Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-05-2010, 07:35 PM   #16
KjellM
Connoisseur
KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo, Glo HD, Aura ONE
[QUOTE=jimr;994124. So far, I don't mind recharging regularly, but I don't want to over charge (since a Kobo rep on this forum said that the battery will only tolerate so many charges in its lifetime)[/QUOTE]

Lithium Ion batteries are good for only 300 to 400 full discharge/recharge cycles. However, you can extend their life by discharging them only 10% to 15% and then recharging them. These batteries do degrade over time, but keeping the level of discharge low helps to reduce this degradation. Keeping the batteries on a charger constantly is not good for them, so most units stop the charging current when they decide the batteries are fully charged (the Kobo does NOT stop charging according to my charger !).
KjellM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 08:55 PM   #17
jimr
jimr began at the beginning.

Device: Original Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by KjellM View Post
Lithium Ion batteries are good for only 300 to 400 full discharge/recharge cycles. However, you can extend their life by discharging them only 10% to 15% and then recharging them. These batteries do degrade over time, but keeping the level of discharge low helps to reduce this degradation. Keeping the batteries on a charger constantly is not good for them, so most units stop the charging current when they decide the batteries are fully charged (the Kobo does NOT stop charging according to my charger !).
Thanks kjellM. Somebody else suggested that a 20 minute charge every couple days is a good way to keep it topped up and extend the batter life. That sounds consistent with what you're saying.
jimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2010, 08:03 AM   #18
terifili
Enthusiast
terifili doesn't litterterifili doesn't litter

Device: Kobo
Bummed... I am probably getting about 250-500 more page turns from the upgrade... about 2000 total..

Not what I was expecting nor what they claimed.

Still not sure I'll return it at this point. Really, 3 books and then charging the battery is not bad at all. Just hope my product isn't defective...
terifili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:00 AM   #19
plaid
Connoisseur
plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo eReader
I'm quite hesitant about going through the return/replacement process as well, but I probably should. My battery life looks like it has gone down since the firmware upgrade. It's hard to tell how many pages I've been able to read, but I don't think it will have equaled one book. I've been reading Asimov's Pebble in the Sky which isn't that large a book, reading The Return Of The King to my Son, and some news that I've synced over via Calibre. But it's been around 6 days since I charged and I've only read several chapters of each of those books, and last night I got the low battery warning.
plaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:16 AM   #20
jimr
jimr began at the beginning.

Device: Original Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaid View Post
I'm quite hesitant about going through the return/replacement process as well, but I probably should. My battery life looks like it has gone down since the firmware upgrade. It's hard to tell how many pages I've been able to read, but I don't think it will have equaled one book. I've been reading Asimov's Pebble in the Sky which isn't that large a book, reading The Return Of The King to my Son, and some news that I've synced over via Calibre. But it's been around 6 days since I charged and I've only read several chapters of each of those books, and last night I got the low battery warning.
Sadly, I think it's pretty clear that the batteries they used aren't up to the task. I can live with having to charge every couple days...I have to do that with pretty much every other electronic device I own. But what worries me, is how long will the Kobo be good for. Once the batter dies for good...that's it! On the other hand, there is a 1 yr warranty...so, if it dies within that period, they'll have to do something about it...even a credit toward their next generation model would be a reasonable compromise
jimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert