Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 02-17-2010, 07:30 PM   #1
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
German SIM working in nook

As described here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...21&postcount=3
Working perfectly.
Took me about 30minutes. About 20 of those I've lost because of an idiotic mistake: Forgot to take the PIN out. So it wasn't working but didn't give an error code.
After that: Flawlessly.
I'm using my iPhone T-Mobile card.
The nookDevs guys really are geniuses.
I can't purchase B&N books on nook though, I'd need VPN like we all do on the PC.

Last edited by mgmueller; 02-17-2010 at 07:44 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:02 PM   #2
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Hi,

I did it too. Surprisingly, I can download B&N book samples directly to my Nook; but still cannot purchase direct from Nook.

Nookbrowser also works well with my local sim card.
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2010, 09:06 PM   #3
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthoven View Post
Hi,

I did it too. Surprisingly, I can download B&N book samples directly to my Nook; but still cannot purchase direct from Nook.

Nookbrowser also works well with my local sim card.
I saw your thread before (link above), that's how I found out about it.
Purchasing directly from nook of course would be perfect.
I'm not quite sure, whether I've even got any use for the SIM functionality. But I HAD to try it after having read about it.

Last edited by mgmueller; 02-17-2010 at 10:20 PM.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:06 PM   #4
LaLa4363
Enthusiast
LaLa4363 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook 1st Gen,iPod touch,iPad, iPhone 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Working perfectly.
Took me about 30minutes. About 20 of those I've lost because of an idiotic mistake: Forgot to take the PIN out. So it wasn't working but didn't give an error code.
I can't purchase B&N books on nook though, I'd need VPN like we all do on the PC.
Since you have had time to play with the nook do you still like the PRS 900 more? I'm asking because I'm considering purchasing the nook.

Last edited by LaLa4363; 02-17-2010 at 11:18 PM.
LaLa4363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:30 PM   #5
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLa4363 View Post
Since you have had time to play with the nook do you still like the PRS 900 more? I'm asking because I'm considering purchasing the nook.
In my opinion, you can't compare these two.
nook, to me, is the (nearly) perfect "casual reader". Elegant, cool, B&N shop very good. But it's lacking some essential features (for professional/technical documents), like zoom or advanced configurations (cropping margins).
Sony 900 is extremely polished, equally cool. Far more advanced, but clearly with a less crisp screen.
As I'm permanently switching between casual and professional documents, my ranking remains: #1 = Sony 900, #2 = iRex 800 and #3 =nook.
But if it's about budget, nook definitely ranks extremely high.
BTW: The gap between Sony 900 and iRex 800 gets smaller. At first, I've been a bit disappointed about iRex 800 (high expectations because of the great iRex iLiad). But now iRex 800 really is growing on me. If they implement zoom, it will rank #1. Display quality close to nook, very professional.

But: Depending on your demands, you can't go wrong with nook.

Edit: BeBook Neo has changed the picture, iRex 800 dropping in my list.

Last edited by mgmueller; 02-28-2010 at 11:41 AM.
Advert
Old 02-17-2010, 11:32 PM   #6
klay
klay began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Working perfectly.
Awesome to hear mate. Can you post the details you ended up using in your SQL query? I want to get a database going of known working configurations, potentially put it on the wiki. I've already gone through all the carriers available to me!
klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:34 PM   #7
LaLa4363
Enthusiast
LaLa4363 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook 1st Gen,iPod touch,iPad, iPhone 4
Quote:
In my opinion, you can't compare these two.
nook, to me, is the (nearly) perfect "casual reader". Elegant, cool, B&N shop very good. But it's lacking some essential features (for professional/technical documents), like zoom or advanced configurations (cropping margins).
Sony 900 is extremely polished, equally cool. Far more advanced, but clearly with a less crisp screen.
As I'm permanently switching between casual and professional documents, my ranking remains: #1 = Sony 900, #2 = iRex 800 and #3 =nook.
But if it's about budget, nook definitely ranks extremely high.
BTW: The gap between Sony 900 and iRex 800 gets smaller. At first, I've been a bit disappointed about iRex 800 (high expectations because of the great iRex iLiad). But now iRex 800 really is growing on me. If they implement zoom, it will rank #1. Display quality close to nook, very professional.

