 05-14-2011, 01:18 PM   #15
smath
Edge User

Still needs resolution for AD-HOC users NOT new mobile phone users

It appears that entourage is abandoning it's customers for carrier pressure to not provide a way for us to tether our phones like we do on every other digital device. The infrastructure is there proof of concept is there in a youtube video a complex method can be used to help the crippled device establish connection to an ad-hoc network. I have found no proof of bluetooth tetheris permitted by entourage/USB- andoid network drivers for my phone (CDMA Hero) is not available, and have yet to find someone who has created a solution.

Wireless tether on a NON infrastructure phone (most of models over a year old) requires root access, adb shell to the phone, once youve setup the ad-hoc ssid (open network) it won't see it, but it must be in there.
these instructions are courtesy of rhce_v3:
wconfig mlan0 mode ad-hoc
iwconfig mlan0 essid <your essid>