Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Windows Devices

Notices

Old 12-11-2012, 09:58 PM   #1
Greg_E
Zealot
Greg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheese

Device: Acer Iconia a500, XP tablet PC
Windows 8 epub3 reader?

Looking for an epub3 reader that works in the new UI (formerly Metro) for windows 8. I have a new to me Acer w500 that I upgraded to Win8 Pro ($40) and now I want to find a reader for epub3 so I can experiment with creating this "new" form of interactive publication. I also want it for reading epub and maybe mobi books that I have on my Android tablet.

Why I don't want a desktop application - Because they don't respond to touch the same way that the apps for the new UI respond. I bought the w500 for the specific purpose of getting to grips with win8 since I decided I would never be happy learning the ins and outs without having touch support (tried it on a regular desktop computer). For what it is worth, I'm coming to grips pretty well now that I have touch and I really do like the speed over the stock win7 this tablet came with.
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:28 PM   #2
Greg_E
Zealot
Greg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheese

And the single rating on it is pretty low so I haven't tried it on my Android tablet.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:30 PM   #3
exscentric
Addict
exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
You might get surprised - disappointed, which ever. I downloaded the metro version of Kindle and it only holds 48 or so books before it refuses to download more. It is very iffy on whether it will run on my rig as well. About 50% of the time it would not start.

I downloaded the win 7 and installed it from desktop and it runs fine.
exscentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:42 PM   #4
Greg_E
Zealot

I only have a single Kindle book right now, most of my reading is PDF and a couple of epub or .doc converted to epub and most of that is still being done on my android tablet.

here is the funny thing -

I have an Acer Iconia a500 Android tablet and a new to me Acer Iconia w500 tablet. Using Aldiko to read PDF on the a500 and the "metro" version of Acrobat reader on the w500... The text is more readable on the a500 than on the w500 and I don't know why. they used the exact same display panel for both (same size and same resolution). I know it will take a while to get the few applications that I need onto the "metro" win8 tablet, but I would not have thought there would be display issues when reading documents. Hoping that the ereader writers will catch up soon so I can ditch the a500, there are a couple things that I've wanted to do that the a500 will not do well enough which helps push me to buying the w500 and win8 upgrade. One of those was the ability to run a real office suite, nit the low end stuff available for Android, and google docs is not always accessible since you need to be connected to use it for the things I wanted to do.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:43 AM   #5
HowGozit
Connoisseur
HowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS650, Kobo, Asus Tab 8, iPod Touch, Galaxy Tab, Surface Pr2
I'm using Freda as an ePub reader on my Win 8 tablet (Lenovo Twist) - and so far I am not really thrilled with it. Seems to work OK.. but... The long (16:9) screen doesn't really work in portrait mode - nor am I enthralled with the display of pages or fonts.

Kobo is supposed to read ePub3 - but lots of luck getting it to read sideloaded books.. I haven't figured out how yet. Microsoft aren't too keen on you digging into the Windows apps folder and have locked it down pretty hard.
HowGozit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:50 PM   #6
Greg_E
Zealot

Freda kept crashing on me so it is gone, haven't played with Kobo yet. And yes the data storage area for the new UI seems to be well hidden and protected, need to step around that sometime in the future when it matters. There are a couple that run in desktop mode but they lack full touch support.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:48 PM   #7
jhoff80
Enthusiast
jhoff80 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowGozit View Post
I'm using Freda as an ePub reader on my Win 8 tablet (Lenovo Twist) - and so far I am not really thrilled with it. Seems to work OK.. but... The long (16:9) screen doesn't really work in portrait mode - nor am I enthralled with the display of pages or fonts.

Kobo is supposed to read ePub3 - but lots of luck getting it to read sideloaded books.. I haven't figured out how yet. Microsoft aren't too keen on you digging into the Windows apps folder and have locked it down pretty hard.
The font rendering is horrible on Freda. I'm using Book Bazaar Reader at the moment, and I greatly prefer that, though it's not perfect either.

Anyway, you should be able to pretty easily get into the WindowsApps folder (found at C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\) if you change the permissions on it. Of course, make sure you have a backup first, because you can screw things up pretty majorly that way.

Anyway, that's just the program executable. For their data folders you want %localappdata%\Packages\. That is, for example, where the Nook app (which is also really buggy, in my experience) stores its epub files.
jhoff80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:08 PM   #8
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Not sure, but the EPUBreader plugin or Firefox may or may not support ePub3. I wrote to Michael, the dev, to find out.

I also found an ePub 3 validator add-on for FF that you may want to try. Not sure if it's any good.

Hmm, on second thought, I just got my Ativ 700 today, not sure if FF works in metro UI, as I haven't had much time to test yet.

Last edited by xendula; 01-28-2013 at 06:11 PM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:03 AM   #9
hapmas77
Connoisseur
hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2, Galaxy Tab S2 9.7, Kindle PW
I'm also looking for ePub reader for Windows 8.
So far I am using overdrive media console. In my opinion, it has better format than the other apps.

As workaround, I also use bluestacks to run android applications in my iconia W510 and use aldiko and mantano as alternative.
hapmas77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:44 AM   #10
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Mantano supports Ivona TTS and ADE, so thanks for the bluestacks tip.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:51 AM   #11
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
The three applications noted previously, Overdrive, Freda and Book Bazaar are the three I have currently kept loaded. The rest of the ones I tried, I junked. I vaguely favor Overdrive, but not by much.

That said, I tend to drop to the desktop and use either fbreader or Cool Reader instead. There isn't currently a real winner, IMO. Good luck.

I don't know if any of those yet support ePub3. I'm not sure I've run across an ePub3 in the wild.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:28 AM   #12
Jim Chapman
Addict
Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lumia 950 Phone
Freda not an EPUB3 reader

Just to avoid any misunderstanding (given the title of this thread): Freda is not an EPUB3 reader. It is only compatible with EPUB2 format. That said, I think the same is true of most other ereader programs. Also, it seems that most publishers are taking some care to ensure their EPUB3 books are backward-compatible - i.e. though supporting EPUB3 features, they are also work on reading systems that only understand EPUB2 format.

I doubt that Freda will ever extend to include all EPUB3 features (I expect I'll add some subset of the new navigation features and the new structural elements, but I really doubt that I'll be handling <audio>, <video> and <canvas> any time soon - and as for javascript ... forget it!).

For those who are interested, I will post occasional updates about the Freda development roadmap on the forum, here (that talks about the Windows Phone version of Freda, but in fact there is now only one development roadmap; the code-lines are merging).

Last edited by Jim Chapman; 02-12-2013 at 04:31 AM.
Jim Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 03:41 PM   #13
lukeintas
lukeintas began at the beginning.

Device: iBooks
The Readium extension for the Chrome browser is an ePub 3 reader, but isn't a touch interface app and doesn't have any annotation features.
lukeintas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:39 AM   #14
fekhner
Addict
fekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: DRs, EE, ipad/iphone, Helix
The Calibre viewer has now added touch support and can do some (limited) epub3 if I remember correctly.

For my set-up, see
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...94#post2768694

Otherwise, none of the dedicated epub3 readers that I have been playing with could do as well as readium, at least not for math formulas.
fekhner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:21 PM   #15
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeintas View Post
The Readium extension for the Chrome browser is an ePub 3 reader, but isn't a touch interface app and doesn't have any annotation features.
Readium and AZARDI are the only EPUB3 compatible readers I know. Here is a link to AZARDI:

http://azardi.infogridpacific.com/azardi-download.html

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 02-20-2014 at 07:23 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote