Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-03-2010, 10:39 PM   #1
jimr
jimr began at the beginning.

Device: Original Kobo
Shorter battery life since upgrade??

Ok...am I the only one? With the old firmware, my battery ran low very quicky whenever I kept it turned on (that was consistent with just about everybody else). Then I started turning if off after every reading session, and it lasted for approx 12 days on a charge...that was just the way I had hoped it would act. Now though, since the update, I notice it using power quicker than ever. I haven't had it long enough to know just how fast it is using the power, but I'm beginning to get worried. Anyone else notice this, or is it just me?
jimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 11:13 PM   #2
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kobo
Mine is draining faster but I have also been poking at it more to check display and date and hiding books. I also loaded and realoaded trying to get rid of finished books. I assumed since I was working it harder than usual it was draining.
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 11:59 PM   #3
plaid
Connoisseur
plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo eReader
I fully charged mine after my firmware upgrade. I barely used it and this afternoon when I took it out of the sleeve cover it had the message that it was almost out of battery. I charged it up again. Hopefully that was a one-time issue.
plaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 12:16 AM   #4
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaid View Post
Hopefully that was a one-time issue.
Yeah, that's what I'm hoping, too. I'm starting to think (again) that maybe they bought a truckload of bad batteries, down there at the Kobo factory.
corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 09:05 AM   #5
jimr

Quote:
Originally Posted by corona View Post
Yeah, that's what I'm hoping, too. I'm starting to think (again) that maybe they bought a truckload of bad batteries, down there at the Kobo factory.
Yes, with all due respect to Kobo who I believe have done a remarkable job of responding to their customer's issues, I'd hate to think that in the end the biggest problem they have are bad batteries.

Another day, and another tick off the battery gauge! AFter two days and very little fiddling with it, I'm at half batter power. Last week, there would have been no battery drain at all in that time frame....this isn't encouraging
Old 07-04-2010, 08:40 PM   #6
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
Yes, I'm having the same problem! I'm beginning to wonder if there's really any relationship between the battery gauge and the actual charge available. There's no real way to find out, I guess, other than to see if my Kobo dies "on schedule."
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 08:50 PM   #7
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Mine seems to be eating up the charge just with reading as well. I have shut it off when I am not reading.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:06 PM   #8
wrenn1
Addict

I just noticed that when the icon shows it is half done I only have to charge for an hour for the blue light to come one. It used to take longer.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:43 AM   #9
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaid View Post
I fully charged mine after my firmware upgrade. I barely used it and this afternoon when I took it out of the sleeve cover it had the message that it was almost out of battery. I charged it up again. Hopefully that was a one-time issue.
There's a message warning you that your battery is low now? I hadn't noticed if that was mentioned in any of the threads before. That's a great feature to have when you don't pay attention to the battery icon, like me
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 09:02 AM   #10
Turt99
Connoisseur
Turt99 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
The "Low Battery Message" sounds like a great idea, as long as its set correctly. I know with Laptops I've seen the power display as 0% and still get 20 min out of the charge.

Also with this thread I'm getting concerned that maybe all the checking to see how long the device as been idle might be eating up additional battery life.
Turt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 12:01 PM   #11
terifili
Enthusiast
terifili doesn't litterterifili doesn't litter

Fully charged mine for a full night and turned it on just now, and it is down about 1/4... ????
terifili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 12:13 PM   #12
jimr

Quote:
Originally Posted by terifili View Post
Fully charged mine for a full night and turned it on just now, and it is down about 1/4... ????
Yup..that's been my experience so far too. It didn't drain that fast before. Hmmmm.....
Old 07-05-2010, 12:16 PM   #13
terifili
Enthusiast
terifili doesn't litterterifili doesn't litter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimr View Post
Yup..that's been my experience so far too. It didn't drain that fast before. Hmmmm.....
I will count my page turns from this point... maybe it will last a while, just doesn't go to the full mark...
terifili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 12:34 PM   #14
Ghoda
Enthusiast
Ghoda is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo, Kobo for iPhone, Aluratek Libre
Just a thought - I recall during the initial battery posts for firmware v1.0 the idea of the battery gauge having to calibrate itself across a few charge cycles - maybe that is what is happening here? I haven't noticed anything different with the battery life myself but then again I only read for about 1-2 hours a day - power on, read, power off.
Ghoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 12:52 PM   #15
jimr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoda View Post
Just a thought - I recall during the initial battery posts for firmware v1.0 the idea of the battery gauge having to calibrate itself across a few charge cycles - maybe that is what is happening here? I haven't noticed anything different with the battery life myself but then again I only read for about 1-2 hours a day - power on, read, power off.
I did wonder that myself. This time, it seems to be sitting at 3/4 full for awhile longer. Maybe the next charge will do the trick. So far, I don't mind recharging regularly, but I don't want to over charge (since a Kobo rep on this forum said that the battery will only tolerate so many charges in its lifetime), and I don't want to be caught without my laptop or my charger nearby. Oh well...funny how old fashioned 'books' suddenly look appealing again..lol