Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-18-2012, 02:19 PM   #1
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Kobo Newbie

Hi. So I went into a store today and saw the kobo glo on display and was totally blown away by it and am now really considering getting it. I've just bought a kindle touch and have had a kindle keyboard for years. I have a large collection of kindle books but I've got some epubs left from when I used a Sony reader and I am somewhat familiar with the Kobo store as I used to buy books from there. I do think that a frontlit ereader would be nice and was considering the paperwhite but as I've just bought the touch it seems as though the paperwhite adds little to what I've already got but the Kobo would add a lot more as it had the front lit features but is a different device with a lot of different features and also gives me a platform to read epubs. As I've only ever used Sony and kindle devices before so I want to clarify some things before I take the plunge and get one.

Buying books:

Can I download books directly to the device from the Kobo store or do I have to go through adobe digital editions?

If I buy from other sites which are not kobo I asume I'd have to download to my pc and then transfer through Adobe digital editions?

What kind of guarantee do I get from Kobo and would I have to send it away to be repaired or do I return it to the shop I've bought it from.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:02 PM   #2
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
Buying books:

Can I download books directly to the device from the Kobo store or do I have to go through adobe digital editions?
Yes you can. You can either buy books directly from the device, or you can use your computer to buy books from kobobooks.com, and then wirelessly sync your kobo glo: it will automatically download all the kobo-bought books in your kobo account.
Quote:
If I buy from other sites which are not kobo I asume I'd have to download to my pc and then transfer through Adobe digital editions?
If the ebooks are protected with DRM, that is correct. If they're not protected, you could skip ADE and just use your computer (for instance, with Calibre as a library organising tool) Or, also with unprotected ebooks, you could use the browser on the kobo glo to download them.
Quote:
What kind of guarantee do I get from Kobo and would I have to send it away to be repaired or do I return it to the shop I've bought it from.
That depends on the return policy of your store. Most stores have a return policy of a certain number of days, and a longer number of days for defective devices. You'd have to check with the store you're planning maybe buying from. Kobo itself gives a year's guarantee I think, but I've also heard of cases where defective devices were replaced without a receipt. I think their normal policy for broken devices is you have to send them your device (and you pay for postage), but they send you a refurbished device in return free of charge. Don't quote me on that though, I'm typing this from memory of things I've read on this forum. I've not had any defective experiences myself.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2012, 05:17 PM   #3
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Thanks.

I think I'll go back again and have another more in depth look tomorrow with a view to buying it.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:11 PM   #4
sazzy_j
sazzy_j began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
hi i've had my kobo touch for just short 5 months and have been having trouble with it loading my books... first it updated software and then no ebooks showed up. any ideas help would be appreciated. Contact Kobo and factory reset at nauseum... no help there
sazzy_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:29 AM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Sazzy_j: can you give us more info please? How are you loading books; what type of computer; where are the books from...
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert