Notices

View Poll Results: How to proceed with serious off-topic discussions
Add a new section "Salon" under Miscellaneous 89 80.91%
Add a new thread prefix "Keep it Sensible" to the Lounge 21 19.09%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-28-2009, 12:47 PM   #76
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Blue View Post
... I don't understand why Round Table wouldn't be appropriate. ...
'Cos it's for squares?
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 12:48 PM   #77
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Let's just ban all lack of seriousness (paticurlarly silliness) from the forum entirely. We could actively enforce it by adding a squad of new moderators to police the threads who would delete all comments that veered from the topic or caused one to smile or chuckle. Repeat offenders would be expelled. Strict adherence to the thread topic, as defined narrowly by the thread owners, would then be maintained so long as we maintained constant vigilence. I'm all for it.
Now that's just silly.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2009, 01:06 PM   #78
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Now that's just silly.
*deleted to promote peace and harmony in MR*

Last edited by Wetdogeared; 03-29-2009 at 11:33 AM.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 01:59 PM   #79
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Leave it alone, guys. I doubt either of these options would actually hurt the Lounge as it is, and if it makes other people happy, where's the harm?
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 02:17 PM   #80
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
Leave it alone, guys. I doubt either of these options would actually hurt the Lounge as it is, and if it makes other people happy, where's the harm?
Neko, please don't misunderstand. I don't think either option would do harm and I would support either of them. I simply cringe at some of the attitudes that have been expressed. I'll leave it at that.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2009, 03:47 PM   #81
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Blue View Post
I'm not a hard core Monty Python fan so I don't understand why Round Table wouldn't be appropriate. (Or is that something else I need to check the wiki for.) Personally I've never chuckled or giggled at the phrase Round Table, but then again I suppose every phrase might have a funny or irreverent connotation to somebody, right?
I think it was more the frame of mind I was in last night

But this is why I made the comment:

ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 04:13 PM   #82
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Lyceum?
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 04:25 PM   #83
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
I think it was more the frame of mind I was in last night

But this is why I made the comment:

Yes, I looked into that last night as well, to see what I might have missed, and ran across this same video. I'm sure I've seen that skit before. It just didn't impress my memory enough to associate the phrase Round Table with any funny or irreverent connotation at all. I GET what you were saying though.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 04:57 PM   #84
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
Quote:
Neko, please don't misunderstand. I don't think either option would do harm and I would support either of them. I simply cringe at some of the attitudes that have been expressed. I'll leave it at that.
I have to second these sentiments. I didn't have a problem at all with Jon's original request or reasoning. But subsequent posts, by others, were very disheartening at best, and I'll likewise leave it at that.

As for myself I have definitely decided to cut back a great deal on all my public posting on the forum. And that is for a number of reasons and attitudes. So my vote is, I don't care, do what you want.

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 06:11 PM   #85
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh215 View Post
I have to second these sentiments. I didn't have a problem at all with Jon's original request or reasoning. But subsequent posts, by others, were very disheartening at best, and I'll likewise leave it at that.

As for myself I have definitely decided to cut back a great deal on all my public posting on the forum. And that is for a number of reasons and attitudes. So my vote is, I don't care, do what you want.

-MJ
I'm sorry, MJ. I fear I've just contributed to some of those hard feelings. Sometimes I wield sarcasm like a weapon and I did so unjustly this morning. I apologize for that and hope you'll please continue to participate in this forum as always. I personally find it quite informative, helpful, friendly, and fun.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 06:15 PM   #86
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh215 View Post

-MJ
Sorry to hear that
Old 03-28-2009, 07:39 PM   #87
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
I associate the Athenaeum with the conservative gentleman's club of that name, in Pall Mall, London
http://www.athenaeumclub.co.uk/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athenaeum_Club,_London

It's a private club; very elitist; and only admitted women in 2002. I doubt whether that name would be conducive to inclusive discussion. But if a pretentious snob's corner is wanted, then the name is fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
'Cos it's for squares?
Y'know, taking those two thoughts together... nah
Old 03-29-2009, 10:39 AM   #88
YGG-
Dry fruit
YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Bookeen Opus + HTC Desire HD
Quote:
[...] I don't think either option would do harm and I would support either of them. I simply cringe at some of the attitudes that have been expressed. I'll leave it at that.
I second that ; remember rule #6 ? ("don't take yourself so damn seriously")
YGG- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 10:46 AM   #89
YGG-
Dry fruit
YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Bookeen Opus + HTC Desire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
The Snug
The Lair
The Fortress of Solitude
The Bat Cave
Uncle Jim's Serious Corner
The Void
The Old Curiosity Shoppe
The Aviary
The Barrel
I'd suggest yet another poll :
What is your mother tongue / native language :
English (UK)
English (US)
English (other flavo-u-rs)
NOT English
YGG- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 10:50 AM   #90
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by YGG- View Post
NOT English
Do you mean Foreign English?
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote