Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Which book shall we read for February's discussion?
Portrait of Jennie by Robert Nathan 13 20.63%
Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov 14 22.22%
Circle of Friends by Maeve Binchy 5 7.94%
The Greatest Knight by Elizabeth Chadwick 8 12.70%
Shards of Honor by Lois McMaster Bujold 10 15.87%
Outlander by Diana Gabaldon 14 22.22%
Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen 10 15.87%
A Town Like Alice by Nevil Shute 24 38.10%
Love Story by Erich Segal 11 17.46%
Stardust by Neil Gaiman 22 34.92%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-28-2013, 10:41 AM   #121
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I don't think the rule is needed. Nominations and category selections should keep most books out of repeated nominations. I thought it was the nomination and voting process itself that was supposed to monitor appropriateness of titles for a given category within the bounds of what the category nominator defines.

If I went to the library and went to the romance section at least four of the nominated books wouldn't have been on the shelf there. Genres are open to interpretation and I like the fact that we nominate oddities and get a lot of opinions. Is it always going to work? No, but the process that is there for nominating and voting should get us to at least a partial-majority wanting to read a book, independent of what we choose to label it as.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:16 AM   #122
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I think the point of the rule is that seeing the same book nominated again and again and again turns off many members, and it only takes three members to do it. Nominating a book month after month despite the category hoping it'll finally get lucky is sort of a perversion of the process. The rule also encourages people to nominate a book in a month it fits well since it only gets one shot every six months.

But by all means, let's be able to nominate Lolita every month.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:24 AM   #123
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
I think the point of the rule is that seeing the same book nominated again and again and again turns off many members, and it only takes three members to do it. Nominating a book month after month despite the category hoping it'll finally get lucky is sort of a perversion of the process. The rule also encourages people to nominate a book in a month it fits well since it only gets one shot every six months.

But by all means, let's be able to nominate Lolita every month.
You can only nominate a book if it fits in the given month's category. Some books can fit in multiple categories and those are the ones that can be nominated multiple times given that they fit.

Lolita doesn't fit into any category we have. Unless I missed something and we have perverted books as a category.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:42 AM   #124
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You can only nominate a book if it fits in the given month's category. Some books can fit in multiple categories and those are the ones that can be nominated multiple times given that they fit.
I don't know if I've ever seen a book disqualified. Some people have voluntarily withdrawn their nominations, but it seems the club's stance has always been that, besides the six-month rule, the process itself will be what determines what fits in a given month. So without the six-month rule, just three people could ensure that the same book is nominated every month.

Quote:
Lolita doesn't fit into any category we have. Unless I missed something and we have perverted books as a category.
Honestly, I think you might like Lolita being nominated every month because it would give you something to complain about.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:10 PM   #125
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:

Honestly, I think you might like Lolita being nominated every month because it would give you something to complain about.
I might just do that!
Old 01-28-2013, 03:16 PM   #126
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Potential categories for Lolita:
Classical Literature, published at least 25 years ago
Classics (it's certainly been influential and survives as a work of important literature)
Free-for-all
Lottery
Suspense/Thriller (or whatever genre Silence of the Lambs belongs in)
Non-genre literary (no idea how that works)

I don't think it's won any specific awards, but it's been included on several "100 most important books" lists.

We could, hypothetically, have a "perverted books" category. Lolita, the works of V.C. Andrews, Twisted Fairy Tales, some of Heinlein's more incest-condoning novels, the Gor series...

Hm. I bet we'd have a lot of fun discussing a "perverted books" category even if we didn't want to use them for the book club. Or maybe it could be a good category. After all, the plan isn't "read every book nominated or discussed;" it's "read one book"--and I bet we could have a great discussion about what makes one of those books a "perverted" book.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:19 PM   #127
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Hm. I bet we'd have a lot of fun discussing a "perverted books" category even if we didn't want to use them for the book club. Or maybe it could be a good category. After all, the plan isn't "read every book nominated or discussed;" it's "read one book"--and I bet we could have a great discussion about what makes one of those books a "perverted" book.
That's not a bad idea. Other options could include previously banned books, contested/protested books and simply controversial books.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:22 PM   #128
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
I don't know if I've ever seen a book disqualified. Some people have voluntarily withdrawn their nominations, but it seems the club's stance has always been that, besides the six-month rule, the process itself will be what determines what fits in a given month. So without the six-month rule, just three people could ensure that the same book is nominated every month.
Not that it's terribly relevant to the discussion but books are sometimes removed due to no e-availability.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:06 PM   #129
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Potential categories for Lolita:
Classical Literature, published at least 25 years ago
Classics (it's certainly been influential and survives as a work of important literature)
Free-for-all
Lottery
Suspense/Thriller (or whatever genre Silence of the Lambs belongs in)
Non-genre literary (no idea how that works)
Lolita would fit in Classical Literature, Free-for-all and Lottery. But it's not a classic (it's influence is to pedophiles and it's only important to pedophiles). It is not a romance. Romance is not about a pedophile lusting after a little girl.

I don't like banning books. But any book that deals with pedophilia has to go. That is one subject I do feel strongly about doing away with.

Last edited by JSWolf; 01-28-2013 at 05:09 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:13 PM   #130
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
I might just do that!
Seconded!
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:27 PM   #131
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
That's not a bad idea. Other options could include previously banned books, contested/protested books and simply controversial books.
I think it's a good idea. I've already thought it would be a good idea to have a banned book category. That would include books from The Grapes of Wrath to The Jungle to Lolita and many other great books.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:33 PM   #132
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I think if we do a banned book month it should be in September to coincide with Banned Books Week.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:33 PM   #133
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I think if we do a banned book month it should be in September to coincide with Banned Books Week.
Excellent idea. Can't you pull rank on this one?
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:34 PM   #134
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I would support that!

I want Fantasy and Science Fiction, though.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:06 PM   #135
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Didn't someone post about The Dresden Files qualifying as biography because it was about Harry Dresden? Using that logic, Lolita qualifies as autobiography/memoir by Humbert Humbert.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote