Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-03-2010, 06:02 AM   #1
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Kindle 3 screen protector - can anyone recommend one?

I normally put a screen protector on but I am loathe to lose the lovely matt screen, so has anyone found a good one yet?

Or are most people not bothering?
Josieb1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 07:01 AM   #2
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
I'm waiting for an MCover - although it can make it more reflective rather than matt, which is not to everyone's taste. However, rather than the vinyl style protectors which, try what may, I always get bubbles in, it has a hard plastic cover which clips in to the case.

Last edited by suecsi; 09-03-2010 at 07:02 AM. Reason: typo
suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2010, 09:14 AM   #3
schulzmc
Zealot
schulzmc doesn't litterschulzmc doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
I'm on my third Kindle, always have a Kindle with me wherever I go, read about 2 hours a day, and have never had a screen protector on any of them. No scratches, no issues. Is there some risk? I'm sure. But for me, it isn't worth the tradeoff.
schulzmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 02:23 PM   #4
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
Invisible Shield screen protectors from Zagg.com protect all my camera displays, GPS units, PDAs, eBook readers, netbooks ... They are the best protection I could find. AND they come with a hassle-free lifetime warranty. Which I just took them up on - so I know it works! (grin)
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 02:26 PM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by schulzmc View Post
I'm on my third Kindle, always have a Kindle with me wherever I go, read about 2 hours a day, and have never had a screen protector on any of them. No scratches, no issues. Is there some risk? I'm sure. But for me, it isn't worth the tradeoff.
I've never used them on a non-touchscreen yet. And the ones I tried on touchscreen devices did little but degrade the view of the screen. I consider screen protectors useless and bothersome.
Advert
Old 09-03-2010, 02:27 PM   #6
secretpact
secretpact began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I'm with schulzmc, I never used a screen protector on my kindle. I got the kindle to enjoy the amazing screen and I don't want to degrade the quality of the text by putting a clear sheet over it.
secretpact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 02:44 PM   #7
matt314159
Groupie
matt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheese

Device: KSO, NookColor (CM7.1), Samsung Mesmerize
Exactly. Any time you add a layer, you're going to add glare, and decrease clarity and contrast. I vote no screen protector, just keep it in a case to protect it when not in use. It's also the same reason amazon doesn't make a touch-screen kindle, because of how the extra layer detracts from the reading experience.

I've used zagg in the past for my electronics, but now prefer bestskinsever.com for that kind of stuff. In my experience, it looks like they use the exact same material, but for 1/3 the cost of zagg. And their CS is great. on my Touch Pro 2, I somehow applied it incorrectly at first, leaving bubbles that didn't resolve, and emailed them fishing for a coupon so I could at least get a discount on buying another one, and they were kind enough to simply ship me a new one for free.

No, they don't have a lifetime warranty, but at 1/3 the cost, you can replace the bestskinsever skin twice before you come up to the cost of one invisible shield. They ship from colorado via 1st class mail, so I usually get the orders within three days. Anyway that's my two cents. Oh and they have a facebook page that frequently has 15% off coupons (at least twice a month)

Last edited by matt314159; 09-03-2010 at 02:46 PM.
matt314159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 03:04 PM   #8
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
>> ... Any time you add a layer, you're going to add glare, and decrease clarity and contrast ...

Then you haven't experienced the Invisible Shield eReader screen protectors. But that's OK - but please don't lump Zagg's products in with the crapola that others offer.

Zagg's Invisible Shield screen protectors actually IMPROVE readability of my eReaders.
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 03:11 PM   #9
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Thanks everyone for your advice.
Josieb1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 03:15 PM   #10
loveangel
Banned
loveangel began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
i don,t have any on my , and still have scratch on mine
loveangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 03:17 PM   #11
sanatogen
sanatogen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I'm about to receive a neoprene cover for mine. Under £10.

Can get it from amazon website.
sanatogen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 03:21 PM   #12
matt314159
Groupie
matt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheese

Device: KSO, NookColor (CM7.1), Samsung Mesmerize
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintbradford View Post
>> ... Any time you add a layer, you're going to add glare, and decrease clarity and contrast ...

Then you haven't experienced the Invisible Shield eReader screen protectors. But that's OK - but please don't lump Zagg's products in with the crapola that others offer.

Zagg's Invisible Shield screen protectors actually IMPROVE readability of my eReaders.
I've used both zagg and BSE on my electronics (I usually go through a couple smartphones a year), and they're made of the same exact material. Zagg is overpriced marketing bs--like buying Monster brand cables vs monoprice.com cables. Any time you add an extra optical/air interface, you decrease quality, I don't care how good the screen protector is. Which is why I do not use, and do not recommend, they be used for eBook readers. The worst thing they add is glare. Second, they detract from the clarity, and lastly, it can and often does affect the contrast.

Let me ask you this: how do zagg's "e-reader protectors" differ from their, say, iPad protector? I've always understood it's the same material cut to different sizes. Don't knock BSE by calling it "crapola" until you've tried it.

*ETA*...thinking it over, it's probably not fair for me to knock contrast with screen protectors, after all lots of laptops add a gloss on their screens to *enhance* contrast...at the expense of horrible glare. But I still stand by my thesis that screen protectors on kindles aren't worth the concomitant degradation in image quality and reading experience. For other small electronics where you interface with the screen more often, yes, they're worth it.

Last edited by matt314159; 09-03-2010 at 03:32 PM.
matt314159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 03:36 PM   #13
flandroid
Connoisseur
flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2/3/4/PW3
I've used Zaggs and BSEs, and like matt314159 says, they are the same.

That said, I wouldn't recommend either one for the Kindle. The glare is compounded by the orange-peel texture (which lessens as the device dries but never goes away entirely).

Bareback is the way to go. Just don't throw your Kindle into a bag full of sharp pieces of metal or uncapped pens and you should be fine.
flandroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:02 PM   #14
JD78
Connoisseur
JD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notes

Device: None
I got this screen protector from Walmart for $5.88. First one went on perfect, so I still have the second as a backup. It claims to reduce glare, but since there was little to no glare to begin with, all i can confirm is that it does not add any glare.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/WriteRight...-Pack/13025710
JD78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 03:47 AM   #15
Trickery
Pew Pew!
Trickery has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Trickery has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Trickery has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle v3
I have a friend that recommends Green Onion Screen Protector for the Kindle:

http://www.amazon.com/Green-Onions-S...dp/B0025KVJEY/

Seems pricey, but she claims that it's the best Anti-Glare protector she's tried out of 4 others.

Does Clint work and/or sell for Zagg? I can't find ANY reviews recommending Zagg for it's optical quality over it's protective qualities. It seems to be great at protecting the body of many of the units that it is sold for, but the majority of high end users feel it is too orange peel like and rubbery when looking at screen quality.

For example, Zagg shield for the body of the iPhone 4 but PowerSupport HD for the actual screen is completely awesome beyond belief.

http://www.powersupportusa.com/acces...lare-film.html
Trickery is offline   Reply With Quote