Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-23-2012, 02:11 PM   #16
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Sounds like a plan. I don't know what I will do my Silver. I am stilling using it nightly but once I get a PW I wont need mine. My back is horribly stained from the Marware cover I own so it's useless to try and sell it.
I'm sure that some of the devs here will happily take it for development. I would be in for, say, 10 or 15$ + shipping, but the cost of shipping from the US to Europe is usually prohibitively high, so it probably wouldn't make sense
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:13 PM   #17
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenn1 View Post
I sold mine with the case that stained it. :-) I only sold it for $25. since the warranty is only good for another month or so but I have seen them sold on Craigslist for more than new devices.
My warranty ran out on the 15th of this month. $25 is not worth the bother to ship somewhere. I am still using my cover on the new K4B. By now the cover is worn enough it shouldn't stain anything.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:47 PM   #18
Martyd
Zealot
Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard,nexus 7,Kindle Voyage
The talk about screen improvements on the new Kindle are giving me hope. I saw a picture with the two Kindles on the support page at Amazon. Take a look. You have to look at the two Kindles from a distance to see the difference in the background. This is what I see when my KK is next to my Kindle silver and viewed from about 8 feet away.
Anyway, look at the difference in the white areas on this page, on Amazon yet. They look very different to me.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200774090
Martyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:48 PM   #19
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyd View Post
The talk about screen improvements on the new Kindle are giving me hope. I saw a picture with the two Kindles on the support page at Amazon. Take a look. You have to look at the two Kindles from a distance to see the difference in the background. This is what I see when my KK is next to my Kindle silver and viewed from about 8 feet away.
Anyway, look at the difference in the white areas on this page, on Amazon yet. They look very different to me.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200774090
That looks like a composited image rather than a photo of a stack of two kindles. The different contrast values could have been done in an image processing program (or even in the camera itself). So that is really just an "artists rendition", as such... The side-by-side photos are much more reliable (same lighting and same camera settings, with no auto-exposure differences fudging the "virtual" comparison).

But is apparent that they want to think that the new K4 has a brighter screen, perhaps to encourage people who already have an old "silver" K4 to buy a newer better "black" K4. Marketing gimmick, although partially true.

Heck, their photo makes the new K4 look as good as the Paperwhite.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:10 PM   #20
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kobo
I used to have to read my KS lying on my right side facing the lamp when I read in bed. Now (using the KB) I don't have to and can see it very clearly. When I sold my KS to my neighbour I didn't want her to see the KB (sneaky I know) because I worried she wouldn't like the KS by comparison. As it was she was thrilled with the KS (as was I when I first got it). I don't care if it is an optical illusion I am really enjoying my new Kindle. :-)
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:13 AM   #21
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenn1 View Post
I used to have to read my KS lying on my right side facing the lamp when I read in bed. Now (using the KB) I don't have to and can see it very clearly. When I sold my KS to my neighbour I didn't want her to see the KB (sneaky I know) because I worried she wouldn't like the KS by comparison. As it was she was thrilled with the KS (as was I when I first got it). I don't care if it is an optical illusion I am really enjoying my new Kindle. :-)
That is sneaky. My reading place has change too. When I had my K3 I read on one side of the sofa but with K4S I couldn't without using a book light which gives me headaches. Now I got the K4B I am back to my favorite spot and take less breaks. I need to remember to blink more. lol
Old 09-25-2012, 06:46 AM   #22
GlassX
Connoisseur
GlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle 3, K4NT
For those of you who went from a K3 to a K4, how is life without a keyboard?
I can probably live without the audio, but I'm afraid the absence of the keyboard will limit me much.
I don't keep notes or anything like that and I use my Kindle only for reading books, but I use the "Search" in some books (especially like aGoT books with million different characters, where I want to remember who is who). I'm afraid it will seem like a downgrade for me.
On the other hand as the K3 wifi only is not available and the 3G is at double the price of the K4, I wonder if the keyboard is worth the money difference.
GlassX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:22 AM   #23
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassX View Post
For those of you who went from a K3 to a K4, how is life without a keyboard?
I can probably live without the audio, but I'm afraid the absence of the keyboard will limit me much.
I'm loving it. I always hated the keyboard. It got in the way since I never used it. I do miss the audio, but not enough to give up the great form factor of the K4S.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:14 AM   #24
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kobo
I didn't like the audio and the keyboard got in my way. I loved the difference when I went to the K4S. It was so light and really felt more like a book. It's even better with the KB.
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:59 PM   #25
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

I sometimes miss the Keyboard when doing a search but I don't use it enough for it to be a big deal for me. I love the size and how light the K4 is compared to the K3. Its like a pocket reader with a 6" screen.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:59 AM   #26
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
$25 is so little!!
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:52 AM   #27
laura99
laura99 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I switched from a K3 to a K4 last year as well. My K4 screen was not as good as the K3, but I liked this little reader so much I kept it and gave the keyboard to my Mom (who still had a K2). I did try one replacement, but it was not an improvement.

GlassX - I don't miss the keyboard or any of the other features at all! Typing is a pain, but I do it so seldom it is OK. I you type often, it could be a deal breaker. I don't feel like I downgraded at all.

The Paperwhite and the light made me think I could try going without the physical buttons for the better contrast the light gave. My husband got one, and after reading on it yesterday, I am still not convinced I would be happy with the touch.

After reading this thread I am thinking about trying a new K4. I know that e-ink is very inconsistent, but it sounds like maybe the have weeded out all the bad ones. Thanks for the reports!
laura99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:18 AM   #28
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisy View Post
The box is black!!

BTW. here you can see unboxing, author promise, that video with comparison to Kindle 2011 also will be made.

Poland? unfortunately, I only speak Spanish and English... :-(

Nice "reviewer hands" though ... lol ...
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:05 PM   #29
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
I now have the K4 and PW, and posted photos of the three side by side here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...192526&page=30
The K4B background and contrast are the best of the three. There is no comparison between the 2011 and 2012 model, even with the same firmware.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:33 PM   #30
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
I now have the K4 and PW, and posted photos of the three side by side here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...192526&page=30
The K4B background and contrast are the best of the three. There is no comparison between the 2011 and 2012 model, even with the same firmware.
This is sad! I was hoping the PW would be just as good but the reports and I am reading alot of QC issues with the PW.
Maybe I should get another K4B and a KFHD and call it good.