Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-20-2013, 07:47 PM   #15376
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
The movie was interesting, but the books are absolutely incredible! However, seeing the movie first, I can only see Danzel Washington's face and voice when I try to picture Lincoln. Still works out fine!

Stitchawl
Casting was good. I just didn't like what they ended up cutting out of the book to make the movie. Better off seeing the movie first as you don't realize what was cut out and how thin it is.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:55 PM   #15377
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
I'm currently reading Barrayar by Bujold and it's knocking my socks off. Not a very action packed novel but it's just so well written that it's absolutely addictive.
So you feel its the narrative voice that makes it?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2013, 08:10 PM   #15378
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
I'm currently reading Barrayar by Bujold and it's knocking my socks off. Not a very action packed novel but it's just so well written that it's absolutely addictive.
This is on my TBR list along with Shards of Honor but Baen and/or Bujold almost tripled the price for the ebook.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:40 PM   #15379
bcgirl
Groupie
bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad2-64gb, Sony PRS-T1, KOBO mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleStar View Post
I just started Notorious Nineteen by Janet Evanovich, which I finally got from the library. YIPPEE!!!!
Let us know how it is, how you like it!
bcgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:56 AM   #15380
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Does anyone remember reading "The Butterfly Kid?" I'd love to re-read this delightful romp through the Greenwich Village of my formative years.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2013, 01:08 AM   #15381
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
They are addictive. Miles is a great character, and the supporting cast is compelling and fun. I just recently finished a re-read of the entire series, and was captivated again.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:17 AM   #15382
Cyclops
Only need one eye to read
Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch N905C, Sony PRS-300, Nintendo DSi XL,
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
This: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ostcount=15137

Yes. And thank you! I've not read it, but have tried to read several of his stories and novels and have yet to get beyond a few pages.
Well I have a fuller review here:
http://sfaddict.blogspot.co.uk/2013/...ville.html?m=0
Cyclops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:50 AM   #15383
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Sixth Column by Robert A. Heinlein.
Also known as "The Day After Tomorrow" (thanks, alansplace), and I think I have read it under that title, but a vey long time ago.

It's Heinlein's first novel, on an outline by John W Campbell. An interesting early work, but definitely with its roots in the pulp super-science era. I enjoyed it, but perhaps more for the Heinlein insights rather than the story itself.

Next, another random selection from the TBR pile: Spaceman Blues by Brian Francis Slattery. This is a freebie from Tor. I abandon it after 10%. It is being written in a pretentious present tense style that is getting right up my nose, and the story is not interesting enough to put up with that. If I had read the Amazon description "literary retro-pulp science-fiction-mystery-superhero novel" I probably would not be starting it.

Next up: A freebie (no longer free) from BookViewCafe: Starfarers by Vondra N. McIntyre.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:09 AM   #15384
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Also known as "The Day After Tomorrow" (thanks, alansplace), and I think I have read it under that title, but a vey long time ago.

It's Heinlein's first novel, on an outline by John W Campbell. An interesting early work, but definitely with its roots in the pulp super-science era. I enjoyed it, but perhaps more for the Heinlein insights rather than the story itself.
If you enjoyed it for that reason, I'd recommend "Assignment in Eternity", also by published by Baen. It too is very early Heinlein (a collection of a couple of novellas and a couple of long-ish short stories).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:49 AM   #15385
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If you enjoyed it for that reason, I'd recommend "Assignment in Eternity", also by published by Baen. It too is very early Heinlein (a collection of a couple of novellas and a couple of long-ish short stories).
I've certainly read that one. I think I've read all Heinlein's books at some time or other.

But I will, no doubt, pick up that book when it makes it into another Baen monthly bundle in the future, hopefully the July 2013 bundle.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:01 AM   #15386
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Give War of the Roses a go if you want a story of a couple going at each other in various ways.
I really don't. I could go the rest of my life without reading one of those stories. Well, at least the rest of the year. Thanks for the suggestion though.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:04 AM   #15387
Cyclops
Only need one eye to read
Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch N905C, Sony PRS-300, Nintendo DSi XL,
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Im sure I read that years ago, only I read it thinking it was a novel and it totally didnt make sense...
Cyclops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:04 AM   #15388
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
I've been reading a good amount of comics lately, so I haven't had too much of a chance to read novels. As a result, I haven't finished The Gun Seller yet, but I should finish it off tonight and move on. To what, I don't know.
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:13 PM   #15389
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I'm floundering after reading 11/22/63...

Tried a sample of Exodus by Uris... didn't catch my interest.

Now reading a sample of Atlas Shrugged to see what all the fuss is about.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:24 PM   #15390
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Currently reading: The Concrete Blonde by Michael Connelly
On Deck: The Last Coyote by Michael Connelly
John F is offline   Reply With Quote