Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 03:33 PM   #31
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
@signum - thanks for all the comments - just what we were looking for (well, hoping there wasn't anything but of course there's always something )

1) I'll fix those entities. As for others, well that's just an Example list. You're supposed to create your own, copy those, use them, ignore them. I'll add some, but its got the basics in it so people know what can be done. Though if someone wants to post a larger list to use, please do

2) ctrl-shift-return works for me on Ubuntu. Did you override the default keyboard shortcut? Is something in KDE catching it? Try changing Insert Split Marker to another shortcut and see if it works

3) Ah, zero length file - we'll look at it. EDIT: longstanding issue that won't be fixed anytime soon. Sigil assumes you have a valid EPUB to start. EDIT - seems KDE related issue, will try Qt file dialog instead of native.

4) KDE and multi-select in Sigil or Qt don't get on. I tried KDE but had to leave it because of this.

5) We'll retest on the regex search issue, but those types of issues were addressed - maybe they came back. Without a specific test it is hard to track though.

6) Save as sounds quite unusual so we'll test that. EDIT - seems fine on Ubuntu and Windows. What exact scenario can be used to reproduce this?

Last edited by meme; 10-02-2012 at 02:57 AM.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:35 PM   #32
elchamaco
Zealot
elchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle, boox
Hi,

Changes are great and welcome, but cannot get back edit+preview editing mode. New mode is good but not replaces the old edit+preview.

Thx for this great software.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:51 PM   #33
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@elchamaco - see this post by meme for an alternative.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:47 PM   #34
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by ludovicus View Post
Not working on OS X (10.6.8) either.
10.6 isn't and won't be supported. It's EOL by Apple and no longer receiving security updates. Only Apples supported OS X version will be considered.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:00 PM   #35
signum
Zealot
signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: none
Additional data for my issue 6)
This will reproduce the problem on my system. Create this 3-line file using your favorite text editor -
html body
Hello, world!
body html
(angle brackets and slashes need to be inserted to make this valid html)
save as "crash.html". Open "crash.html" with lowriter. Save as "crash.odt", making sure the "auto select file name extention" IS checked. Open "crash.html" with sigil. Save as will lead you to an error pop-up that says "Sigil has encountered a problem. Please report it on the issue tracker, including the defails from this tracker." At this point, no buttons work and I have to cancel it from another window. Repeat the experiment starting with opening "crash.txt" with lowriter, this time making sure the "auto select..." check box is NOT checked. Later, when you try to "save as" in Sigil, things work as they should, without problems. The point is, before you even start to use sigil, the check box should be cleared externally.

2) Probable Error Between Chair And Keyboard. I was trying to use <ctrl-alt-enter>, which is unassigned instead of <ctrl-shift-enter>, which works fine for me, too.

1) I hadn't realized that this page was changable. I was assuming it like it was the "Insert Special Characters" screen, which is not changeable, I believe. I've fixed the typo and added single quotes for my own use. Thanks for being patient with me!

Last edited by signum; 10-01-2012 at 07:05 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:08 PM   #36
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Loving it so far! I'm trying to blow it up, I swear... but I'm not having any luck.

Any super-secret-squirrel methods/keystrokes/menus to turn off the auto-complete for the search/replace fields? I could have sworn we (the forum) talked the devs into ditching that feature in one of the previous releases. Seems it's back. I'll learn to live it if I have to, of course, but it can literally drive me batsh!t crazy at times (not just with Sigil).

Or at least a way to delete a single botched expression from the history, so the auto-complete doesn't keep trying to get me to botch it again ... and again? Perhaps it's there and I'm just missing it (hope, hope, hope)?

Other than that, I'm digging all the cool new features so far.

EDIT: I am occasionally getting a "This program has stopped working" error on 32-bit Vista when I close Sigil, but it's pretty random. I thought I saw something (in this, or the last thread) about errors with the Open With calibre plugin on 32-bit Windows in conjunction with Sigil, but now I can't find it. But either way, I'm not using it with the Open With plugin when I get the error.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 10-01-2012 at 08:21 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:08 AM   #37
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@DiapDealer - no-one has reported any errors from when they close Sigil, so that is a new one to me. The Open With issue was that launching Sigil showed an error dialog box where it complained about conflicting C runtime dlls before starting up anyway. It wasn't a crash like you mention above, and the new Open With plugin should avoid that issue.

Please do keep experimenting to see if you can replicate that close Sigil crash, I have never seen that one but would like to eliminate it.

Edit: Did you get the closing crashes with the 0.5.905 build too, or just this one? That would help us track it down. As meme reminded me that sounds like a memory cleanup issue. It most likely will be that using some particular feature of Sigil is triggering it. If you can remember which feature(s) you were using in those sessions where it crashed that may help...

Last edited by kiwidude; 10-02-2012 at 03:46 AM.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:30 AM   #38
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Any super-secret-squirrel methods/keystrokes/menus to turn off the auto-complete for the search/replace fields? I could have sworn we (the forum) talked the devs into ditching that feature in one of the previous releases. Seems it's back. I'll learn to live it if I have to, of course, but it can literally drive me batsh!t crazy at times (not just with Sigil).

Or at least a way to delete a single botched expression from the history, so the auto-complete doesn't keep trying to get me to botch it again ... and again? Perhaps it's there and I'm just missing it (hope, hope, hope)?
There isn't currently a way, no. I must admit it is one thing that I had wondered about from time to time and I too was surprised to find it in the 0.5.9 code.

There are times where it can be great (like recalling a <h3>\1</h3> replace expression or similar). But there are other times where as you say what it recalls is not the one you want.

I think the only way autocompletion would keep everyone happy would be if the dropdown filtered itself in response to what you typed and dropped down, so the user had to actually hit the down arrow keys to select an entry. Rather than automatically just choosing the first recent match which as you say if not actually relevant to your action becomes really annoying to keep hitting backspace to clear.

