Notices

Old 01-26-2011, 10:08 AM   #1
Zell
Kindle User
Zell began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Going to buy a Non-Lighted Amazon cover for my K3

I found one at Best Buy.

I know, I know, it's got a reputation for wrecking havoc on the K3. But I'm going to run the risk and get one anyway. Why? Because I can't seem to find a real leather cover for my K3 that I LIKE. I've looked high and low on the internet. There are real leather covers with fancy designs on them, there are leather covers that stand up on a table-top, there are leather covers that don't fit the K3 very well (Cole Hann cover), there are leather covers with straps and zippers, and there are "leather" covers (as advertised) that look great but in reality they're FAUX leather as spelled-out in the fine print. I want REAL leather on my cover. And Amazon's non-lighted cover fits the bill for me because it is real leather and it's a very simple design that appeals to me. I don't want the Lighted version because I hear it's bulkier and heavier and the light on it doesn't fully cover the K3's screen (I'm assuming that's correct?). I am going to try the plastic baggie-on-the-hooks idea and see it that works. I'll let you know how it goes.

I'm sure I'm being way too fastidious about this but leather is the way to go while reading a Kindle.
Zell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:20 AM   #2
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
For what it's worth, I've had the unlighted cover for about a month, and no problems with my Kindle yet. I don't know if I'm just lucky or if they've made some kind of design change with the newer ones.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:12 AM   #3
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
I've had my Kindle plus unlighted Amazon cover since August/September, and no problems with spontaneous rebooting. From all the bits I've read about the problem, I suspect it only happens if the non-conductive coating on the hinge inserts gets rubbed off for any reason - I can think of three possibilities :

1. It's that way when it arrives.

2. The Kindle isn't seated properly on the attachments, allowing some movement (I realised after a couple of weeks that that's why there was some movement with my Kindle inside the cover - removed it and reattached it properly to the cover, and now no movement at all).

3. Frequently taking the cover off and then putting it on again.

Can't be certain, of course, but the problem with spontaneous rebooting does appear to be related to the hinge inserts becoming partially uncoated (and possibly conducting static electricity from the cover to the inside of the Kindle).
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:36 AM   #4
kaibob
Connoisseur
kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Paperwhite 3
I also have the unlighted Amazon Kindle case with no issues, although I've only had it for about three weeks. Now that this case has been withdrawn from amazon.com, I wonder how long before they introduce a new unlighted model. I really like the existing case, so hopefully they won't change it too much.
kaibob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:48 AM   #5
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
Zell - I will be very interested in how this goes. I HAD a non-lighted Amazon cover and I was one of those individuals who experienced the re-booting as a result of the cover. Here's the rub: the Amazon cover was simply the best cover for my Kindle. It fit perfectly, the band kept it closed in my bad and although the leather isn't butta soft, it served my purposes quite well.

I sent my cover back for a full refund and I simply HAVE NOT FOUND a better cover out there. I am trying to wait to see if Amazon comes out with an annoucement that says the covers are good now, but in lieu of that I may end of ordering the same cover again - I echo ALL the comments you made regarding the the various cover options and like you, none of them appeal to me.
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:06 PM   #6
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
have you checked out the ALL ABOUT COVERS thread up above? recently we were introduced to the Gecko which is leather, quite handsome and reasonably priced
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:10 PM   #7
m0ngr31
Connoisseur
m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
I found one at Best Buy.

I know, I know, it's got a reputation for wrecking havoc on the K3. But I'm going to run the risk and get one anyway. Why? Because I can't seem to find a real leather cover for my K3 that I LIKE. I've looked high and low on the internet. There are real leather covers with fancy designs on them, there are leather covers that stand up on a table-top, there are leather covers that don't fit the K3 very well (Cole Hann cover), there are leather covers with straps and zippers, and there are "leather" covers (as advertised) that look great but in reality they're FAUX leather as spelled-out in the fine print. I want REAL leather on my cover. And Amazon's non-lighted cover fits the bill for me because it is real leather and it's a very simple design that appeals to me. I don't want the Lighted version because I hear it's bulkier and heavier and the light on it doesn't fully cover the K3's screen (I'm assuming that's correct?). I am going to try the plastic baggie-on-the-hooks idea and see it that works. I'll let you know how it goes.

I'm sure I'm being way too fastidious about this but leather is the way to go while reading a Kindle.
I'll sell you mine for cheaper than Best Buy.
m0ngr31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 06:15 PM   #8
Spoudason
Spoudason began at the beginning.

