Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 11-23-2009, 09:23 AM   #16
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
That's been my attitude regarding technological history for decades, ever since being introduced to the Connections series. That was the inspiration for writing the book, combined with my peculiarly parallel perspective on the subject.
Don't forget your fetish for self-torment

Kidding aside, a very interesteing read, and I would dearly like to read the rest. No matter if free or paid for.
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 10:09 AM   #17
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
Don't forget your fetish for self-torment
Aye, that too, that too.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2009, 09:26 AM   #18
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So, another variation on an earlier question: Price.

Should a reference e-book, be priced differently than a fiction e-book? For a book that is more of a textbook, with the extensive research, charts and graphs, footnotes, maybe rights-restricted material that needs to be paid for, I would say yes. But this is not a textbook with all that stuff. And it also happens to be shorter than my fiction books, of which I charge $3.50 now.

So, if I decide to charge (which is not decided yet), what price would be considered reasonable for such a work?
Old 11-24-2009, 11:21 AM   #19
rhmorrison
Connoisseur
rhmorrison is no ebook tyro.rhmorrison is no ebook tyro.rhmorrison is no ebook tyro.rhmorrison is no ebook tyro.rhmorrison is no ebook tyro.rhmorrison is no ebook tyro.rhmorrison is no ebook tyro.rhmorrison is no ebook tyro.rhmorrison is no ebook tyro.rhmorrison is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle 3 (WLAN) & hp Jornada 568
So, another variation on an earlier question: Price!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Should a reference e-book, be priced differently than a fiction e-book? For a book that is more of a textbook, with the extensive research, charts and graphs, footnotes, maybe rights-restricted material that needs to be paid for, I would say yes. But this is not a textbook with all that stuff. And it also happens to be shorter than my fiction books, of which I charge $3.50 now.

So, if I decide to charge (which is not decided yet), what price would be considered reasonable for such a work?
As I see it you have the following factors to consider:
  1. Advertising: Yes / No ?
    One should never underestimate the "first one for FREE" principle.
    I hate the "here are the first two chapters approach" which is also used in printed books now and then.
    I NEVER READ THEM!
  2. Audience: Who are you trying to reach ?
    • NOOBS - People who no nothing about ebooks.
    • Casual User - People who know what it is but...
    • Hard core enthusiasts - People who love and use ebooks daily.
    If your goal with this work is to increase awareness of ebooks and to try to promote their use then I would think that your primary audience will be the NOOBS and in this case I would tend to releasing the work for FREE.
  3. Effort: What did it take to create the work ?
    Based on what you have written it was considerably less effort to create than one of your novels.
  4. Value: What is it worth to the consumer ?
    As we all know most things are not sold based on what they cost on time, effort or materials but on what the customer is willing to pay!
    This is true for CD prices, CEO / Actor / Musician wages and etcetera...
    I don't agree with it, I don't approve of it, BUT... that's the way it is.
Depending on what is more important I would either offer it for FREE or for $2.50 based on your comparison with your other novels that currently sell for $3.50 on your website.

P.S. - I will be reading your newest book (I've bought and read all the others) "Verdant Skies" during my vacation in January on my (hopefully) brand new "txtr reader". Or, should delivery be delayed then on my old, tried and true, "hp Jornada 568". From the comments I have read it is your best work so far so I am really looking forward to reading it! And of course I will read your ebook reference work when available whether for FREE, $2.50, or $3.50.
rhmorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 12:04 PM   #20
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

FYI: The one group this book is not intended for is Noobs. This book is for e-book consumers, authors studying new markets, and producers/publishers trying to make sense of the e-book landscape, and who want to know why the industry has been so fractured for so long.

A Noob reading this book would probably not be encouraged to get into e-books... in fact, such a Noob is probably not reading e-books, so he'll never see or hear of this one (since I'm pretty sure it will never see print).

That said... I see the logic behind $2.50 (or so) pricing, as well. And the free option is also still on the table, to use purely as a promotional tool.
Advert
Old 11-24-2009, 02:34 PM   #21
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1. BeBook Mini. BeBook Neo and Club. BeBook Live. BeeBook Pure.
I always love the free option, who doesn't. $2 - $2.5 wouldn't hurt though.
Stormchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 05:03 PM   #22
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
i would say run it at about the same price you do your fictional works, since a) it's shorter than them, b) it's a reference, so more $ per word ( ) and c) it would be good avertising to make it seem more available.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 07:14 PM   #23
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
I'm sure your name change to Michael Crichton II would be opposed - thought about King Crichton? Or Hemingway Clark?

But seriously - looking forward to your book. Let us know when it's available
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 02:49 PM   #24
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katti's Cat View Post
I'm sure your name change to Michael Crichton II would be opposed - thought about King Crichton? Or Hemingway Clark?
I think I'll compromise: Michael Jordan.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:09 PM   #25
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Athough I'm not American even I know that that name has been taken
Old 11-26-2009, 10:27 AM   #26
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Hmm... maybe I'll have to go with my Native American name: "Stands Up To The Bear".

(Or maybe the N.A. name my wife gave me: "Sucker Buys Wife A Head Start")

Hokay, anyway ... I've got some things to think about over the next few days (I expect to be done with the final polishing by the end of the weekend... hey, beats Black Friday shopping!). Then we'll see how fast I can package it all up and put it out.
Old 11-26-2009, 08:19 PM   #27
Katti's Cat
Wizard

I like your native American name but maybe the name your wife gave you would sell better ?

Well , chop chop back to work - looking forward to your work
Old 11-29-2009, 10:51 PM   #28
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

I'm calling this book finished on 11/29/2009, pending any last-minute revisions (of which there still might be).

I have decided to charge for the book, though I'm not sure how much yet. Definitely less than $5USD.

The intro 2 chapters will be available for free on my website when it is available. It will, of course, be available in the 6 e-book formats that are common on my site. I am also considering making it available on Smashwords, but haven't decided yet how effective it will be to market it there.

Depending on how much free time I can muster before vacation next week, I'll either have it available on my site by Dec. 4th, or after Dec. 12th. (Vacations... don't ya hate 'em? )
Old 11-30-2009, 03:35 AM   #29
Katti's Cat
Wizard

Nice Job - good luck on selling your book.

If Smashwords doesn't cost you anything (I'm not a writer so I don't know) why not put it there as well.

Definately want to check out the first few chapters so don't forget to post the link once you are ready.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:51 AM   #30
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katti's Cat View Post
If Smashwords doesn't cost you anything (I'm not a writer so I don't know) why not put it there as well.
This issue recently came up with the threads detailing Smashwords content being picked up by B&N, Sony, and now Amazon: The thing about having your work included in Smashwords and the other markets, is that they become needles in barn-sized haystacks, and it is unlikely that anyone will ever see them.

(Sure, they'll appear on Smashwords' front page... but only for a few minutes, until they're bumped off by a few vampire stories and sex vignettes.)

The only way to get them noticed on Amazon, B&N, Sony, etc, is to spend money on advertising... and frankly, I know I can't compete with the ad budgets of the big publishers. I can do a better job promoting my book through this site and others, sending out press releases and newsletters, etc.

With this in mind, going through the trouble of creating another version of the book for Smashwords (because their conversion system is very particular these days) may not be worth the effort.

In illustration, my best novel is in Smashwords right now, and I have made only 2 sales there (not counting the 10 books I've given away for free to our soldiers)... whereas the sales of that same book on my website are in the comfortable double-digits right now.

Tags
e-book market, opinions, reference books