I'll put it on our list to take a look at. It could be simpler to just turn autocompletion off completely.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:30 AM   #39
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura / PB Lux 2 / Bookeen Frontlight / Kobo Mini / Nook Color
After playing around with the new two betas for the last few days I have to say I really really love it.
Especially the Clip manager and the Saved Searches.

I just wonder if it were possible to add shortcuts to some of the self defined ones, that would be great.

Do I see it right that when I go to the Saved Searches and mark a few of them at ones and then click on "apply" that all of them will be carried out one after the other? If yes, in which order?

I would like to see one more tiny improvement, although it might be that it is a) too dangerous and b) just important to me, but I have some points where I have to repeat a search and replace a few times. I don't mean just "replace all", but that those replace_alls create new instances of the same search pattern. I would like to see an option like "repeat until none found". Not sure if anyone else would like it, and like I said, this might be dangerous if you do something like search for "a" and replace it with "a" and create an infinite loop that way. Maybe "repeat until none found but at most x times"...
Old 10-02-2012, 06:45 AM   #40
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

@WS64 - I only just discovered this myself a few days ago - but you know how you can create groups in the Search Manager? Well if you put the set of operations you want to perform together in a group, select the group node and then using that dialog use the button like Replace All, it will run all of those child Find/Replace operations in sequence. It is very cool.

So for instance I created a group to cleanup word cruft. It removes all sorts of stuff in a series of expressions. Then all I have to do is hit ctrl+Alt+F, select my group and hit Replace All and job done.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:07 AM   #41
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
@DiapDealer - no-one has reported any errors from when they close Sigil, so that is a new one to me. The Open With issue was that launching Sigil showed an error dialog box where it complained about conflicting C runtime dlls before starting up anyway. It wasn't a crash like you mention above, and the new Open With plugin should avoid that issue.

Please do keep experimenting to see if you can replicate that close Sigil crash, I have never seen that one but would like to eliminate it.
Will do. I'd like to say that when it happens ... it happens when there's unsaved changes being discarded, but it's not every time unsaved changes are being discarded. Perhaps a certain feature in combination with unsaved changes being discarded? I'll keep trying. I guess it could also just be my comp (although that sort of thing is definitely out of the ordinary for my machine).

Quote:
Edit: Did you get the closing crashes with the 0.5.905 build too, or just this one? That would help us track it down. As meme reminded me that sounds like a memory cleanup issue. It most likely will be that using some particular feature of Sigil is triggering it. If you can remember which feature(s) you were using in those sessions where it crashed that may help...
I never got a chance to give 0.5.905 a workout on Windows. Just Linux (and then only very casually).
Old 10-02-2012, 08:04 AM   #42
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

@DiapDealer - yeah these sorts of issues can be a royal pain to track down. If we can ever replicate then there is hope for fixing it - attaching a debugger as a starting point to find out what it was trying to do at the time. If necessary I can dive into crash dumps with the SDK debugging tools, though only as a last resort as it is a massive time sink.

There are of course sometimes issues for some users with their environment, like the KDE related issues with Qt for instance. Wacom mouse problems, antivirus, Qt versions and all those other weird and wonderful things that we can do little about as an application developer.

With all that said, a vast number of crashing scenarios have come down to bugs in Sigil code, be it not handling exceptions during cross threaded operations, race conditions or by not disposing of memory/resources correctly.

We will certainly keep testing and of course if others notice the same issue do please report it.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:30 AM   #43
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
@WS64 - I only just discovered this myself a few days ago - but you know how you can create groups in the Search Manager? Well if you put the set of operations you want to perform together in a group, select the group node and then using that dialog use the button like Replace All, it will run all of those child Find/Replace operations in sequence. It is very cool.

So for instance I created a group to cleanup word cruft. It removes all sorts of stuff in a series of expressions. Then all I have to do is hit ctrl+Alt+F, select my group and hit Replace All and job done.
Very cool indeed!
Old 10-02-2012, 08:48 AM   #44
Man Eating Duck
Addict
Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony PRS-650
I hope I haven't overlooked an obvious solution this time as well, and this is only a little inconvenient, but ...

About search: The Replace button is really "Replace/Find Next". This is handy at times, but not when you'd like to verify the result of your fancy regex replace a few times, or maybe even for all hits. If there's not a super-secret-squirrel method* to see it without advancing to the next hit, might I suggest that you add another button/function "Replace/Find", and make them both actually do what they say? Indesign does something like this (see attachment), and it works well

Alternatively drop the "Find" functionality of the Replace button, after all it's easy to set up shortcut keys to hit alternatingly.

Edit: after thinking a bit more about this I realise that Sigil's currenct functionality is not uncommon in editing software. To me it's still a bit counterintuitive, and it hinders checking of complex replacing.

* courtesy of DiapDealer
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	find_replace.png
Views:	158
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	93220  

Last edited by Man Eating Duck; 10-02-2012 at 09:02 AM.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:02 AM   #45
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Eating Duck View Post
About search: The Replace button is really "Replace/Find Next". This is handy at times, but not when you'd like to verify the result of your fancy regex replace a few times, or maybe even for all hits. If there's not a super-secret-squirrel method* to see it without advancing to the next hit, might I suggest that you add another button/function "Replace/Find", and make them both actually do what they say? Indesign does something like this (see attachment), and it works well.
I do enjoy that functionality in the S&R engines of text editors that have it: Replace current/Replace Current & Find Next/Replace All. It's handy to immediately see the results of the replace a few times before committing to either of the other options.

More of a luxury/wish-list item for me, though. It would be appreciated but certainly not expected.
Closed Thread