I have had one since early September with no problems.
Spoudason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 06:25 PM   #9
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Noreve makes beautiful real leather covers. They hold the Kindle using a rail system without the hinge or ugly straps. I recently posted a review with pics in the Covers thread.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:19 AM   #10
silasgreenback
New Leaf Turner
silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
But I'm going to run the risk and get one anyway. Why? Because I can't seem to find a real leather cover for my K3 that I LIKE.
Your thoughts and experience on the matter are exactly the same as mine. I looked and looked and saw so many cases that just didn't pass muster for the same price as the Amazon cover. I'd heard the warnings about the unlighted Amazon cover, but decided to risk it anyway because I liked it that much.

So far, I have no regrets at all. I haven't done anything with the hooks and even if it does become a problem, I'll just try the different remedies I've read about. If Amazon does get the issue straightened out, I'd highly recommend getting one...I'm sure you'll be happy with it.
silasgreenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:56 PM   #11
Zell
Kindle User

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitearrow View Post
Noreve makes beautiful real leather covers. They hold the Kindle using a rail system without the hinge or ugly straps. I recently posted a review with pics in the Covers thread.
Very nice, indeed.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:05 PM   #12
Zell
Kindle User

Quote:
Originally Posted by silasgreenback View Post
Your thoughts and experience on the matter are exactly the same as mine. I looked and looked and saw so many cases that just didn't pass muster for the same price as the Amazon cover. I'd heard the warnings about the unlighted Amazon cover, but decided to risk it anyway because I liked it that much.

So far, I have no regrets at all. I haven't done anything with the hooks and even if it does become a problem, I'll just try the different remedies I've read about. If Amazon does get the issue straightened out, I'd highly recommend getting one...I'm sure you'll be happy with it.
I've got another case, the M-Edge Go, that I really like as well but it's not made of leather -- phooey -- otherwise I'd stick with it but for now it's my fall-back case if the Amazon case doesn't work-out. So, now I have the Amazon unlighted case, had it for two days now, and no problems so far (KNOCK ON WOOD). As with you, if my K3 does start to go whacko I'll try the plastic baggie on the hook idea. So far I really like the Amazon case. It has that leathery smell and it looks like it will wear well over time. I don't think my M-Edge cover will last very long.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:56 PM   #13
Snakey
What would Snake do?
Snakey began at the beginning.

Quote:
I've got another case, the M-Edge Go, that I really like as well but it's not made of leather -- phooey -- otherwise I'd stick with it but for now it's my fall-back case if the Amazon case doesn't work-out. So, now I have the Amazon unlighted case, had it for two days now, and no problems so far (KNOCK ON WOOD). As with you, if my K3 does start to go whacko I'll try the plastic baggie on the hook idea. So far I really like the Amazon case. It has that leathery smell and it looks like it will wear well over time. I don't think my M-Edge cover will last very long.
I'm really pleased with my Go, if anyone is cool with fake leather then I'd recommend it to em.
Snakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:38 AM   #14
Starko
Zealot
Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am not sure you can still buy Unlighted Kindle Covers from Amazon.
With mine, I started experiencing reboots after a month or so. Amazon refunded me but did not ask me to send it back. I immediately ordered a lighted cover that i find absolutely terrific. Although i don't use the unlighted one anymore, I have fixed the reboot issue by putting some scotch tape on the underside of the lower hinge.

It is a "burnt orange" and is still in mint condition. Can sell it for a good price.
Starko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 12:26 PM   #15
Zell
Kindle User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starko View Post
I am not sure you can still buy Unlighted Kindle Covers from Amazon.
With mine, I started experiencing reboots after a month or so. Amazon refunded me but did not ask me to send it back. I immediately ordered a lighted cover that i find absolutely terrific. Although i don't use the unlighted one anymore, I have fixed the reboot issue by putting some scotch tape on the underside of the lower hinge.

It is a "burnt orange" and is still in mint condition. Can sell it for a good price.
Day 4 and so far so good. I got my black non-lighted Amazon cover from Best Buy. They had a bunch of them. If my Kindle does start to go hey-wire I'll either do the plastic baggie on the hinge hook or put tape on the underside of the lower hinge as you did. I'm convinced if you "insulate" the hooks the K3 will work just fine. I think what happens is over time the paint on the hooks wears off and exposes the bare metal which acts as some sort of a conductor which sends the K3 into a tizzy. Keep the hooks insulated and there should be no problems. Just my thoughts.