Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-28-2012, 09:20 PM   #1
Avimimus
Avimimus began at the beginning.

Device: None
Widest formats, customisable, replaceable battery, writing app, primitive

Here is my wishlist... I was wondering if any Gurus had an opinion

Basic architecture:
- Widest possible support of common and non-drm formats (txt, html, epub, pdf, fb2, doc)
- High battery life and a replaceable battery (a relatively common battery model likely to remain in production)
- I like low contrast (so no need for a Pearl display - an E-Ink display will do)
- Highly adjustable fonts, good reflowing. Good PDF handling is desirable

Navigation:
- Keys (preferably remappable) for navigation. A touch screen is of secondary importance (although induction would be convenient)

Organising information:
- Some type of directory structure for organising books.
- Search functionality and some type of exportable indexing/note-taking capability is desirable

Special features:
- A writing application would be nice (and support for a keyboard - especially a USB one)
- Text to speech is also somewhat desirable. A web browser is nice but significantly less important
- I like customisation and open architectures. Preferably support for importing unusual unicode fonts (Cree Syllabics)
- Tolerant of cold temperatures and moisture

I'm leaning towards the Pocketbooks - as they have good button mapping, customisability, very wide format support and a replaceable battery. However, they lack a writing app (or the open architecture to make one).

Are there any better options for me?
Avimimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:35 PM   #2
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
no, according to your criteria the PocketBook 912 is the one that is the closest fit
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2012, 10:53 PM   #3
Avimimus

Thanks - is there any reason why I should get a 912 (other than the greater ease of pdf reading) rather than one of the other models?
Old 02-28-2012, 11:27 PM   #4
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

the 912 has the pen for writing that the 902 doesnt have. I really dont remember at the moment whether they have got writing/scribbling working yet.

if not i suggest the M92. writing works just fine however the buttons are not customizable.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:29 PM   #5
Avimimus

Thanks, I need keyboard support for this to work - we're talking writing in large volumes - not just stickies.

I'm curious if there are any E-readers with good word processing support out there. I love my Alphasmart Neo for drafting - but it would be nice to have something else to offload to for editing.
Advert
Old 02-28-2012, 11:36 PM   #6
Dulin's Books
Wizard

there is no eink reader at the moment that offers word processing support or keyboard compatibility. PocketBook suggest they have it but so far I havent seen it work.