Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-27-2013, 07:30 AM   #61
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Probably a novel.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:57 AM   #62
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Yeah, but in which series? Harrington, Dahak, Empire of Man?
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2013, 08:04 AM   #63
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Maybe: http://www.baen.com/author_catalog.asp?author=DWeber

??
Old 12-27-2013, 09:40 AM   #64
mcrow
Zealot
mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4/Kindle Fire HD/Kindle Fire HDX 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
As far as I can tell there are no announced Honorverse books to be published in 2014 but there always seems to be two related books a year so I would expect we'll see something in 2014.

The publishing schedule we are aware of for Weber looks light for him.
mcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 10:22 AM   #65
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I don't think we'll get another Weber solo Honorverse book until 2015-16, but if you follow Kenny's link you'll see that Cauldron of Ghosts should be out in April (third and I believe final entry in the Weber/Flint side trilogy). Then in I think October, there's A Call to Duty, with Tim Zahn, which is the first in a new trilogy? about a character named Travis Long who appeared in a story in the most recent collection. That one's already available as an eARC.

Non-Honorverse, there's another Hell's Gate book in production, and I think he's got another Safehold book due for 2014. I also believe he's finally got approval for a big fantasy epic growing out of the Bahzell books but I don't even have any rumors for that.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2013, 10:52 AM   #66
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
The next Safehold book Like A Mighty Army is due February 18, 2014.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:51 AM   #67
mcrow
Zealot
mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4/Kindle Fire HD/Kindle Fire HDX 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
I don't think we'll get another Weber solo Honorverse book until 2015-16, but if you follow Kenny's link you'll see that Cauldron of Ghosts should be out in April (third and I believe final entry in the Weber/Flint side trilogy). Then in I think October, there's A Call to Duty, with Tim Zahn, which is the first in a new trilogy? about a character named Travis Long who appeared in a story in the most recent collection. That one's already available as an eARC.

Non-Honorverse, there's another Hell's Gate book in production, and I think he's got another Safehold book due for 2014. I also believe he's finally got approval for a big fantasy epic growing out of the Bahzell books but I don't even have any rumors for that.
Yeah, he seems like he's doing a lot of work with other authors this year but taking a year off from writing Honorverse stuff.
mcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:59 AM   #68
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
By the way: is that Tree Cat a useful character, or is it some sort of goofy sidekick that's always in the way, intended for comic relief only? If it's the latter, I'll scrap the series on the spot, because I detest that kind of character.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 12:01 PM   #69
kennyc

Spoiler:
Give up!
Old 12-27-2013, 12:13 PM   #70
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
By the way: is that Tree Cat a useful character, or is it some sort of goofy sidekick that's always in the way, intended for comic relief only? If it's the latter, I'll scrap the series on the spot, because I detest that kind of character.
There is nothing comical about Nimitz, nor is he a "sidekick".

They have a bond and he will defend Honor to the death, just as she will him. Yes, she will coo at him occasionally, and spoil him rotten, but its neither syrupy sweet, nor goofball antics.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 12:19 PM   #71
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Nimitz is a useful character.

Without going into too much detail, not only is Nimitz a "person" rather than a comic relief sidekick, he's also the window Weber uses to illustrate the nature of alien intelligence and how difficult it may be to recognize it.

Both Nimitz and the Graysons demonstrate the fallacy of expectations. It's only as the series progresses that the reader learns the depths of both. I actually think it's very well done.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 12:27 PM   #72
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
Nimitz is a useful character.

Without going into too much detail, not only is Nimitz a "person" rather than a comic relief sidekick, he's also the window Weber uses to illustrate the nature of alien intelligence and how difficult it may be to recognize it.

Both Nimitz and the Graysons demonstrate the fallacy of expectations. It's only as the series progresses that the reader learns the depths of both. I actually think it's very well done.
Very well stated!
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 12:31 PM   #73
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Nyssa, Lemurion: Thanks.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 12:39 PM   #74
kennyc

Quote:
Nyssa, Lemurion: Thanks.

Old 12-27-2013, 12:41 PM   #75
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
It's not Art. If you don't find them fun, don't read them. You aren't missing anything. There's quite a lot that's hard to swallow. I always considered the series a guilty pleasure.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote