Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 03-23-2013, 04:07 PM   #1
Erinath
Shy Philosopher
Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Nook Simple Touch, Nook HD+ & Kindle Keyboard (wifi only)
Considering buying a Nook Simple Touch - few questions.

Hi everyone,
I'm in the process of looking for a new reader and it seems to come down a choice between the Nook Simple Touch, or either a Sony T1 (refurbished, directly from Sony) or T2. I need it mainly for studying as I have to read quite a few pdfs & would prefer to have them on an e ink device (unfortunately my Kindle's knackered). These will mainly be text books or academic journals, not many diagrams (if any).

I was wondering what the Nook was like out of the box for reading pdfs? Would it make sense to root the device, what would the benefits be? I don't mind rooting, as long as it's pretty simple to do & stable afterwards - which I believe both are the case with the Nook. I've read several reports of their being issues with the Glowlight version, is it best to stick to the standard Simple Touch instead? Finally, I was wondering if anyone knew what the advantages would be of getting a Nook rather than a Sony? (Price being the most obvious one).

Thanks.
Erinath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:42 PM   #2
janjanjan
Enthusiast
janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Nook Classic, Nook ST Glow
I find the Simple Touch lousy for PDFs. Since I have few needs of this type, I just use my Nexus 7 on those rare occasions. I can't help with the rooting questions.
janjanjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2013, 08:29 AM   #3
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
I never read pdf's on a 6in e-ink device. Not worth the hassle, to me, of all that zooming around and figuring out what picture/graph/etc went where.
But you may not mind all that.

Last edited by Ravensknight; 03-24-2013 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Grammah!
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:53 AM   #4
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I agree that PDF on 6" devices isn't a nice experience at all! It's "less bad" on the Sony though.
Rooting the Nook shouldn't be too difficult, but beware of your version firmware if doing it or you could find yourself in trouble! (I know from personal experience! Sorted it out, but there were a few scary moments there... Since I really didn't see much advantage in rooting it I decided to stay with it as it was.)
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:45 PM   #5
Erinath
Shy Philosopher
Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Using a tablet to read pdfs would defeat the purpose of buying an ereader so I didn't have to read pdfs off a computer screen I've been managing to read pdfs fine off a Kindle & that's got a 6" screen, it's just that my Kindle has now broken. Do Nooks offer the service where you can have a file converted simply by emailing it?
Advert
Old 03-24-2013, 06:02 PM   #6
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Back in the PRS days Sony was better than most for PDF. (Far better than the Kindle!) I don't know how things are now though, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't a lot better than the Nook.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:19 PM   #7
Erinath
Shy Philosopher

Thanks for the advice, I've ordered a Sony
Old 03-26-2013, 12:18 PM   #8
Asawi
Gadgetoholic

I think you'll be very happy with your Sony once you get it!