Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-25-2011, 01:05 AM   #1
kuris
kuris began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Kindle dictionary highlight not working

Hi, I recently purchased a Kindle (the basic one, version 4) and the instant-look up feature is not working when I move my cursor next to words. I have the dictionary set up in the settings and am wondering why this isn't working. Thanks for the help.
kuris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 01:21 AM   #2
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Is it all words, or just certain words? I find if I encounter a word that's not in my dictionary, no look-up will pop up.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2011, 01:34 AM   #3
kuris
kuris began at the beginning.

It's all words, sadly
kuris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 02:35 AM   #4
Alibaba32
Alibaba32 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuris View Post
Hi, I recently purchased a Kindle (the basic one, version 4) and the instant-look up feature is not working when I move my cursor next to words. I have the dictionary set up in the settings and am wondering why this isn't working. Thanks for the help.
Kuris Hi, just a thought but when you say "I move my cursor next to words" do you not have to ckick on a word and drag the cursor slightly to bring up dictionary look-up!

That is what I have to do on Kindle for PC

Regards Alibaba32

Happy Xmas
Alibaba32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 10:20 AM   #5
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alibaba32 View Post
Kuris Hi, just a thought but when you say "I move my cursor next to words" do you not have to ckick on a word and drag the cursor slightly to bring up dictionary look-up!

That is what I have to do on Kindle for PC

Regards Alibaba32

Happy Xmas
Alibaba32,

The definition should appear at the bottom or top of the screen as soon as you move the cursor next to the desired word. Hitting "enter" should bring up the page in the dictionary itself and a more fuller definition. At least, that's how it works on my K2 & K3.

<><><>

kuris,

The Kindle should have arrived with the dictionary ready-to-use. Did you change any of the settings? Whether you did or not, I'd contact Kindle Support immediately. In my experience, Amazon's support service is remarkable. If I thought any more highly of it, I'd be accused of being a company plant.

You can reach them at 1-206-266-0927 (members inside the United States can reach them at 1-866-321-8851).

Best wishes!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2011, 12:34 PM   #6
Alibaba32
Alibaba32 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle pc
Hi WT Sharpe, thanks for the info. I do not own a Kindle so no hands on yet, but I am hoping the news leak of the Kfire UK launch in January may mean the Ktouch will be available in the UK to.

Regards

Alibaba32
Alibaba32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:45 PM   #7
cliffsloane
cliffsloane can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.cliffsloane can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.cliffsloane can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.cliffsloane can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.cliffsloane can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.cliffsloane can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.cliffsloane can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.cliffsloane can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.cliffsloane can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.cliffsloane can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.cliffsloane can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuris View Post

I have a similar problem. But here are some helpful details.

It only happens on large files, such as whole books. With MOBI format, no entry appears at all, even though I have verified that the entry exists in the dictionary. In native Kindle format, it says "No dictionary found" even though I set and reset it.

On small files, regardless of format (txt, pdf and all others), it works fine. If I could, I would try to figure out the cutoff point for the file size where this happens.
cliffsloane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:08 PM   #8
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
The language encoding of the book might be wrong.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:31 PM   #9
cliffsloane
cliffsloane can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.cliffsloane can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.cliffsloane can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.cliffsloane can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.cliffsloane can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.cliffsloane can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.cliffsloane can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.cliffsloane can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.cliffsloane can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.cliffsloane can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.cliffsloane can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
The language encoding of the book might be wrong.
No, it is not the encoding, it is the size. Identical formats work with smaller documents, then fail to work on ANY format if they are large enough.

If anyone wants, I can test it out on several identical formats to find the size cutoff point.
cliffsloane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:57 AM   #10
rohmega
rohmega began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3 keyboard
The solution for me was to add metadata via Calibre.
This works for larger books too! Sorry about the late reply though.
rohmega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:57 AM   #11
marinab
marinab began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G
Hi, I've edited metadata and it has worked for some books, but not for all: I cant make the dictionary work in the really large files (unless they're in english). Any ideas?

Thanks!

Marina
marinab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:47 AM   #12
marinab
marinab began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G
Anybody knows if the Kindle Paper White has solved this problem?
marinab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:14 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Solved what problem?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 04:53 PM   #14
Jussslic
Jussslic began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohmega View Post
The solution for me was to add metadata via Calibre.
This works for larger books too! Sorry about the late reply though.
Ah fantastic! This worked for me... the language encoding on a few of my files was off. Excellent suggestion, this was driving me crazy!
Jussslic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dictionary, kindle