Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-19-2012, 01:45 AM   #781
macuso
macuso began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone4, Kindle
Bluefire is a great app, unfortunately have some bugs in my iPhone device:

1. The images in my books are way too big than the screen of my device and there is no way to scale or zoom the images. Even some book image covers are way out of screen.
2. I can't use the entire screen for reading. Is letting a margin arround the text, even if I set the tinniest amount of margin in settings. Also is letting more margin in the right side of the scree than into the left one. The white margin is uneven. Will be great to have an option to use the ENTIRE screen for reading, especially on small devices like iPhone. In Stanza I can use the entire screen for reading. There, the padding area around text is more customizable.
3. No reading bar on bottom. I'm used with Stanza, where, when reading I have a tiny-tiny progress bar (like 2-3 pixels or so) on bottom of page.
4. Georgia is not into the Font list. An option to add more fonts will be great.

P.S. A cover-flow mode will be also great to have, especially for collections.

Last edited by macuso; 07-19-2012 at 01:50 AM.
macuso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:31 AM   #782
Valkrider
Addict
Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, iPadAir2, PRS600, iPhone 6, iPod, Palm TX
1: Is down to the creator of the eBook. There are certain guidelines as to image size that the creator is probably not following.
Valkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:38 AM   #783
macuso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkrider View Post
1: Is down to the creator of the eBook. There are certain guidelines as to image size that the creator is probably not following.
Actually I'm reading some books created by me!
Please you are kind to share more knowledge about this guidelines? Where I can find some resources/tutorials about creating perfect books?
Old 07-19-2012, 02:42 AM   #784
macuso

5. I forgot to mention the AutoScroll feature. Will be great to have an option to scroll and autoscroll instead of swipe the pages.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:01 AM   #785
Valkrider
Addict
Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, iPadAir2, PRS600, iPhone 6, iPod, Palm TX
Have a look at this software http://www.jutoh.com/ download the manual (its free) and read the section about images and image size. Also have a look at this http://jon404.com/sps-update.htm about formatting for Kindle, there are some relevant formatting and size tips in there that are relevant to ePub too IMHO.
Valkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:44 AM   #786
jswinden
Nameless Being

Never mind....

Last edited by jswinden; 07-19-2012 at 11:51 AM.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:16 AM   #787
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
The best source of information is getting it directly from Amazon. Here is a link to their Kindle Publishing Guidelines.

Not much help for ePub which is what is being talked about in this thread.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:51 AM   #788
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Not much help for ePub which is what is being talked about in this thread.

Dale
Oops, my bad! Not enough sleep! I know Bluefire is an ePub reader so not sure why I defaulted to mobi...
Old 07-25-2012, 01:37 AM   #789
macuso

I have hard time displaying special characters (romanian diacritics) in Bluefire.
Please if somebody could help, please take a look at following epub and point what is wrong in it. I spent a lot of time trying to fix, but no luck. The problems appear with underlined text and after the underlined text, the special characters are displayed as x squares, like into the following screenshot.

[link removed - moderation]

Strange but I don't have any issues with bold characters or after bold text.

Last edited by dreams; 07-25-2012 at 12:37 PM. Reason: [link removed - moderation]
Old 07-31-2012, 08:05 PM   #790
ataraxicdave
ataraxicdave began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad 2
Hello, i just wanted to congratulate the maker on a great app. I currently use it as the only reader on my aunt's Ipad 3, However i can't use it on my own Ipad 2, because of jailbreak. I wanted to ask him if i should get my hopes up for a fix on august, you know, most of the bad reviews that keep bluefire on 3 star are due to that crash. Anyway, props for a great reading app, i look forward to a reply.
ataraxicdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:02 AM   #791
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by ataraxicdave View Post
...However i can't use it on my own Ipad 2, because of jailbreak. ...
I don't understand why you would not be able to use it on your jailbroken iPad. Works fine on my jailbroken iPhone. I don't actually use it at the moment, still waiting for further improvement, but it works.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:16 AM   #792
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
When you go to exit Bluefire on a jailbroken iOS device, the device crashes and needs to reboot.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:48 AM   #793
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude
Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad
Regarding Romanian. We have a customer that we provide an app to in Romania "Elephant.ro" They ran into similar problems but figured it out. You might try connecting with them. Or you could send me an epub and I'd look at it to see if i have any ideas. mbowers - at - bluefirereader.com
Micah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:51 AM   #794
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude
Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataraxicdave View Post
Hello, i just wanted to congratulate the maker on a great app. I currently use it as the only reader on my aunt's Ipad 3, However i can't use it on my own Ipad 2, because of jailbreak. I wanted to ask him if i should get my hopes up for a fix on august, you know, most of the bad reviews that keep bluefire on 3 star are due to that crash. Anyway, props for a great reading app, i look forward to a reply.
God, those bad reviews torture me endlessly. It is something we can't fix due to how we use C++ libraries (rendering engine) and how that relates to memory management. You could get an app like backgrounder to force the app to quit when you exit it, or you could download "ebooks reader" by the German company "libri.de" which is just Bluefire Reader with a different skin. They had so many jailbroken devices in Germany that we changed the app so it quits whenever a user switches to a different app rather than going into the background.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:54 AM   #795
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude

For you jailbreakers, it really is unfair to give an app poor reviews for problems on jailbroken devices. For some apps it is easy, for others impossible. There's no debugging tools for jailbroken OS's, no simulator, and lots of variables. It is simply not fair to developers to judge them on that. if you jailbreak, and an app does not work, don't use it. but please, please don't mar the reviews or ratings.