But: Depending on your demands, you can't go wrong with nook.
Thanks! I love the 900 but the screen is a disappointment.
LaLa4363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:37 PM   #8
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLa4363 View Post
Thanks! I love the 900 but the screen is a disappointment.
If you like the touchscreen, check out iRex 800. For you in the US it's about the same price as Sony 900. And the screen is extremely close to Sony 505 or nook.

EDIT: Added BeBook Neo to my readers. Way more functions than iRex 800 (already has zoom, has WiFi, ...).

Last edited by mgmueller; 02-28-2010 at 11:41 AM.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:41 PM   #9
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by klay View Post
Awesome to hear mate. Can you post the details you ended up using in your SQL query? I want to get a database going of known working configurations, potentially put it on the wiki. I've already gone through all the carriers available to me!
T-Mobile Germany

INSERT INTO carriers (name, numeric, mcc, mnc, apn, current) VALUES ('t-mobile', '26201', '262', '01', 'smartsites.t-mobile', 1);

smartsites.t-mobile = contracts: Complete S, M, L, XL
internet.t-mobile = all other contracts
Old 02-18-2010, 12:20 AM   #10
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
For AIS, Thailand

INSERT INTO carriers (name, numeric, mcc, mnc, apn, user, server, password, proxy, port, mmsproxy, mmsport, mmsc, type, current)VALUES ('AIS', '52001', '520', '01', 'internet', '*', '', '*', '', '', '', '', '', 'default', 1);

where '' is quote and quote (not double quote)

Last edited by bthoven; 02-21-2010 at 06:02 AM.
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 03:18 AM   #11
:D ominik
Groupie
:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by klay View Post
Can you post the details you ended up using in your SQL query? I want to get a database going of known working configurations, potentially put it on the wiki.
o2 Germany (contract, not prepaid):

INSERT INTO carriers (name, numeric, mcc, mnc, apn, user, server, password, proxy, port, mmsproxy, mmsport, mmsc, type, current) VALUES ('o2-de', '26207', '262', '07', 'surfo2', '', '', '', '', '', '', '', '', 'default', 1);
:D ominik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 04:28 AM   #12
stangri
Addict
stangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: nook
Can you guys add these to http://nookdevs.com/International_SIM_Card_Settings ?
Thanks!
stangri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 09:15 AM   #13
jen6060
Connoisseur
jen6060 began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs505 (given away); Sony prs300; Nook
Hi mgmueller-thanks so much for all your posts and reviews. I like reading them. Awesome to read of being able to use non-US sim card in the Nook. am in spore and just got my Nook. but I'm such a klutz in these things, the string of code etc look like Greek to me. I didnt have much luck in the first plact attempting to strip drm from some of my ebooks just to be able to port them between my readers. Hope someone from Spore with a Nook can figure out how to use a Spore sim card! (and post the series of numbers of course)
jen6060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 11:07 AM   #14
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen6060 View Post
Hi mgmueller-thanks so much for all your posts and reviews. I like reading them. Awesome to read of being able to use non-US sim card in the Nook. am in spore and just got my Nook. but I'm such a klutz in these things, the string of code etc look like Greek to me. I didnt have much luck in the first plact attempting to strip drm from some of my ebooks just to be able to port them between my readers. Hope someone from Spore with a Nook can figure out how to use a Spore sim card! (and post the series of numbers of course)
If you give your country and the exact name of your service provider (sorry, haven't found "Spore" [the iPod game comes up hundreds of times] when briefly checking), I can post the necessary code string here. It's really easy to add it to your nook.
BTW: I've had no idea as well, what I was entering when adding that code. Just followed the description by the letter.
Concerning (De)DRM: You either can send me a PM. Or I can give you some pointers in this forum. But forum regulations don't allow specifics for legal reasons. But if you describe the problems you ran into, others certainly already have had the same.

Last edited by mgmueller; 02-28-2010 at 11:35 AM.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:49 PM   #15
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy Note 5, 2 Fire 7s Note 8
Quote:
If you give your country and the exact name of your service provider (sorry, haven't found "Spore" [the iPod game comes up hundreds of times] when briefly checking), I can post the necessary code string here. It's really easy to add it to your nook.
BTW: I've had no idea as well, what I was entering when adding that code. Just followed the description by the letter.
Concerning (De)DRM: You either can send me a PM. Or I can give you some pointers in this forum. But forum regulations don't allow specifics for legal reasons. But if you describe the problems you ran into, others certainly already have had the same.
I wonder if this would work here in the US. I could use my tmobile sim and have 3g access.
rdfry is offline   Reply With Quote