Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 12-05-2009, 07:12 AM   #1
codeflakes
codeflakes began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Lightbulb Asking you about the ideal ebook reader app

Hi everyone,

I'm a iPhone developer and a long time ebook reader user.

I developed a page flip component for the iphone PaperTouch API video here that I would like to use in a ebook reader app.

Well my question is simple. Do you think it's a god idea? Does it adds value compared to a more classical flat view representation and what feature would you like to see the most in a app like this?

Thanks for your help
codeflakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 04:17 PM   #2
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Its a gorgeous animated effect. I guess the question for me is:
1) does it affect battery life? I turn a lot of pages
2) does the speed (or lack thereof) just end up making me turn it off after a while.

For the record, I do use Stanza's page turn animation now, but set at a pretty quick speed, because I read pretty fast. I used to use just the slide page turn, which is faster, but I do like a bit of eye-candy with my reading experience, it just makes the whole experience more enjoyable to me. But I know a lot of people just want to read without the distractions

Looking forward to your eBook reader app-can always have one more

What I want in an iPhone reader:
1) Full ePub support

2) Multiple page turn options-for example, I have Stanza set to turn pages forward on BOTH edges of the screen, because I rarely go backwards, and I can switch hands while reading while still operating it with one hand. I don't mind using the slower "swipe" if I have to go backwards (and as a usability issue-we did research that showed that most people barely used the page back button when they read-I don't remember the percentage, but it was pretty significant)

3) Well, actually, if you nail those two features down, I'm pretty content
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2009, 06:38 PM   #3
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
I think it's really fun, but it looks like the spine takes up area on the left of the screen that would make the text area even smaller. That would be a real disadvantage since it's already such a small viewing area.

I too, prefer Stanza for reading ebooks on my iTouch.

cheers

Last edited by Leep; 12-06-2009 at 12:32 AM.
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 06:46 AM   #4
codeflakes

Thanks for you inputs, sorry I've been really busy and did not have time to answer earlier
but your comments are very valuable to me. Just a few comments:

- Flip speed could be increased, I agree that a VERY important factor.
- Battery life, honestly I never tested it but there is no refesh when page isn't moving so I guess effects will be minimum.
- Spine area can be of course hidden, we show it in the video as a demo
Old 12-08-2009, 03:24 PM   #5
Yoshi 1080
Addict
Yoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litter

Device: iPad, iPhone, Mac
I think the normal animated page turns in other reader softwares are sufficient and frankly I don't see any advantage in more realistic animations. On the contrary, I could even imagine this to be annoying, when you have to specifically drag one corner to another to turn pages. In Stanza or Kindle, I just have to gently swipe to the left and it changes the page, no matter if this movement would have sufficed on a real book.
Yoshi 1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2009, 03:01 AM   #6
codeflakes

The irony is that I agree with you Yoshi 1080. But I've been wrong before about the importance of eye candies in application.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:15 PM   #7
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by codeflakes View Post
The irony is that I agree with you Yoshi 1080. But I've been wrong before about the importance of eye candies in application.
I think the misconception about "eye-candy" is that it is always useless unless it has a specific quantifiable function. The problem with eye-candy is when it hinders a functionality, or tries to mask an inadequacy with fireworks. But looking good, and being innovative, and having fun, are all good things, in my opinion, as long as it doesn't get in the way of what I want to do.

But, I use a Mac, so, I'm biased in that direction
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote