Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Which book shall we read for February's discussion?
Portrait of Jennie by Robert Nathan 13 20.63%
Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov 14 22.22%
Circle of Friends by Maeve Binchy 5 7.94%
The Greatest Knight by Elizabeth Chadwick 8 12.70%
Shards of Honor by Lois McMaster Bujold 10 15.87%
Outlander by Diana Gabaldon 14 22.22%
Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen 10 15.87%
A Town Like Alice by Nevil Shute 24 38.10%
Love Story by Erich Segal 11 17.46%
Stardust by Neil Gaiman 22 34.92%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-06-2013, 12:28 PM   #181
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Yes.

Spoiler:
I was a bit put out that Noel Strachan didn't tell Joe Harman that Jean was in Oz looking for him .
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyfan View Post
I agree with you on that. I felt the same way.
I as well, although I understood the reason. I was so sure, however, that once they got to know each other, N.S. would change his mind. Seems, though, he was out for a bit of sport and/or surprise.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:30 PM   #182
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Sounds rather annoying.
But in a good way!

Oh shoot! My lunch time is over.

5 more hours before I can read again.

Last edited by Nyssa; 02-06-2013 at 12:33 PM.
Advert
Old 02-06-2013, 01:20 PM   #183
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
A quick "Thank You" to those who nominated and/or voted for A Town Like Alice.

I'm half way through...

Now back to work... But I have a lunch break soon.
Quote:
I was going to say the same thing. Really enjoying it - 52% through .
I read it the day before yesterday in one day and liked it.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:06 PM   #184
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
In one day! I'm lucky if I get much more than half an hour a day reading time. A good day is an hour. Unless I have a train trip, which is rare these days now our company have told us we have to drive everywhere .
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:49 PM   #185
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I'm hoping to get some reading time this weekend. and A Town Like Alice is first on my list. Looking forward to it!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2013, 03:09 PM   #186
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
A quick "Thank You" to those who nominated and/or voted for A Town Like Alice.

I'm half way through...

Now back to work... But I have a lunch break soon.
Quote:
I was going to say the same thing. Really enjoying it - 52% through .
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
You guys best not be lying; I know how to find you! I was going to skip this month, but just bought the book after reading those comments.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:19 PM   #187
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
You guys best not be lying; I know how to find you! I was going to skip this month, but just bought the book after reading those comments.
The free version here at MR was not to your taste?

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=172378
Old 02-06-2013, 03:31 PM   #188
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post

It's not in the public domain in the US (or in most other places). Just a guess, but that's why he bought a copy?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:45 PM   #189
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

Not when it looks like a reject that not even eReader would accept. Sorry, but it's an awful looking mess (see the recent thread on poor formatting). Everything runs together until chapter 1. The ToC has extra entries that do not belong. The paragraph spaces are large. No indent. Just a mess.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:51 PM   #190
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Not when it looks like a reject that not even eReader would accept. Sorry, but it's an awful looking mess (see the recent thread on poor formatting). Everything runs together until chapter 1. The ToC has extra entries that do not belong. The paragraph spaces are large. No indent. Just a mess.
I'll take your word for that. I really did not look at the details of where it was or was not in copyright closely at all either. I checked a copy out from FLP last night anyway. It's up next when I finish my current read.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:51 PM   #191
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
It's not in the public domain in the US (or in most other places). Just a guess, but that's why he bought a copy?
Exactly. The text of the upload even says, "Since Nevil Shute died in 1960, this book is out of copyright only in Canada or other jurisdiction with copyright expiration 50 years after the author's death. This book is courtesy of Project Gutenberg, Canada."
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:30 PM   #192
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Another sucker bites the dust
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:55 PM   #193
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Another sucker bites the dust
Heh. Alice is pretty good entertainment but it's a pretty bad book. I'm not going to reread, but I think I remember my main objections. I'll be interested to see how opinions run.

The tv show is much better; it avoided some (not all) of the worst offenses.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:00 PM   #194
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
54% and impatiently awaiting the "meeting".
At 74% now....
Spoiler:
As happy as I am about their finally "meeting" and moving full speed ahead, if she says his name one more time, I think I'm going to go crazy. I don't think I've ever "heard" someone refer to someone else by name, as many times in a single conversation as she seems to do, with Joe! Is she afraid of forgetting to whom she's speaking, or does she think he'll suddenly think she's talking to someone else?
Old 02-09-2013, 10:40 AM   #195
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'm already up to page 62 of 255 and I'm not seeing anything romance like. I'm getting more and more convinced that the wrong book (yet again) was picked.

I suggest that when a book is nominated that it's scrutinized to be sure it actually fits with the month's genre. We had a major botch job with Science Fiction and it looks like Romance might be out the window as well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote