Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-30-2012, 02:18 PM   #151
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo X61, Samsung Galaxy Note with Aldiko reader app
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Good luck with that! Agh!
It will work out fine ... somehow!
Peakcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:03 PM   #152
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Okay, I'll start this off

a) PID: 4163 rev: 326

b) I bought my Touch in the Netherlands, but before it was officially released in the Netherlands. I think my supplier might have got it from Germany, but I'm not sure.

c) I've always done all my regular/official updates via Wifi. I've never done any via Desktop, except for the very first (which was 1.9.14). I updated to the unofficial/Japanese 2.0.2 manually (copying the unzipped files to .kobo), and after that to 2.1.1 the same way

d) I have had no troubles at all with any of the updates, except from 2.0.2 to 2.1.1 where the first try my Kobo started up with 2.0.0 for some reason. Putting 2.1.1 on top of that went fine. Yes, 2.0.0 gave me horribly slow page turns and wrong book covers and all the rest of the reported issues, which is why I escaped to 2.0.2 (which didn't help much) and then to 2.1.1 (which is almost perfect).

e) Yep I'm lucky

P.S. And I use a Mac... maybe that's relevant?
I've just had to do a million resets and one of them got me to my original firmware: it's 1.9.11 r32877, 9/23/11.

(Unfortunately it wasn't fully functional so now I'm stuck in the resetting game again, but at least we now know my device started with 1.9.11!)
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2012, 06:42 PM   #153
Breid
Zealot
Breid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really nice

Device: Kobo Aura HD; Kobo Glo; KPW
[QUOTE=Peakcrew;2213955]On the "Kobo Touch future firmware feature request thread", a few of us have been wondering if there is a connection between device IDs and the well-known problems some have had updating since firmware update 2.0.0 came out. Obviously, to find this out we need some information from you good folks, in the form of:

a) your device ID and version number,

PID: 4136 Rev: 0326

b) an indication of the country you bought the Touch and where you did the update(s),

Purchased in Ireland (Apr 2012) ...all updates in Ireland

c) whether you did it via Kobo Desktop, wifi, or by downloading and installing yourself, and

First update via Kobo Desktop, all subsequent updates via WiFi

d) whether you have had any difficulties or changes in device behaviour not announced by Kobo as part of the updates since 2.0.0., and, if you did, what they were/are. These include, but are not limited to, failed updates, slow page turns, displaying the wrong book cover ... the list is quite long!

I have been lucky - no problems at all and successfully updated to 2.1.4 (r43710 10/1/12) last week via WiFi, only 1 update required and device going like a rocket since then

e) In addition, if you know the firmware version it came with from the factory that would be useful.

Apologies, I have not got the faintest idea what the firmware it came with was....guessing 1.9.7

f) However, reports of no problems are as useful, so if you have been lucky, please let us know, too!

Lucky,lucky, lucky happy dance (comiserations to everyone who was not so fortunate)
Breid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:00 PM   #154
Breid
Zealot
Breid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
More stuff to check: On the device, there is a file : \.kobo\version

The contents of my file is: KG3192300000B,2.6.35.3,2.0.0,2.6.35.3,2.6.35.3,00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000310
(with the serial number obscured)

The first field is the serial number of the device.
The third field is the version of the firmware

In all three versions of the firmware I've loaded (1.9.11, 1.9,17, 2.0.0), only the firmware version number (field 3) has changed.

The questions:
  • Does anyone have a serial number that doesn't start with KG3? Does anyone have a serial number that starts with KG32?
  • What letters do people have as the last character of the serial number (mine is B).
  • I have 2.6.35.3 for the 2nd, 4th and 5th fields. Does anyone have different? or not the same number in all 3 fields?
  • In the last field, I have 310, does anyone have something different?
And, while I think of it, does anyone who managed to get 2.0.2 or 2.1.1 installed, NOT have wifi enabled during the update process?
MUrg, hope this helps, I have KG32 here is the full string from my version file
KG3220100477E,2.6.35.3,2.1.4,2.6.35.3,2.6.35.3,00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000310

Last edited by Breid; 10-10-2012 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Colour coding
Old 10-10-2012, 07:02 PM   #155
Breid
Zealot

Delete: colour coding added to previous post

Last edited by Breid; 10-10-2012 at 07:07 PM.
Advert
Old 10-10-2012, 08:13 PM   #156
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Something I just discovered today... there seem to multiple FCC ids for Touches; probably pertaining to different hardware. Matbe rather than tracking serial #s we need to track the FCC ids.

Ones I am aware of are:
  • ZJLKOBON905 Original Kobo Touch - Filed 5/26/11
  • NOIKBN905B Filed 7/13/2011
  • NOIKBN905C Filed 7/20/1212
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:20 PM   #157
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Mine - a problem KT - is ZJLKOBON905, bought Australia (from Angus & Robertson online) Dec 2011.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:20 PM   #158
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Something I just discovered today... there seem to multiple FCC ids for Touches; probably pertaining to different hardware. Matbe rather than tracking serial #s we need to track the FCC ids.

Ones I am aware of are:
  • ZJLKOBON905 Original Kobo Touch - Filed 5/26/11
  • NOIKBN905B Filed 7/13/2011
  • NOIKBN905C Filed 7/20/1212
Looking at mine, it is ZJLKOBON905. It is one of the "problem" ones.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:23 PM   #159
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
The pessimistic, cynical side of me wonders whether Kobo is trying to string out this 'working update coming soon' process long enough to get us problem-devicers just out of the warranty period.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:33 PM   #160
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Interesting.. You can look here and see the applications https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/repor...ericSearch.cfm
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:25 AM   #161
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My FFC is the same as Davidfor's! Noooooooo

ZJLKOBON905

I did manage to manually update to 2.1.1 though... (but had trouble resetting afterwards)
Old 10-13-2012, 09:28 PM   #162
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
The FCC filings are related to the physical device.

The problems with the Australia devices seems to be firmware related. So, the same FCC device will have or not have the update problems depending on the firmware that was loaded onto it at the factory.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:52 PM   #163
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Hi, all,

I haven't vanished - well, not permanently. I'll work up an update database shortly (perhaps when I'm on holiday in a couple of weeks time).

Interesting information about the FCC numbers.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:30 AM   #164
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakcrew View Post
Hi, all,

I haven't vanished - well, not permanently. I'll work up an update database shortly (perhaps when I'm on holiday in a couple of weeks time).

Interesting information about the FCC numbers.
No! Holiday is holiday man, read your books
Old 10-17-2012, 07:10 AM   #165
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:
No! Holiday is holiday man, read your books
It's "holiday" in the sense of not actually being at work - house-hunting is the main activity. Doing a small database will seem like fun ...