Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 05-23-2010, 02:28 PM   #1
Lord_Pall
Lord_Pall began at the beginning.

Device: Prs-505, reb1200, reb1100
RIP Jetbook

Today my Ectaco Jetbook, bedecked in white plastic, purchased from Newegg during their first sale, has died.

It joins the hallowed list of Ebook Readers past, the REB 1250 and PRS-500 #1, cruely smote before their true end of life.

Anyhoo.
My jetbook screen cracked. No idea what caused it, I suspect a cat landed on it when jumping down from the window.

And it broke RIGHT after you guys explained how to reliably get books onto it.
(No characters other than letters in the filenames).

Now i'm sad and don't know what to replace it with. EInk is still too fragile and I think the jetbook replacements are too pricey too.. I just got an Ipad, but it's not really the same, especially in sunlight..

It was a good run, and knowing what I know now, I'd recommend it to future buyers..

As a sidenote, any ideas how much a replacement screen costs?
Lord_Pall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 03:11 PM   #2
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
I think it will be a good idea to contact Ectaco and ask them if you can exchange your broken unit for the new one or for jetBook-Lite. They may offer a good price for this exchange.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2010, 06:01 AM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I'm sorry for your loss.

I may be selling mine. It depends on when I will be coming to the U.S., which MAY be in another 3-4 weeks. (Not certain at this point; tickets have yet to be purchased.)

Again, I'm sorry that this happened to you.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 09:10 AM   #4
Lord_Pall

I contacted them to see how much repairs would be. I'll post back once they respond.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:35 PM   #5
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Kill the cat, buy a new ebook reader of any flavor, and keep it in a hard case when not reading it.

Just kidding about the cat
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2010, 01:17 AM   #6
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
don't whine to me I told you to get cat insurance
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 01:34 AM   #7
jblitereader
Addict
jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.

Device: jetbook lite
Should have had that lizard as a pet instead of a cat.
jblitereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 06:04 AM   #8
DJHARKAVY
Addict
DJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Blackberry, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
don't whine to me I told you to get cat insurance
He needed Jetbook insurance, not cat insurance. The cat is fine.
DJHARKAVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 01:53 PM   #9
Lord_Pall

Ectaco wants $110 for the replacement.

That's a hard sell for me, as much as I like that screen.

Eink is right out until they get the plastic substrate, and the Sony 900 isn't crisp enough to be a reasonable alternative.

I'll try the Ipad, but it's hard to go back to a backlit lcd...

Perhaps the PixelQI stuff will launch in the summer.. Or that new Asus reader looks to be using the same screen as the Ectaco..
Old 06-01-2010, 03:12 PM   #10
DJHARKAVY
Addict
DJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Blackberry, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Pall View Post
Ectaco wants $110 for the replacement.

That's a hard sell for me, as much as I like that screen.

Eink is right out until they get the plastic substrate, and the Sony 900 isn't crisp enough to be a reasonable alternative.

I'll try the Ipad, but it's hard to go back to a backlit lcd...

Perhaps the PixelQI stuff will launch in the summer.. Or that new Asus reader looks to be using the same screen as the Ectaco..
Wait for a sale and buy a JBL for $100ish.
DJHARKAVY is offline   Reply With Quote